Chicken skin

richiekelly

Reaction score
i read somewhere recently that roast chicken skin is a good bait for barbel and chub,(or perhaps i dreamt it as i do have strange dreams about fishing),has anyone else come across/ used this for bait ? if you have how did you use it and did you catch?

bigchub

Reaction score
Haven't used chicken skin as a bait but if you after the same kind of flavor from a bait get hold of some DT Baits Oily Chicken flavor. Smells just like a KFC!

richiekelly

Reaction score
its not the smell that im after i just wondered if it had been used as a bait or am i going round the bend,thanks anyway.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
its not the smell that im after i just wondered if it had been used as a bait or am i going round the bend,thanks anyway.

Perhaps it was a post I put up several months ago, where I refered to chicken skin amongst other queer baits whilst fishing the Yorkshire rivers, late sixties early seventies. That was from a tip given to me by the old Bailiff, Mr Steele at Benningborough Hall, on the river Ure. And he was right, it works.
Hope that's of some help.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Never get the chance to use it , my little dog gets it before i do..........

Jaysus, you give it to the dog? I'd fight him(her) for it no problem. No hands legs or paws, a teeth fight, to the death, or at least 'til i was bleeding a lot.

Such is my love for chicken skin.

Reaction score
Can't remember the guys name but a few years back a few big barbel were caught on chicken skin baits and reported in the angling press.

Definitely worth a go.

Reaction score
As a 'meaty' aside,

I have often wondered about the potential of fresh (not bought in a bag) pork crackling, hair rigged.

I bet it'd be a summer flood winner...

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I regularly buy whole chickens, rather than seperate pieces, and disect them myself into wings, legs and breasts. Much better value as a whole bird costs little more than two decent sized breast fillets.

The rest of the carcass, including all of the skin, goes into a stock pot with onion, carrot, bayleaf and thyme to make my own stock. Nothing goes to waste.

I tried some cheap stewing steak for bait once or twice and had no results on it at all.

geggsnick

Reaction score
never tried chicken skin but i have had instant success on a flake of fish stick, you know those cheap pink and white sticks you get, the only trouble is hooking it, but it wafts around in the flow and seems to get chub all excited, worth a try!!

richiekelly

Reaction score
Perhaps it was a post I put up several months ago, where I refered to chicken skin amongst other queer baits whilst fishing the Yorkshire rivers, late sixties early seventies. That was from a tip given to me by the old Bailiff, Mr Steele at Benningborough Hall, on the river Ure. And he was right, it works.
Hope that's of some help.

i knew that i had read it somwhere derek,thanks for putting my mind at rest i thought i was going senile

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm with Paul H on this...nothing like disecting you own chicken-very satisfying-almost a work of art if done nicely!

The stock,as outlined by Paul,for soups etc is just amazing.....to think some people use those 'orrible little squares of stock from a supermarket-ugh!!

........................mind you,this has nothing to do with chicken skin,does it??

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
Well i have to confess , that here in hertfordshire we only give our chub the best, nothing as common as chicken skin, we give our chub pheasant skin here. We have to hang it the traditional way for 2 weeks to give it that game taste the chub love. And we get 3 things from this , a great meal , some good chub grub and a free pint of maggots . cor talk about snob eh. tight lines.