Retirement from FishingMagic – in full this time!

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
The last time I wrote a ‘retirement’ message was in September 2008, when I decided to retire from my full time job of editing FishingMagic for Magicalia Ltd. What I didn’t realise though, was that Magicalia would then decide to sell the site and ask me to stay on as editor, part time only, while the sale went through.

Sometime later, when the site was bought by Fish and Fly Ltd, and I met with new owner and Managing Director Richard Hewitt, he asked me if I would carry on as part time Managing Editor, with some help from editors Jeff ‘Woody’ Woodhouse and Geoff Maynard. I was more than glad to accept, for what I wanted more than anything was for FM to blossom again, following the less than smooth transition from one platform to another. And I must say it’s been a pleasure to work with Richard, Colin, Paul, Zoe, Sofi, Jeff and Geoff. And of course with a great team of moderators: Peter, EC and Neil.

However, I’m 68 in April and, as daft as it may seem, I’m still full of ambition. I’ve co-authored three fishing books in the last two years and I’ve got plans for more, and for other projects. Although my all-night fishing days are over I’m still fishing regularly, both coarse and fly fishing, and I still feel I have something to offer the angling world from the experience I’ve gained over the last 65 years (I have a black and white photo of me fishing at the age of three).

What age does to you more than anything is slow you down, and whereas at one time I could easily manage FishingMagic and follow other interests and projects, these days it is just too difficult to do both, and if I carry on with FM I will never have given myself a proper chance to fulfil my other ambitions. At the root of my decision though is that I need to do the things I want to do at my own pace and in my own time and running FishingMagic is a responsibility that needs more commitment than that. In theory I currently work only a total of two days each week, but in reality it’s a responsibility for seven days a week. It’s a job I’ve always done to the best of my ability, and with a passion, but it’s now time to hand the reins to someone else.

So, at the end of this month I shall fully retire from FM, although Richard tells me that he would like me to still be associated with the website with some honorary title, which I shall be pleased and proud to accept. FishingMagic has been ‘my’ baby for far too long to shrug it off as the end of just another job.

You won’t have seen the last of me though, for I’ll still enjoy the forum along with everyone else, and I’ll still contribute the occasional article and review, and attend the odd fish-in. Thanks to everyone for being good company over the years, and long may that continue.

Richard will make a further announcement soon with details about how the site will be run in the immediate future and with news of some of the great plans he has for FM to maintain it as the UK’s most popular coarse fishing website.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A Sad Day

Graham,

While you must know that we would all love you to stay as 'Da Boss' I for one wish you every success and the best of luck with both the books and your fishing.

Hopefully you will come down for the End Of Season Dinner and fishing weekend in March.

It has been terrific working on the edges of FM with you, and whoever is now to take over will hopefully have very big feet to fit inside the very large shoes that you leave behind.

Cheers my friend . . . :w

heathbryant45

Reaction score
About time too!

Thanks for the site mate, met some great people through it. Through FM and meeting people have had the opportunity to fish some great waters and catch some great fish. Springs to mind is my Blithfield Pike and also the great times on the Ribble.

Catch up with you soon mate, Knowlesy is taking me Mere Bream fishing so if you wanna come along and learn something feel free!

Charcoal (aka TiT)

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Hopefully you will come down for the End Of Season Dinner and fishing weekend in March.

Wouldn't miss it for the world Peter, and thanks for the kind words.

---------- Post added at 09:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 ----------

Catch up with you soon mate, Knowlesy is taking me Mere Bream fishing so if you wanna come along and learn something feel free!

Let me know when you're there and I'll be down to enjoy some more burnt sausage!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
About time too to echo Wol, you deserve it Graham, it is time to sit back and let others worry about the site whilst you enjoy yourself. No excuse not to have a few days on the Wye now is there?

Can we expect a flood of fishing items on ebay or will they appear on here under "Garage internet sale" :p

Will the famous never emptying wallet finally fit in the boot through lack of nourishment?

Congratulations and good luck in your retirement mate, may it be a long and happy one.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Graham Marsden has guided this angling website and made it Britain's best.

I am sorry to see him go, yet I can understand what happens when you get older, you do slow down. Even so I am sure we will benefit from the occasional pearls of wisdom that Graham might post from time to time.

Best Wishes and Best Fishes Mate.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
A day or two on the Wye is always a good idea Graham - if I can still afford the fuel.:mad:

---------- Post added at 09:26 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

Thanks Ron!

Reaction score
Total sadness at your understandable decision to stand down. This is tempered by the excitement of what you have to offer - even if it means I'll have to pay for it!!! (Unless there is the odd prize donation!!)

You probably don't need to be told of the esteem in which you are held by all of us who are proud to be members of this forum. However, it is an honour and a privilege to "know you" in the small way I do; to have met you for the first time the other week was a pleasure, as was meeting Ron. You were both names to admire in my soft southern youth!!

I hope that in the future I have the privilege of your company on the odd fishing trip, possibly in the company of Spiders - proving that you haven't completely come to your senses!!!

Put simply

Thank You

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Peter Jacobs said, ".....and whoever is now to take over will hopefully have very big feet to fit inside the very large shoes that you leave behind......."

That is a sentiment that surely goes for all.

May I wish you, and your good lady, who may now get 'a little more time' with you, all the very very best. You deserve every accolade that will come your way in the next few day's.

Wishing you all that you would wish yourself...

Nathan

Reaction score
Good luck & all the best for the future Graham.
I've not been on FM as long as some but i've had the pleasure of discussing things with you on this forum & reading your articles. Your advice & warm character will be sorely missed.
Who's gonna keep this lot in check when you're gone?! :)

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Whilst it indeed sad news, you've done a great job Graham and should be very proud!

I wish you all the very best for the future.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I’ve spent the best part of the last three years talking him out of retirement, but I guess he’s now made up his mind for good.

He must have because the other day when I phoned him he was in the dentists waiting to have all his teeth out, an act that’s obligatory when you retire, apparently. Don’t worry because Ed’s lent him one of his old sets for the time being to stop him frightening the grandkids and all.

The man will never stop, he can’t. He was only supposed to sit back, put his feet up and let Geoff and me do all the donkey work around here, but he couldn’t do that. Graham is a 100% man that likes to see the job through and for that you must admire him.

Whatever his ambitions are, rest assured his commitment to them will not be minimal and I can only join everyone else in wishing him all the success he wishes himself. I hope I won’t miss him for the simple reason that he has promised to be there whenever I want him whether that’s to do with this site or just for a friendly chat. I’ve admired this bloke and his achievements and articles for more than forty years now, hard to just quit that.

Big shoes? Yes, but we’re in danger of this becoming a pantomime if you’re looking for someone to fill them. I never realised he had such big feet for a little fella, but there you go. ;)

I hope when I say you won’t be missed it will be because you are still visiting us and writing those articles and reviews you promised. I do wish you a happy time in your retirement, but in truth, I think you’re just taking a detour on your journey, so enjoy it all and bon voyage.

‘Richard tells me that he would like me to still be associated with the website with some honorary title’ I’ve suggested on numerous occasions – Editor Emeritus. Bit grand though, he thinks. :j

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Please stop this sycophantic cow-towing to the mean old git. It's not as if he's something special. ;-)
Although, of course, he is. Enjoy your retirement from FM, Graham. At least when you've left, you've got a better excuse for not buying a round! Really, very very best wishes for your future projects.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Retirement – about bluddie time too. For someone who is wholly responsible for allowing my inane ramblings to deface the internet you should have been sent packing years ago…….

And because you were willing to let me loose I am always going to be in your debt. I can only echo the sentiment of others regarding the immense influence and support you have given to so many over the years.

If ever someone had earned a bit of ‘me’ time it is you.

My very best wishes for the future

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Graham

Some of us remember last time you "retired" - your golden handshake from the then owners of FM and weekly pension was so large not only did they have to sell FM but it caused the financial crisis with the banks and the present credit crunch.

The good people of FM had a collection and bought you a solid gold rod pod only for you to return after a few days on a part time basis for twice the salary.

And now you are to "retire" again but retain some "honorary" status -will that be on a fat fee as a "consultant" by any chance?
:p
Good luck Graham and enjoy your retirement - you will tell the new Editor (Bob Roberts I've heard) that the owners of FM have agreed to pay for some Port and Stilton Club caps and polo shirts?:wh

Enjoy your fishing and book writing - is it with my friend Mark W again?
Hope to meet you at a fish -in soon - for some reason every time I come to one you mysteriously have other commitments and can't attend.

Best wishes

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi Graham,

Sincere best wishes for your retirement.

As everyone has said you have done a brilliant job with Fishing Magic. Managing an open forum from its inception right through to the present day must have been one heck of a ride and the fact that you still have the same passion now is brilliant.

Every single person who has posted on here owes you a debt of thanks, feel very proud of what you have achieved, with this along with everything else in an illustrious fishing career.

Keep well and enjoy whatever spare time you can muster, a busy man is always a busy man, even in retirement!!

Best regards,

Steve.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
There has been no other single source of information that has taught me quite so much about fishing in such an enjoyable atmosphere.

For creating this virtual (and occasionaly fish-in-real) environment Graham you have both my gratitude and respect.

You have certainly earned your retirement.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
If you knew about the projects lined up you'd see that the days/weeks/months simply aren't long enough; there's a book to deliver this month, and plenty more projects in the pipeline.

Two GJeffs will have their work cut out, plenty of archive stuff to resolve. Still Bob will sort them out...

Must go, I'm busy.

captain carrott

Reaction score
well that's the end of an era then.

i've been on and off many forums in my time and can honestly say this is the best one. The reason it is this way is entirely down to graham, no doubt with very good support from other people but when all is said and done it's him that has steered the ship and i for one would like to thank him for all he's done to give me such an excellent place to be.
it's going to be an impossible job for some one to fill his shoes.

good luck with whatever you decide to do next.