Seat box

john step

Reaction score
I have often posted about the inadequacies of carp type anglers seats as no matter what make they fail me about every 18 months of use. Either the leg locking mechanisms give way, the canvas splits or the frame breaks.

About 3 yrs ago I bought a basic seat box (Octoplus) to give it ago. I have come to the conclusion that a seat without a backrest is not uncomfortable at all when active fishing like wagglering etc. After all I had a blue Shaky one for donkeys years.
The legs on this box have never slipped down and left me toppling backwards!

The Octobox Plus is a bit small for big bums and the seat is hard so I have been looking at other anglers boxes ( scuse language) and am considering going over to the dark side with full on oil rig.

The main point about this though is how shocked I am at the prices. Is it just me or is someone making excess profit ? Its not as though they are in camo and have a carp sticker on them is it! :eek:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Pete, next time we meet ill give you my daiwa tournament pro seatbox and footplate, for £0
CC3DE9E3-211C-4C66-928D-3CB137AE907F.jpeg
6DBC1CBF-CB31-4455-8131-4C5EB4B2BEE8.jpeg

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Octboxes are undoubtedly expensive. They are seriously over-engineered. I know folks that have been using their for years with zero issues with leg slippage and the like. Every person I know that has one absolutely swears by them.

I don't have a great deal of use for a proper seat box. However, I do like my Browning feeder chair. It's done well for the last few years, but it's starting to get a bit tired. I really wish that Octbox would do a feeder chair (essentially their stool with a backrest), I'd be on it like a shot.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The Octboxes are undoubtedly expensive. They are seriously over-engineered. I know folks that have been using their for years with zero issues with leg slippage and the like. Every person I know that has one absolutely swears by them.

I don't have a great deal of use for a proper seat box. However, I do like my Browning feeder chair. It's done well for the last few years, but it's starting to get a bit tired. I really wish that Octbox would do a feeder chair (essentially their stool with a backrest), I'd be on it like a shot.
Chris check the new Preston Innovations feeder chair out, It's expensive though at around £300.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Chris check the new Preston Innovations feeder chair out, It's expensive though at around £300.
I've seen it. Way too much money and not as well made as Octbox stuff. A complete loss of faith in Korum/Preston chairs was what resulted in me trying the Browning. I suspect I'll get at least another season out of it before the legs/holes become so distorted as to be useless.

nottskev

Reaction score
Chairs look like they should be more comfortable, but I've always found them worse for eg back problems than a seatbox, plus the smaller footprint and much longer leg adjustment of boxes lets you get set up on narrower patches and uneven or sloping banks and puts you in a better position for active fishing.
I'd recommend having a good look around before buying. I've had an Octbox for 6 years, and whilst totally reliable and unbreakable, it's heavy and ,as has been said, over-engineered. I stripped off and sold the sub-frame and footplate, leaving a much much more portable and equally comfortable compact box, with two drawers that I can take off if I don't need what's in them - all the bits and pieces for general float/pole/ feeder.
For other types of fishing - I've mostly been fishing for barbel lately - I've resurrected an old Boss Compact box, no drawers, just a home made lid on a shallow base, and with some extra seat padding, it's proved much lighter than anything else and more comfortable than I expected. It has also changed the way I fish - I don't relish carrying gear, so I tended to commit to a swim and stay there for better or worse. With the light box, a two rod sleeve and a bucket with a lid, I'm fishing several swims. Yesterday afternoon, for instance, I blanked in the first two swims but caught several barbel in the third and fourth swims. A heavy box can end up a bit of an anchor. Even when I'm only likely to get a handful of bites in a session - ie a lot of waiting - I find the boxes better than chairs.
I've got several chairs here, but these days they only get used for sitting in the garden.

john step

Reaction score
Pete, next time we meet ill give you my daiwa tournament pro seatbox and footplate, for £0View attachment 17569View attachment 17570
"WOW" Very kind. PM ON WAY. No its not. I think maybe the web site has changed and I cannot see where one sends a PM.
If you are able to send me one perhaps it would permit me to reply. Pete

Edited again... I tried for a PM by clicking the little envelope top right and typed in your forum name and I got "OOps we ran into problems " so if you try to send me one maybe we can converse. Thanks.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Not an answer to the thread and a bit off topic but just had an idea for uncomfortable seats I was looking into a blow up cushion, it can deflate and fold down and be kept in a box or tackle bag with no weight or room. It would help with height as well which could be helpful on one of my small fold up chairs which is a bit low. They sell some on eBay but I am still looking into it. Just thought I would mention it however, the idea came to me on another forum and the replies about whoppie cushions were not very helpful, droll lot of tits but I still think it has possibilities, anon......

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Not an answer to the thread and a bit off topic but just had an idea for uncomfortable seats I was looking into a blow up cushion, it can deflate and fold down and be kept in a box or tackle bag with no weight or room. It would help with height as well which could be helpful on one of my small fold up chairs which is a bit low. They sell some on eBay but I am still looking into it. Just thought I would mention it however, the idea came to me on another forum and the replies about whoppie cushions were not very helpful, droll lot of tits but I still think it has possibilities, anon......

I caught a rubber cushion the other week when I was lure fishing. I thought it was a lump of wood at first. When it was in the margin I could see that it was the sort shaped like a polo mint that they give out at hospitals to people who have had their “Farmer Giles” operated on.

If you would like it, then I will try to catch it the next time I go. It was covered in brown algae, but that may clean up with bleach and a good scrub. Of course it will count as a recapture, unless there is a shoal of them down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I keep looking to see if any AS1 boxes come up for sale, One or two have but they want stupid money for tatty boxes.
I sold my last one, it was ideal as a gran n go box if I didn't want to take the Preston or a chair.

mikench

Reaction score
I keep looking to see if any AS1 boxes come up for sale, One or two have but they want stupid money for tatty boxes.
I sold my last one, it was ideal as a gran n go box if I didn't want to take the Preston or a chair.
Is that what you pensioners get up to in Oxford???

silvers

Reaction score
Agreed ... silly money ... has been the same for over 3 years now. Don’t know why I look ... I’ve got enough already !

Mind you ... aren’t they too heavy for a grab & go?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Agreed ... silly money ... has been the same for over 3 years now. Don’t know why I look ... I’ve got enough already !

Mind you ... aren’t they too heavy for a grab & go?
No, they are lighter than my Inception when I have stripped it down.
I think the way the strap is makes them feel lighter when on your shoulder.
The last one I had the strap was falling apart. I fitted a strap off an octbox seatbox. Cost me about £8.
I remember when the came out at around £300 which I suppose would be equivalent to £650 at today's prices, I paid £150 for a second hand one around early to mid 1980's.
Boss and Brilo were similar prices If I recall.

silvers

Reaction score
No, they are lighter than my Inception when I have stripped it down.
I think the way the strap is makes them feel lighter when on your shoulder.
The last one I had the strap was falling apart. I fitted a strap off an octbox seatbox. Cost me about £8.
I remember when the came out at around £300 which I suppose would be equivalent to £650 at today's prices, I paid £150 for a second hand one around early to mid 1980's.
Boss and Brilo were similar prices If I recall.
I paid 120 with a maver 4m whip thrown in That I still use ... in 1989 or so. Still have that one.
the other two I’ve bought since for about £40 each off eBay.

i do also remember the RRP being around that cost.

I had heard that modern boxes were a bit “heavy”

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The last one I had I paid £40 for, clean up with metal polish and car polish it looked good,
Sold for £50 only because the bloke was basically buying a float and feeder set up off me.
As for modern boxes seeming heavy, I would say that is down to design and balance when carrying.The AS1 was well balanced and you have the full length of a solid back part of the box against you when you carry it.
A lot of modern boxes and "H" frame boxes have a gap below the top unit, To me this seems to make the box awkward to carry, with an "H" frame sometimes it feels as if it will tip forward when pick it up to put on shoulder,