centrepin

adrian hoare

Reaction score
im after a good conditioned centrepin reel , preferably rapidex , but consider okuma and other various makes , will be using for trotting on the thames , IM NOT after buying one for £200+ though as wouldnt use it enough to warrant paying that , just a good condition , smooth running centrepin for well under £100 .
Anybody out there help me ? leave a msg

cheers

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a virtually mint rapidex and my advice to you is to get yourself an Okuma sheffield.

davegn

Reaction score
Adrian,
I do about 80% of my fishing nowadays with a 'pin, I have a collection of about 200!
The best all round pin in my collection, which includes the Okuma reels, Allcocks and Youngs, is a Mordex Merlin.
I use it for carp and barbel!
You can get one on E-bay for around fifty quid!
If you want a smaller pin for roach and Ide, I would suggest a Speedia, narrow drum. Again, they go for £60-80 on e-bay.
These older reels are far easier to handle than the faster running modern reels.
I have a few spares if you get any problems.
Don

davegn

Reaction score
Adrian, have gone through my collection and have a spare Mordex Merlin and Yooungs Trudex reel available.
They are in really good condition and have been used by me.
All I want for the pair is £120, plus pstage of £6.
Let me know if you are interested.
Don

davegn

Reaction score
Which one are you interested in most?
I'll split them but cannot lower price, they cost me that!
Cheers,
Don

adrian hoare

Reaction score
Hello buddy , ideally I'm after a rapidex or speedia , which are normally available for 40 to 50 . Are you able to help me ? I have my mind set on a rapidex especially to be honest , if you fancy selling one I will say now I will have for defo as long as its in fairly good nick . Get back tio me buddy cheers

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Get a Speedia Adrian. It's a better reel to Wallis cast with than the Rapidex and that's what you'll be doing with it all the time, once shown how. You'll end up with one anyway (everyone does) so you might as well get one to start with.

davegn

Reaction score
Very true Geoff, but they are more expensive than the Merlin and no better, remember the Merlin was bulit by Youngs!
I use both the wide and narrow drums, even have a mark two that has the adjustable tension. Love them but prefer the rapidex and Merlin for the jobs that I need a reel for, carp and roach fishing.
Both cast superbly using the Wallis cast. I can manage about 30 metres with the Merlin in good conditions, who needs a fixed spool reel!
Adrian, all my reels are in good working order but I do no "tart them up" by respraying them etc... I give them a thorough clean, oil and grease only. Much prefer the patena of age!
Either reel will cost £60 plus postage of £3.50.
Get back to me.
I also have a superb Barbel Rod, the K Class by Trabucco, never used and cost £200 some years ago.
Has Avon tip and 2, 3 and 4 oz glass tips. Beats any Shimano rod!
Don

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I also have a superb Barbel Rod, the K Class by Trabucco, never used and cost £200 some years ago.
Has Avon tip and 2, 3 and 4 oz glass tips. Beats any Shimano rod!
Don

Err.....some shimano rods are pretty much unbeatable.

davegn

Reaction score
Well Tigger as an ex-Shimano user, I know how good they are and what can beat them for performance and value.
The Beastmaster range was in my opinion, their best for years, but this rod ranks with them!
I still have a pile of Shimano rods, but they are now safely in my collection for when they become "vintage" items, like Hardy. Same goes for my Daiwa rods!
I use Preston rods mainly nowadays, plus odd Shakespeare and Shimano, depends which is best for the job and best value.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well Tigger as an ex-Shimano user, I know how good they are and what can beat them for performance and value.
The Beastmaster range was in my opinion, their best for years, but this rod ranks with them!
I still have a pile of Shimano rods, but they are now safely in my collection for when they become "vintage" items, like Hardy. Same goes for my Daiwa rods!
I use Preston rods mainly nowadays, plus odd Shakespeare and Shimano, depends which is best for the job and best value.

My favourite of the shimano range is the origional daiflash specimine. Of the Daiwas the whisker kevlar tournament. Match rods ... drennan im8's and 9's and the normark range are the dogs jangles. As you say it depends on which is best for the job.

davegn

Reaction score
Good choice Tigger, I still love the Antares range of rods, got the lot!
Still use my old Jaguar and Harrier rods by Daiwa too!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeph, the antares are very nice. A m8 of mine has the antares barbel, lovely rod it is too.