Stealth Bombers and Smart Hooks revisited.

klik2change

Reaction score
Absolutely fascinating article geoff - well done, really well done. It's so good I want to read it a few more times before making any other comment...!

What I really like about it is the way that it provides some kind of answer for two or three questions at the same time.

Frothey

Reaction score
no more hypothetical than a lot of the stuff we all talk about on forums....

Anyone remember Mike Wilson using chandelier crystals instead of leads, so as to negate any chance of an electric field between the lead and the hook?

klik2change

Reaction score
i just pointed out it was hypothetical.

All theories start as hypothetical. It's the scientific method. Many of the most useful theories have been shown to link different areas of knowledge together. If you think about it, a theory which plausibly answers several questions at once is far more likely to be correct.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
The problem with scientific theories is, that they are just theories until proven to be correct, and even then there will be other scientists who disagree with those theories and will set out to prove they are right, and it goes on and on and on.

Unless you are a fish you will never truly know how a fish feels, smells, tastes etc etc you can only summise.

That is why i said, Hypothetical, not that i didn't enjoy the story.

Reaction score
A scientist can get an understnading of how a fish smells, tastes, hears etc by studying cell interaction at a microscopic level. Something you or I will not see and possibly not comprehend.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Sometimes us morons have to use oxymorons and state the obvious to hammer home a point :)

Wiv an' 'ammer!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Fish with no ears can hear sound <the mind boggles> they can sense vibrations, of course they can, but can they associate it with a particular item or do they just associate the resonations from the sound as safe or danger.

Frothey

Reaction score
how do we learn sound? words are formed by the vocal chords vibrating the air, and our ears picking it up and processing it - we've only learnt what those vibrations mean by association.

fish learn that the "sound" of pellets going in mean food. a lake i used to fish many moons ago was in the back garden of a farmer, who used to throw old bread into the lake. there was a gate he went through, and they learnt that the gate slamming shut meant food - you could get them to appear by opening and shutting the gate.

we're trying to give fish human senses again though.....

slime monster

Reaction score
Interesting read Geoff,reminds me of an experiment I saw on tv ,a tank full of fish were subjected to an arm going in amongst them and they reacted by scattering,the fish then were hooded so as to lose the sense of sight,again the arm went in and they scattered.
lastly the hoods were replaced with jackets and although one or two fish avoided the arm the shoal was placid ,a graphic demonstration of the fishes use of the lateral lne

klik2change

Reaction score
The problem with scientific theories is, that they are just theories until proven to be correct, and even then there will be other scientists who disagree with those theories and will set out to prove they are right, and it goes on and on and on.

No theory in the history of science has ever been proven to be correct. Many have been shown to be extremely likely to be correct though, by the weight of evidence. As for disagreement, that's how science advances. Thesis - antithesis - synthesis, which becomes the new thesis, and so it goes on, in a long never-ending chain. That's how a very brainy German once explained it. Design - all kinds of design - also develop in the same way.

The history of science is very interesting, SV. See if you can find a pop science book about Einstein and how his theories have been shown to be very very very likely to be correct - and even HE disagreed with some of the conclusions drawn from them! Half of the modern world would be impossible if he was wrong. Honestly, it's an entertaining and fascinating story. You are an intelligent man, you would really enjoy it!:)

It won't do much to help your fishing, but you'll never look at the stars in quite the same way!:)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
My favourite is Brian Cox talking about the LHD at Cern. It's on TED.com. I wish I was that clever.