Anyone know where I can get plain brass ferrules?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I've got a cracked ferrule on a nice cane float rod. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a replacement? It's 6.74mm diameter on the male part.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Not sure, could you make your own?

---------- Post added at 22:27 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

Or if removed, is it repairable?

Reaction score
I'm not sure either Sean, so I can't really help you on this.

Have you tried Bradford Ferrule Supplies or Ferrules R Us?

There's also FerruleSupermarket.com and FerrulesDirect.co.uk

Maybe try Ferrules2U and Ferrules4U.

You could also try BrassIsSoPasseeGetACarbonRod.co.uk

Or if you could send me a toleranced detail drawing (or the part) then I might even be able to machine you one.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
You'll occasionaly see ferrules for sale on ebay, fishing, vintage, or you might contact Chapmans of Ware to see what they have in stock.

Equally you'll find plenty on ebay USA, but the postage can be slow and expensive. I think any from the USA will be in shiney silver steel, rather than brass.

Other rod builders to try would be Norman Agutter and Olivers, Paul Cook, Gary Marshall and Chris Ward.

Or, just for you, is my secret supplier....don't tell anyone......

ferrules items - Get great deals on rod building items on eBay.co.uk Shops!

:D

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Or, just for you, is my secret supplier

Shh! They are my secret supplier too!

You're right Mark and Matt I'll have to investigate machining them. I'll see what the tolerances are for ferrules and do a sketch. I suspect that they are an interference fit when machined as the one's I've bought from Chapmans required linishing. Ah, happy days in the fitting shop!

I'll have to see if I can source some tube as machining them from solid might be a bit much.

By the way Matt

BrassIsSoPasseGetaCarbonRod.co.uk has been superceded by

YouCan'tGetThisMuchFunFromaSoulessPieceofHeatTreatedCharcoal.anorak.co.uk

Fred Blake

Reaction score
You'll occasionaly see ferrules for sale on ebay, fishing, vintage, or you might contact Chapmans of Ware to see what they have in stock.

Equally you'll find plenty on ebay USA, but the postage can be slow and expensive. I think any from the USA will be in shiney silver steel, rather than brass.

Other rod builders to try would be Norman Agutter and Olivers, Paul Cook, Gary Marshall and Chris Ward.

Or, just for you, is my secret supplier....don't tell anyone......

ferrules items - Get great deals on rod building items on eBay.co.uk Shops!

Many of the ferrules Chapmans supply are US-sourced nickel silver made by REC and sized for fly rods. They can be blued if desired, though you'll not get the bronze tone of a blued brass ferrule. However, Chapmans do supply a few sizes of brass ferrule to fit their range of coarse rod blanks.

Another option is Olivers Rods - formerly Olivers of Knebworth, but now based in Shropshire (or somewhere like that). If you give them the female i/d measurements they should be able to supply something suitable. Expect to pay £30 or so! They always used to advertise in Waterlog, but I stopped subscribing some time ago so don't know if they still do.

Cheapest option is keep an eye on fleabay, but certain sizes tend to fetch high prices, especially reinforced ferrules.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I've got a cracked ferrule on a nice cane float rod. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a replacement? It's 6.74mm diameter on the male part.

From a further post

"The bore is parallel and the ferrules I've bought new have come as an interference fit. You then have to hand linish them to a close clearance fit."

I'm confused Sean, do you have the ferrules? If so, regarding the first post, whats the problem?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Sorry Mark it's got confusing hasn't it.

I've got a 10ft 6in cane float rod with a cracked female ferrule which I need to replace. I've contacted Chapmans and they're having a look for something similar.

If Chapmans haven't got one I'll either have to make one (or have Matt do one for me!). Plain ferrules are very simple constructions in that they are machined from brass tube. Ferrules I've bought from Chapmans in the past have a straight bore and, as delivered, the male is an interference fit into the female. You fit the ferrules to the rod and hand linish the male ferrule to fit.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Sorry Mark it's got confusing hasn't it.

I've got a 10ft 6in cane float rod with a cracked female ferrule which I need to replace. I've contacted Chapmans and they're having a look for something similar.

If Chapmans haven't got one I'll either have to make one (or have Matt do one for me!). Plain ferrules are very simple constructions in that they are machined from brass tube. Ferrules I've bought from Chapmans in the past have a straight bore and, as delivered, the male is an interference fit into the female. You fit the ferrules to the rod and hand linish the male ferrule to fit.

I understand.

If it were me (I'm no expert), and it came down to making my own, I'd start from scratch and make a 'pair'. Leaving a very small amount of material on the male part to allow for hand 'fettling' once attached to the blank. I'd aim for a match fit, but when making the male joint, I try to add a minor taper to the bottom half, to give a wear allowence.

But I'm no expert.....

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Found a really useful engineering data site here

I think that's what the linishing does Mark. You don't linish the whole length of the male ferrule so that as the open end of the female wears it slide further up the male ferrule on to the area with the bigger od.

I've found some interesting tricks of the trade by a careful examination of ferrules on rods bought on Ebay. For example you can increase the od of the end of the male ferrule by tapping the outside of the end face with a hammer. This bells out the od slightly and gives a snug fit in the female again.

This is beginning to sound like one of those dodgy emails that goes straight to your junk mail folder!

The problem with making your own ferrules appears to be getting tube with the right ratio of od to wall thickness.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
For example you can increase the od of the end of the male ferrule by tapping the outside of the end face with a hammer. This bells out the od slightly and gives a snug fit in the female again.

I know, there are also ways of 'bell-mouthing' the female end for the same effect...... The act of a cowboy - not a craftsmen!

It dosen't go on in my industry....:wh