Good value?....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I've got the Cresta one Mark, but I suspect the basic cases are all knocked out at the same place with the coloured trim added afterwards.
I bought it in July as I'd got a couple of fishing holidays with the family coming up, Lower Severn in August, Warks Avon in September.
My (estate)car occupancy includes me, wife and dog (lab/retriever 40kg+) tackle, bait, clothes, shoes etc, enough food to last the first half of the week (including for kids and grandkids) plenty of cans and bottles, plus the dog's food and bits and pieces.
The good thing about the ABS case was that it would fit on top of the passenger seats between the front head-restraint and windows so it was safe and sound without taking up any room for the rest of the luggage. It comfortably held four float rods, three feeder/lead rods, a couple of long whips, two net handles plus bank sticks and feeder arm and some waterproofs laid flat down the middle.
Sounds good, at the moment I alternate between a Preston Innovations monster hardcase holdall or a 4-6 tube frenzee holdall. I have a Zafira, drop the rear seats, and wheel space shuttle in one side, seatbox and bags etc the other side , holdall down the middle. Only room for a passenger in the front.

rob48

Reaction score
Sounds good, at the moment I alternate between a Preston Innovations monster hardcase holdall or a 4-6 tube frenzee holdall. I have a Zafira, drop the rear seats, and wheel space shuttle in one side, seatbox and bags etc the other side , holdall down the middle. Only room for a passenger in the front.
I've got a GTi holdall and carryall which go into my car easily enough with all the other stuff when, like yours, the rear seats are down. It's the holiday trips that put space at a premium and I'm averse to tying expensive rods on roof-racks so this seemed the best solution. I quite like the idea of only having the rods in their bags and not having to faff around with tubes so find I'm using it more and more anyway, and as I always have a couple of fishing holidays each year it will probably recover the outlay eventually.
Going off on a slight tangent regarding discussion of the distance travelled for fishing the other day, I must say I enjoy my fishing a hell of a lot more when I'm staying in a riverside cottage and don't have the prospect of a journey back up the motorway on my mind. It makes for an altogether more agreeable experience, and that's without the glasses of beer or wine and plates of freshly made sandwiches and pork-pies and stuff appearing on my bait-waiter.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Is that the Leeds GTi ?
I have seen the holdalls, then when I wanted one they had none in stock so had to get the frenzee.
As for travelling, if I go up to Warrington to fish , it's just over a 300 mile round trip. Sometimes gets a bit tiring at the end of the day. Started to stay overnight now.

rob48

Reaction score
GTi was/is a luggage manufacturer that was popular in the 90s but then withdrew from angling products and concentrated on gunslips and cartridge bags and similar. It's based up north in Bolton or that area and run by Phil Ogden. I discovered he still did custom orders for fishing gear so I contacted him and he made a holdall and carryall to my own spec.
Since then Cadence have launched their own range of luggage and his company manufacturers it for them.
I find the travelling is dependent on the nature of it, rather than the distance. For instance if I want to get to the Middle/Lower Severn it's a trip through the West Midlands conurbation and/or a run through the M6/M5 interchange, while the Avon between Stratford and Evesham involves circumnavigating Birmingham and a journey along the M42. If you catch any of these areas at the wrong time of day it's horrendous.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
GTi was/is a luggage manufacturer that was popular in the 90s but then withdrew from angling products and concentrated on gunslips and cartridge bags and similar. It's based up north in Bolton or that area and run by Phil Ogden. I discovered he still did custom orders for fishing gear so I contacted him and he made a holdall and carryall to my own spec.
Since then Cadence have launched their own range of luggage and his company manufacturers it for them.
I find the travelling is dependent on the nature of it, rather than the distance. For instance if I want to get to the Middle/Lower Severn it's a trip through the West Midlands conurbation and/or a run through the M6/M5 interchange, while the Avon between Stratford and Evesham involves circumnavigating Birmingham and a journey along the M42. If you catch any of these areas at the wrong time of day it's horrendous.
I remember the GTi range now,
As for the M6 , M42 I know how bad they can be. I go from Oxford to Warrington at least once a month. 15 miles of continuous roadworks and variable speed limit on one stretch alone.
I left last year to go to Warrington, and had to turn back at J4 for Shirley. There was a pile up at Stafford miles down the motorway and it was going to take me at least 90 minutes from J4 to get to Stafford. Went last month ,a two and a half hour journey took me nearly 5 hours, again because of a pile up.
At least if I want to go to Stratford I can go the A roads via Banbury and Gaydon into Stratford.

Last edited:

Andydj

Reaction score
Best luggage I ever bought was by a company called Fishrite still using it after 20 years, so are some of my angling friends. Might find some on ebay.
Not exactly luggage but I have had a fishrite rig board for a similar time. All the more modern ones are too short.

chevin4

Reaction score
Fishrite did a suburb unhooking mat with a zip which could be used as a weight sling. The one I have is designed for pike cracking piece of kit

rob48

Reaction score
Although not for me , here's another take on the ready-assembled holdall option:

Whether their products are suitable or not I have to say the people at Cresta seem to put a lot of thought into the kit that they market.