Recommend a 17ft Float Rod

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Apologies for discussing the general subject being raised in others posts....

nottskev

Reaction score
Apologies for discussing the general subject being raised in others posts....

It often happens that when someone asks a question, they get a few answers and after a couple of days the conversation gets broader.

The OP has got what answers people can muster, and the rest of us might be interested in others' thoughts on the general topic.

Win win, I'd have thought, so I don't think you need apologise.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
One old rod that isn't far off the mark is the Team Daiwa S Mk II 17 to 20' dating from around 2000 which I inherited from a mate. It's a bit of a beast of a rod and too heavy for trotting but I've used it with 5 and 6lb line, a 'pin and 2 gram pole float in 14' of water on local pits for decent (5lb) tench and bream (6lb). At the time - 2000 - we were looking at long rods for trotting and our local shop had two: I bought the cheaper and lighter in weight and action Shakespeare Annex Excell 18-20 and my mate bought this rod.

That said I'd more likely use other rods for tench fishing: the Normark Specimen Match with 7lb line or either a Carbotec 2 or Normark Avenger 2000 with 4lb (as it's Sensor it's really 6lb line).

Keith M

Reaction score
One old rod that isn't far off the mark is the Team Daiwa S Mk II 17 to 20' dating from around 2000 which I inherited from a mate. It's a bit of a beast of a rod and too heavy for trotting but I've used it with 5 and 6lb line, a 'pin and 2 gram pole float in 14' of water on local pits for decent (5lb) tench and bream (6lb). At the time - 2000 - we were looking at long rods for trotting and our local shop had two: I bought the cheaper and lighter in weight and action Shakespeare Annex Excell 18-20 and my mate bought this rod.

That said I'd more likely use other rods for tench fishing: the Normark Specimen Match with 7lb line or either a Carbotec 2 or Normark Avenger 2000 with 4lb (as it's Sensor it's really 6lb line).

In my match days I also bought the Shakespeare Annexe Excell 18/20ft rod when we were to be competing in a few team matches in deep 12ft to 17ft swims, and although compared to more modern rods it was a little bit heavy; it was still quite usable and won and placed me in several team matches on the waggler.

I don’t think It would be my choice today though, given the choices we have now; and no doubt there were other alternatives even then, but it certainly served me well back then; and payed for itself twice over.

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I've three 17' rods. Tricast Finesse 17'. Shimano Aspire 15'/17'. Preston Carbonactive 15'/17'. The first is definitely not suitable, the second may be, but I've not used it much yet. The Carbonactive is, imo, ideal. I've had one since 2002 and it catches hundreds of gravel pit tench every close season.

I mostly use it at 15', where it is light and balanced enough to hold throughout a session. 17' is fine, but I'd want a rest to drop it on if waiting for bites. It is rated by Preston for lines to 8lb and has a sweet, elastic non-lock up action. I'm still using the first, but I like it so much I bought a second off ebay a few years back in case I ever damaged the first. It's pretty well mint and cost £80.

It doesn't come with a full cork handle - it's got a Duplon foregrip and a short piece at the bottom of the handle. I paid a rod builder to replace it with full cork and sliding bands, but that's just me, and the original handle is a very good one of its kind. That range of rods were highly regarded and I've never heard a bad thing from a user.
kev as far as I know the aspire was for a Shimano sponsored angler to use on rivers such as the Trent . I reckon it would handle tench .

@Clive

Reaction score
There is a 2002 edition of Improve Your Coarse Fishing on ebay at the moment. Item number 334796379765

It reviews long rods
  • ii. Long rods on test
  • 1. Browning Syntec Match 18/20ft
  • 2. Chapman’s Supreme 18/20ft
  • 3. Abu Garcia Suveran 16/18ft
  • 4. Pro Performance Match MRM 18/20
  • 5. Preston Innovations Carbon Active 15/17ft
  • 6. Daiwa Connoisseur CNZM1720A
  • 7. MAP Concept Match 18/20ft
  • 8. Normark Crusader 15/20ft Match
  • 9. Shakespeare Annex Match 18/20ft

nottskev

Reaction score
There is a 2002 edition of Improve Your Coarse Fishing on ebay at the moment. Item number 334796379765

It reviews long rods
  • ii. Long rods on test
  • 1. Browning Syntec Match 18/20ft
  • 2. Chapman’s Supreme 18/20ft
  • 3. Abu Garcia Suveran 16/18ft
  • 4. Pro Performance Match MRM 18/20
  • 5. Preston Innovations Carbon Active 15/17ft
  • 6. Daiwa Connoisseur CNZM1720A
  • 7. MAP Concept Match 18/20ft
  • 8. Normark Crusader 15/20ft Match
  • 9. Shakespeare Annex Match 18/20ft

There is indeed. It also promises to tell you How to Tie Hooks, and How to Solve your Meat Problems. all for £1.25.
How on earth did you track that down?

nottskev

Reaction score
kev as far as I know the aspire was for a Shimano sponsored angler to use on rivers such as the Trent . I reckon it would handle tench .

I'd think so, I just stuck to recommending the one I've used for years for tench.
Mind you, the spliced tip on this "special" is super-fine, and the OP talked about casting floats up to 8 swan ......
I'd guess, if they made it for a Trent angler, they might be fishing in the Upper Trent region. A fair bit of match fishing goes on in the Burton area, and tends to involve some old-school very light float fishing. An FM member, Rob, I think, comes on and posts about using some really light lines and tiny hooks. The spliced tips tend to be great for flicking light floats out.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I'd think so, I just stuck to recommending the one I've used for years for tench.
Mind you, the spliced tip on this "special" is super-fine, and the OP talked about casting floats up to 8 swan ......
I'd guess, if they made it for a Trent angler, they might be fishing in the Upper Trent region. A fair bit of match fishing goes on in the Burton area, and tends to involve some old-school very light float fishing. An FM member, Rob, I think, comes on and posts about using some really light lines and tiny hooks. The spliced tips tend to be great for flicking light floats out.
I know ,it is a very fine tip. I am left to believe it was custom made .

rob48

Reaction score
I've been doing it this way for so long that it seems the norm to me Kev.

rob48

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the OP has decided on a rod yet but I've just dug out my 16/18' Suveran and it is in perfect condition, virtually mint apart from a little mud residue on the duplon at the bottom of the handle which would easily rinse off I'm sure.
It's available should anyone require it, failing which it may be pressed into some Bolo duties during my weeks holiday on the Severn in the summer.

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the OP has decided on a rod yet but I've just dug out my 16/18' Suveran and it is in perfect condition, virtually mint apart from a little mud residue on the duplon at the bottom of the handle which would easily rinse off I'm sure.
It's available should anyone require it, failing which it may be pressed into some Bolo duties during my weeks holiday on the Severn in the summer.

I think Simon (Peter Crabtree) liked these. You'd see a feeder version in his HDYGO pics if he'd been after big fish somewhere.

rob48

Reaction score
I think Simon (Peter Crabtree) liked these. You'd see a feeder version in his HDYGO pics if he'd been after big fish somewhere.
They all looked nicely made rods. I seem to recall Roy Marlow being involved in their development, must have been twenty years ago I bet.

nottskev

Reaction score
They all looked nicely made rods. I seem to recall Roy Marlow being involved in their development, must have been twenty years ago I bet.

Yes - they made a big thing about his input to a special shaped grip for the handle iirc. I had a titchy little 8' quiver/feeder version from the first generation which was ahead of it's time - around 1995 - in anticipating the commercial trend for little feeder rods. I got it because it looked cute in the shop and worked ok on the Dane, a little Cheshire river I fished for chub then.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Yes - they made a big thing about his input to a special shaped grip for the handle iirc.

For some reason, they didn't bother with the swollen grip reel seat on the 16/18' Suveran. I suspect that it may have had something to do with the rod being a far greater diameter at the butt than the rest of the range.

@Clive

Reaction score
Yes - they made a big thing about his input to a special shaped grip for the handle iirc. I had a titchy little 8' quiver/feeder version from the first generation which was ahead of it's time - around 1995 - in anticipating the commercial trend for little feeder rods. I got it because it looked cute in the shop and worked ok on the Dane, a little Cheshire river I fished for chub then.

I got one last week, the 11' 8" to 13' version. Only used it once and only casting a couple of rod lengths out so can't really comment on the casting ability. It has a lovely action though and superbly made except for the quiver tips. They are far too fragile and not marked so I have no idea of their rating. I have however got some Shimano tips that are rated, will fit and are probably more robust.

Just waiting for my mule to bring the matching reel over next month.