Feeder Fishing

Brian Knights

Reaction score
My newly-found retirement status will enable me to fish through the winter whereas my only previous experience of fishing has been surface fishing in the summer months, mainly during the long summer evenings.

A guy I was talking to at one of our local lakes recommended I started off by fishing with a feeder and he kindly gave me an open-ended cage feeder that he had spare. Can someone kindly point to me to a link which will show me in simple terms how I set this up e.g. bait to put in, line to use, hooklengths, knots etc. The lake I'll be fishing in is all-purpose but is reknowned for its enormous head of carp, mainly in the four to nine pounds range.

Thanks in anticipation.

Reaction score
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the Club. You'll find lots of help and information on this site. I would suggest that your first port of call would be to click on the "Rigs" link on the toolbar at the top of the mainpage. Look at the general, carp and float section...all good stuff. If you look through these you'll find lots of information..there are a number of tips on using feeders and an excellent article on Knots by Uncle Dave who runs Kryston.

Welcome again

Poshers

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

As usual the boss beat me to it!!

noknot

Reaction score
Hi Brian, and welcome to the forum, If you are going for the Carp, then why not try a method feeder as it is a very succesful set up on those type of waters and is simple to set up and fish;)

Muffin

Reaction score
I thought that was what a dog does with his tail?

Anyway back to topic, a good start for feeder fishing is to have a look on Bob Roberts website. He wrote a book on feeder fishing back when men were men and dinosaurs roamed, I think it was posibly some time in the 1920's!!!

Seriously though, have a goosey gander, its useful for info on feeder fishing.

metta

Reaction score
Welcome mate, I'm new aswell but have been using feeders awhile now. I was woundering what Rod and reel are you going to be using?

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Welcome mate, I'm new aswell but have been using feeders awhile now. I was woundering what Rod and reel are you going to be using?
I don't think you'll get a reply metta, This was Brian's one and only post and it's from the middle of October last year.

metta

Reaction score
Oh, I think I better look at the dates more often :p