The John Ledger Memorial Fish-In, River Idle - My Introduction To Match Fishing

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well done John,nice little piece.
They're not a bad crowd of blokes the Fm'ers are they.

Sorry I couldn't get there this year, hopefully next year,although I shall be visiting this little river soon.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Great article John, told it like it was. we waited till the dying moments to strike didnt we?.:D

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good on ya JK and fair play to you for putting most of your winnings behind the bar, I'm sure Granville or Stu would have done the same......:D

It is a great day out, or weekend for some of us who had to travel so far. I too never met John, but I did have loads of conversations via e-mail with him. He has my total respect for the man he was and that is why we made the journey and will make it again.

I'm sure if I'd have been in the match I would have joined the distinguished line-up of blankers! It's a different story when you can choose your peg...

Roll on next year, hopefully it'll be spot on and everyone will catch.

Reaction score
Excellent article JK. A great day out...discovered that there are areas on the Yorks/Notts/Lincs border that don't exist on satnav (or on Spiders satnav anyway!!). A real pleasure meeting "old friends" face to face for the first time and renewing old acquaintances.

If you're hesitant about going on an FM fish-in don't be .....we really are all wonderful people ....we dress well...and have impeccable manners....we just let ourselves down with the fishing bit!!!

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Good read mate and nice to meet you to.
The F.M get together's are alway's very good, what ever the reason and we have had some sad one's, but to anyone thinking about it, just go, you will meet some nice people, some of which I now call friends.

J K

Reaction score
Thanks for all your kind comments. It really was a good day. A great pity that more fish couldn't have been caught though. Here's to the next one. :w

Steve King

Reaction score
Lovely article John - you should write more! My wife Cathy & I enjoyed meeting you at the Clattercote teach in. Hope you can come to more fish ins.

I never met John Ledger, but we shared a love of music. Living in London meant that going to the JL memorial would have been a two or three day trip and alas my annual leave is somewhat depleted. Maybe next time...

Muffin

Reaction score
I'm just glad the beer in the pub was good! I should have known when Graeme packed up and headed to the pub at 1.00pm that there was something not quite right, as Mike said we should have followed a man of his experience, lesson learnt for next time!

Was a great day, and even blanking the following day on the Don was fun. Has put into perspective that my one or two fish recently on the Bristol Avon is pretty good going :)

Look forward to next year and as Steve said thanks JK for the drinks

Plus most exciting moment of the weekend was when I thought I'd lost my wallet whilst packing up from the Don as we pulled into the petrol station on the way back home, raced back in the car through the traffic to look for it. Jeff was in the car with me and kindly ran to see if I'd dropped it where we parked........anyway turns out I had packed it under all my bags in the back of the car. I did feel a tad stupid, so sorry Jeff for all the hassle!!! :p

Last edited:

J K

Reaction score
Lovely article John - you should write more! My wife Cathy & I enjoyed meeting you at the Clattercote teach in. Hope you can come to more fish ins.

I never met John Ledger, but we shared a love of music. Living in London meant that going to the JL memorial would have been a two or three day trip and alas my annual leave is somewhat depleted. Maybe next time...

Thanks Steve. I'll make a New Year Resolution to attend more.