Southern river Grayling Fish-in(s)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
We'll see you when we get there, providing old man river can get himself together.

Hope you're not wearing that parrot again Skippy! It looked stupid last time and I'm sure the parrot was well and truly ashamed! :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The only things I shall be wearing tomorrow will be those with a proven track record of keeping me warm. Sadly,that does not include the parrot.

Anyway...I would not wish to let the side down by looking stupid. I will be the one dressed like a Russian sniper.:D

Last edited:

Will Barnard

Reaction score
After giving Jez a brief stick float tutorial first thing, I'll be spending most of the day after esox.
See you in a few hours all.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I've just got in after a thoroughly enjoyable day.Good to meet you all and I apologise for being an unsociable ****** and spending all day right up the top...but I found a little nest of fish and had no reason to move.

For those that read about my exploits after grayling on the Dee I only went and did it again. This time I had Captain Salmon in the net 3 times but couldn't lift him against the push of water....the third time the hook snagged on the net and it was goodnight ladies.

One day I will hook one on proper gear not a size 16 to 2.25 bottom . Great scrap though and if I'd not been on me own I'd have had him.

Thanks for arranging this Geoff. I will definately be going back.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Skippy the salmon-sorter!

Nice to meet you guys at last, even if if was for just a few minutes each - but the fish were calling.
Neil and I fished together all day, probably hit about 20 swims for as many fish each. Neil had the biggest grayling out of the two of us at 1lb 13oz, my best one went about 1lb 4oz. We had a few trout too but none over a couple of pounds.
I think the day was a success as everyone caught (even Jeff-the-Jinx!) and considering the freezing cold wind, it was a great day. We fished till we couldn't see our floats then came home. Now knackered!

Highlight of the day had to be either Will's 17lb+ pike.

Nice day guys, thanks for coming.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the day was a success as everyone caught (even Jeff-the-Jinx!)

Now, wait a minute. Are you telling us that Jeff 'can I have a dozen red maggots please, and will you throw in a couple of whites', Woodhouse, actually caught fish?

Methinks a certain content editor has been on the happy juice!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Now, wait a minute. Are you telling us that Jeff 'can I have a dozen red maggots please, and will you throw in a couple of whites', Woodhouse, actually caught fish?
Saucy mare!

Yes, I used three on the hook and chucked the other nine in (individually) as loose feed. The hook baits were looking weary by the end of the day though, but I've brought them home and am now trying to revive them with little bits of Elastoplast and warm drinks..

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Well I had a great day, had them lining up, fish a chuck for a few hours, so many fish that I lost count. Only one complaint...........................................My bl00dy arms ache.

Thank's for organising a great trip chaps. It's a venue that I would definitely fish again.

Even with barbless hooks I only lost one fish and that was when Skippy was watching, the man's a bok, you wouldn't want him on your lucky charm bracelet.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Pleased you had a good day on a water I just love to fish. I've had the Brown Trout, Sea Trout & Salmon threesome a couple of times but they don't half ruin your grayling fishing for a while. :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Normally I'd agree but it didn't happen to me today.I had 8/9 trout plus salmo salar cavorting around for 15 minutes in between the grayling but it didn't seem to unsettle them...in fact my biggest grayling was my last fish of the day. The Itchen fish are absolutely the finest looking grayling I've ever caught too.Wonderful condition.

Will Barnard

Reaction score
Yes, thanks all. My 2 missions completed today, 1 to get my mate Jez into grayling and using a pin and 2, to get a half decent pike out of the venue. The 17 was just the trick, followed by a 9lber later on that initially felt like it may have been bigger than the first.

I did revert to the stick for a little while and had a lovely light golden bream at 6lb on the nose.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
They ruined that pub when they yuppified it a few years ago.
You're right. We should have met up afterwards for a half of shandy and a chinwag but I think we were all pretty bushed...