Barbel From Big Rivers

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Thank you Graham,

A very good and informative read, i really enjoyed it, it has got me thinking that some time in the near future that i would definately like to have a go at fishing for Barbel from a River.

Tight Lines :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading that Graham.....well done!

nicky

Reaction score
nice article graham i recently fished for barbel for the 1st time, at the biblins on the wye caught a few, planning on going back soon so some good info there for someone like me, by the way i used a 2.5lb carp rod 12lb sensor and 10lb hooklink and when i hooked a 7.5lber i was glad i chose strong tackle

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

hey why does it say im a new member?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
files.php

Crikey Graham, that picture must be very old. You still have your own teeth there.

:p

Nicely put together.

preston96

Reaction score
files.php

Crikey Graham, that picture must be very old. You still have your own teeth there.

:p

Nicely put together.

Looks like a Sabre barbed Barbel too!!.........i love that shot of the Wye and Hereford cathedral.

Reaction score
Nice introductory article Graham. :)

I well remember my first time on the Severn. After ten years exclusively fishing the Teme, daunting was certainly the word for it!

klik2change

Reaction score
Many thanks for a good article Graham - thought provoking and informative. You treat the basic problem well, given the prominence it has in just about every fishing article you read - first find your fish!
Are you thinking of writing a series?

Reaction score
Paul (Brummie)

How you doing mate? No luck finding us a local tench shangri-la then?

Bizarrely as I couldn't find any decent tinca waters early season, I ended up down the Lugg (for the first time) on opening day. What a lovely river! A proper stalking water... nearly as nice as the Teme ;).

I had 5 barbel and 3 chub on my first visit to a Wye & Usk stretch near Hereford. Not quite as exciting as watching your float lifting above a stream of bubbles, but it did for me.

Hope you're well, cu on the Severn :)

preston96

Reaction score
Paul (Brummie)

How you doing mate? No luck finding us a local tench shangri-la then?

Bizarrely as I couldn't find any decent tinca waters early season, I ended up down the Lugg (for the first time) on opening day. What a lovely river! A proper stalking water... nearly as nice as the Teme ;).

I had 5 barbel and 3 chub on my first visit to a Wye & Usk stretch near Hereford. Not quite as exciting as watching your float lifting above a stream of bubbles, but it did for me.

Hope you're well, cu on the Severn :)

I could give you one classic tench water mate, but the cost would be to much for just a few early season sorties.....yep cu soon:p

Reaction score
Never mind mate,

I do find it quite tragic that in this carp-mad age it's so difficult to find a tench water, but as the Billy Ocean song goes, when the going get's tough...

My mate's digging a 7 acre lake this year and we'll hopefully have early season crucian, rudd and tench in a decade or so. :w I'll let you know...

Good things come to those who wait!

In the meantime I have mini-rivers like the Lugg to keep me occupied early season.

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Quick Change Swivel

Never seen one of the above used the way round that is shown in the article, always thought people used a figure of 8 loop knot on the hooklength and put that over the opened eye of the swivel.

Anyone else do it that way?

Trevor

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A good fishing article makes you want to go out and do it yourself and that is precisely what Graham's articles do, another winner Graham.

Those anglers that have never gone out on a river because they think they aren't equipped to tackle one should gain some confidence from this article. Fishing isn't rocket science it is practice, common sense and a little help from an article such as this that doesn't over complicate what is basically a stepped up version of feeder fishing in a pool.

Murton Bere

Reaction score
Business end

Graham,

Nice article. Question for you - what is that clip/hook device your swivel is connected to just below the tail rubber? Useful to be able to switch hooklengths quickly and I can see I could make use of that. Do you cover that with silicon tubing too?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Graham,

Nice article. Question for you - what is that clip/hook device your swivel is connected to just below the tail rubber? Useful to be able to switch hooklengths quickly and I can see I could make use of that. Do you cover that with silicon tubing too?

I don't know the one that Graham uses, but these are the ones I use for carp fishing and anything else when I need a fast change.
g3022.jpg

Gemini Snood Clips - http://www.gemini-tackle.co.uk/clips.php
Just cover them with a short length of silicone tubing. Easy removal of swivels unlike some manufacturers clips and cheap as chips and secure!

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Korum Quick Change Swivels

Murton Bere: "Nice article. Question for you - what is that clip/hook device your swivel is connected to just below the tail rubber? Useful to be able to switch hooklengths quickly and I can see I could make use of that. Do you cover that with silicon tubing too?"

These are the ones I use:

KRA_quickchange_swivel.jpg

Details here.

And yes, I do cover it with a silicon tube.

r1paul

Reaction score
I agree with you Woody , they are a great bit of kit , I use them when piking ,when paternoster they are a real help , 0ne to the trace , one on the rotten link , instead of having to fluff around with a fish in the net and take your rod to your unhooking mat , which can be a pain in the bum , you can just unclip the trace from your rig and move freely to do what is needed with the pike .:D :w