Review - Guru Micro Lead Clips and Square Leads

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I've used some of the Guru hooks recently and have been pleased with those - I used them in size 14 on the river and landed a chub of around 2 or 3 pounds (only bite all day). They have a more circular curve to the design which starts further up the shank than on most other brands and a slightly off-set point. When it came to unhooking the hook was firmly set but came out easily enough by rotating it slightly.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw some of these products in my 'local' tackle shop last weekend but didn't purchase any at the time.

As a 'sister' company of Korda they should have the right pedigree I suppose.

I wasn't impressed with the Square Leads; especially in this day and age where we are being tempted to camoflage everything and coat our leads in different coloured powders etc.

In all my years fishing I've never found a 'square' stone from a river or lake bed.

As for adopting the American term of 'sinker' well, all I'd say is God Forbid!

I did like the look of the lead clips though and will probably give them a good test on my local rivers.

supgen

Reaction score
just bought some of their hooks myself- they look v.nice.

I like the Idea of the light lead bolt rigs, I agree with peter about the look of them though.

not much of a lead clip fan myself.

Yacko

Reaction score
I haven't used the Guru products featured here but I have used their 28g In-line Pellet feeder.
I found it to cast very well and was quite impressed, the one I have has no elastic (but more than thrupence a pair). I can not work out how they are interchangable or how the elastic ones are non-tether from the packaging though, suppose I would have to buy one to work it out.
I have just bought a GURU method feeder, at least it weight as stated- tested it on micro-scales

Frothey

Reaction score
The shape of the "square pears" is about hooking efficiency though Peter, though a 1oz bolt rig (for carp) is a bit of an oxymoron. Saying that, I'm using sub 1oz leads a lot at the moment and there aren't many styles - do Guru do some?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I use this type of gear on light carp rods when I'm fishing for carp up to 12lbs maybe. The rods are 1¼ and 1½ lbs test curves so aren't going to cast 3ozs leads all that well.

Because of the smaller scale of everything, the bolt clips in this size are perfect and a 1oz lead is more than adequate.

Square stones? Does a fish understand shapes? There's companies selling glass weights now, but what when they get all scratched and shined like a mirror? Everyone has their thoughts, but if camouflage is what you really want, spray them with those mixed paints you get from Homebase. That's what Scott Ratcliffe does.
files.php

Frothey

Reaction score
Square stones? Does a fish understand shapes?

That's the funny thing with the "Stonez" system - most of the weights are regular shaped ones for casting convinience rather than really odd shapes. If casting efficiency was the problem, just put the odd shaped weight in a pva bag of pellet.....

redalert06

Reaction score
I quite like the leger weights, they seem to be small for their weight almost like old onces made out of lead. Most of the kit is obscenely priced though, £3 for ten hooks and 4 quid for one feeder.

supgen

Reaction score
I quite like the leger weights, they seem to be small for their weight almost like old onces made out of lead. Most of the kit is obscenely priced though, £3 for ten hooks and 4 quid for one feeder.

aye but take a look at carp hooks, most of em 3.50 to 4 squiddies.

£4 for a feeder is way OTT though, an expensive feeder imo is on and above £2.

Yacko

Reaction score
I quite agree that their feeder are over-priced, however if distance casting is critical it might be worth considering them. I'm no expert on feeder fishing but I thought they seemed to fly a lot better than other feeders / method feeders I have been using. If I was able to go to Clattercote I would have given them a gohttp://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There'll be a review of their method feeders after ................ Clattercote.

In which case, and if history is any guide; then I take it that your review will only account for Casting and Retrieving said feeder(s) and won't have anything to do with catching fish?

[insert great big daft smiling thing > > > > HERE]

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
In which case, and if history is any guide; then I take it that your review will only account for Casting and Retrieving said feeder(s) and won't have anything to do with catching fish?

[insert great big daft smiling thing > > > > HERE]

No Peter. In fact, I shall be only too pleased to wipe that big daft smile off your face. The feeders are NOT being tested by ME. Someone a little more competent will be using them.

However, I am fishign Clattercote this time with a vengeance. No more taking photos and f*rting around. This time - it's personal!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
So you won't be putting your brolly up, having a few casts, moaning about the breeze, going for a chat and then amusing yourself by feeding the carp behind the boards?

You'd better not be you're fshing for us now! ;)