Ring Spacing on a Chimera

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I just got a Harrison 12ft Chimera No1 back from the rod builder only to find the first ring on the top section extraordinarily close to the joint. Is this the done thing? In over 30 years of angling and 15 years using Harrison I’ve never seen this done. It looks odd, and when you go to separate the joints you get a handful of rod ring.

Any views on this most welcome...

004.jpg

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I have one similar, an Abu Suverain carp rod. Makes it difficult to put into a quiver holdall, but the whipping has to be there to strengthen the join and I guess they decided to stick the ring on the end of it.

Did it show it like that in the advertising for the rod? You may have a case for returning it.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I have one similar, an Abu Suverain carp rod. Makes it difficult to put into a quiver holdall, but the whipping has to be there to strengthen the join and I guess they decided to stick the ring on the end of it.

Did it show it like that in the advertising for the rod? You may have a case for returning it.

Hi Jeff, It was custom built job; I left the spacing to the rod builder’s discretion.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
It looks like a great way of applying strength to what is usually regarded as a bit of a weak point. I can't see it presenting any problems.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
It looks like a great way of applying strength to what is usually regarded as a bit of a weak point. I can't see it presenting any problems.

I don’t see it effecting the performance, it’s just esthetically ugly, and makes separating the two sections odd. It doesn’t seem right to me.

Be interesting to hear from owners of Chimera No1's its 1.5lb tc, how theres are rung.

Last edited:

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Last edited:

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Google Image Result for http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/reviews/marktun/pic1r.jpg

Third picture down shows the second rings quite close to the spigot of the butt section It appears that the third ring is some way on the tip section.. Are these rods similar to yours ?

Whereas the fifth picture down on these adverts seems to back up the idea of them being some way from the joint.

Google Image Result for http://www.petestackleshack.com/userimages/Chimeras1.jpg

Thanks for having a delve! Yea but even the lower one doesn’t look so low, its certainly not on the joint.

The last ring on the top section of all the rods I own is at the least a good few inches from the joints whipping. I think shear laziness myself, who in their right mind would stick an eye there? It saved doing an extra whip.

Just heard from a mate with a pair of Chimeras, one built by Mark Tunley and one off the peg from Harrisons and there a respectable distance from the joint, the off the peg being closer, but nothing like mine.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Must admit, on my Chimera Barbel rod the ring is set about 7 inches from the joint.

Perhaps this is a lesson in that you shouldn't leave things to chance, or in this case, the spacing of rings to the rod builder. You could ask him - why? You could also tell him you were going to write a review for Europe's 2nd largest and most popular website and that you are unhappy.

He can always do you a new one and flog this one to some other hapless punter.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Must admit, on my Chimera Barbel rod the ring is set about 7 inches from the joint.

Perhaps this is a lesson in that you shouldn't leave things to chance, or in this case, the spacing of rings to the rod builder. You could ask him - why? You could also tell him you were going to write a review for Europe's 2nd largest and most popular website and that you are unhappy.

He can always do you a new one and flog this one to some other hapless punter.

Seven inches you say Jeff; well that’s a lot better than my mincy 2inches… :D I wish i had better rung Chimera like yours...

The guy who built it is in Germany **** fishing, hes back friday, so I'll no doubt get sorted then. I just wanted to hear some second opinions.

Cakey

Reaction score
my rod hutchie 3.25's are 5" from the joint
my 8 freespirits nearest are 4" from the joint
my stalking rods are 7" from the joint
21 rods checked
eyes and joints are small flat spots in the curve of a rod so two together could make a big flat spot !
ask is all you can do

Last edited: