An old newbie

sevilla315

Reaction score
I grew up in the 70's in Australia, fishing for salt species with bait and some lure fishing, though had a huge fascination for trout in the southern states.
In the late 80's I came to England on a working holiday and ended up staying, I initially fished for predators (pike) with lures and was a member of the Lure Anglers' Society but then moved over to fly fishing for trout, salmon and steelhead. I offloaded a huge collection of lures, Loomis graphite and baitcasters to get fly gear.
One of my friends from Bath is a coarse fisherman from his boyhood and we recently hooked up after a long period apart. We met on the Wye at Monmouth, where I caught a Wye salmon, and later watched him fish and catch a barbel on the last cast of the night. I've renewed my interest in bait fishing so I've started to get together some coarse gear (a bamboo Trotter) and centrepin to start fishing with him, alongside my fly fishing.
Steve

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. I have often stood on the bridge in Monmouth (Monnow?) and wondered what was in there. Unfortunately it was visiting and I never got the chance to find out.

sevilla315

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. I have often stood on the bridge in Monmouth (Monnow?) and wondered what was in there. Unfortunately it was visiting and I never got the chance to find out.
Thanks! Some fisheries are salmon only, but some are both salmon and coarse. There are good barbel in the Wye.
The fishery I was at is Bigsweir; there are many bridges but this one was right on Bigsweir Bridge.
I have recently been offered a spot there, and I will take the opportunity to try out a few of the coarse beats with my friend.

Last edited:

sevilla315

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to christening this outfit this winter
Richard Carter 2.jpg
IMG_4006.JPG
IMG_4008.JPG
IMG_4009.JPG