Debdale Park Reservoirs

M

Martin Crook

I am a couple of minutes drive away from the reservoirs at Debdale Park in Gorton close to Manchester and was wondering if anybody has any information they could give me as to the top spots for fishing and best rigs/baits etc. I have heard the two seperate reservoirs hold big carp, pike, bream and roach to name a few. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ado Rus

Reaction score
I see this thread what started few years ago however; I thought I should reply anyway just in case anyone else reads it.

I live only few minutes from the lake myself and have fished here many off times during my younger days. At present the park is being cleaned up and water has been drained off about half way. I am under the assumption it will all return to normal next summer.

The lake has a good selection of fish and should provide an excellent fishing venue once all the work has been done.

If you are reading this and are from Manchester then I would love to hear from you. I am looking for Manchester anglers to help me carry out some market research on this magnificent sport. The information gathered will help me start off few projects to help me improve the sport in the area…

All you have to do is answer few very simple questions. For further details please email me at info@anytackle.co.uk and I will reply with the questions. No names, address or anything like that…

Mohammad Zaki Hasan

Reaction score
Until about six months ago I lived in Gorton manchester. I came across Debdale park by accident and was even more delighted to find out that fishing was free. Although it says a charge applies on websites but there is noone to collect anything. I have asked myself from the managing office for fishing tickets but was told there was no need to buy one as the reservoirs did not contain much water.

I remember a few blokes fishing here. Out of the three times I fished here, on one occasion I caught two small jack-pikes using spinners. They were only small, but when no one is landing fish and you land two its an achievement.

There was another fellow watching me fish and when he saw me landing two, he called up his family on his mobile and within half an hour I was surrounded by little kids with their mommies either throwing stones into the water or dipping themselves in. two of his sons had fishing rods too. Hence I decided to call it a day but it was one of the good fishing days I have had.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

The way to tackle it is with a basball bat in either hand and half a dozen pitbulls by your side. They just might leave you in peace then!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Agree with Phil.

6 or 7 years ago I used to float fish in the margins in the evening on the lower lake, for nice Tench up to 5lb. Then some 'hard' kid thought it was amusing, along with his crowd of equally hard mates, to set his Pit Bull on me, only to call it off at the last moment.

The venue holds some nice fish, butwith the hassles you get there, it's just not worth it.

The upper reservoir is a little quieter but I personally won't risk it.

By the way the big Roach used to be caught nearly 30 years ago, haven't seen any recently.

jake myers

Reaction score
plenty idiots around im only 13 but iv never had eny trouble on ther but i have seen lots of it happening great fish in there , big pike , big perch , nice roach , some quite nice carp in there also worth fishing but i would wait till its full back up again... could do with a bit ofa restock polish poaching on there...

The Monk

Reaction score
a good pike and roach water, a few decent carp in the bottom one, we took them to 19lb when we fished it as a group in the 70s, last time I was up there was in the 90s with ron clay, my lad took a few small pike on lures, tales of catfish in the bottom one once but I`ve never seen a picture of one, but Phils quite right about the social problems the waters have, you need to go tooled up

raz

Reaction score
fished debdale for years now but mainly for pike and perch when i was younger up until acouple ofyear back when i started doing quite a bit of time on there carp fishing and was rewarded with a number of fish throughout my time on there never had any hassle at all and have done sessions on there for 2 to 3 consecutive nights. the carp i have had have ranged from 10 or 11 lb up to 22lb and had a couple of scraper 20 s but in my eyes definatly worth the time on there and the effort because alot of the carp in there are hardly ever caught some of which may not of been. there are rumours of a couple of fish over 30lb been in there and truthfully i dont see why there can t be.

pete oshane

Reaction score
i had a few nice pike up to 10 lb off the bottom lake and i had a masive pike on the top lake but got snapted i seen it tho it could of been pushing 30lb but not sure would never night fish it tho becoase of all the gangs that go in there

noodleninja

Reaction score
well horayyy debdale is finally full again well at least the reserz that are near macdonalds. Only been on there a couple of times never actually caught anything on there but will be trying again very soon so fingers crossed. could do with stocking up on there to be honest. As for the people who give fisherman shit in gorton are proably the ones who wish they were fishing too but sadly cant afford a rod ha. if any one has any tips of where about to fish on debdale plz post them as im sure i fish in the wrong place haha nice one! .

PAUL GRIFFITHS 3

Reaction score
great place shame about the location cant beleive no 1 mentioned the bream i was fishing 4 carp on the surface n ad about 20 bream up 2 about 8lb feeding on my dog bics nether did catch any carp but had plenty of jack pike n seen bigger n was baiting up 4 a while but only every saw tench over the bait so nether fihed it

pete matthews

Reaction score
has any one got any idea what is in the top reserz or good spots to fish on the top reserz thinkin about fishing it soon any suggestion welcome

chopaxepiece

Reaction score
I'm from gorton myself..I've fished debdale a good few times

now if im honest, its a complete **** hole. even before they tried to revamp it.
years ago..mid 90s was a good run for ya money, they stopped charging because it just became pointless, no one paid, water was always full of shopping trolleys, tyres and the odd car or 2.

as for groups of lads, i can imagine it to be true...i'd stay clear of this water, its been **** for years.

there is no good spots as its just a huge deep pit...easily 30+ foot deep and that's not even in the centre...all cobbled bed so snags are a high.

as for fish? I'm not sure on numbers but i cant imagine it being stocked well, guess they are letting the fish just multiply and that's that.

Its merely used as a boating lake now a days for the cadets etc, and in summer kids go swimming. the water edge is about 40 ft from the bank on 80% of the water where it had been drained and not filled back up to its max...

the top reservoir in my opinion is even worse. fish minimal has it was drained to almost 80% of its size..you could walk right across the middle from the path in the centre of the 2 lakes right upto the end near the golf course...good thing about the bed is its all silt.

out of 10 id have to say its struggling to warrant a 2. its a really really hard water and if you catch anything of size, get those lottery numbers on.

muffins

Reaction score
I'm from gorton myself..I've fished debdale a good few times

now if I'm honest, its a complete **** hole. even before they tried to revamp it.
years ago..mid 90s was a good run for ya money, they stopped charging because it just became pointless, no one paid, water was always full of shopping trolleys, tyres and the odd car or 2.

as for groups of lads, i can imagine it to be true...i'd stay clear of this water, its been **** for years.

there is no good spots as its just a huge deep pit...easily 30+ foot deep and that's not even in the centre...all cobbled bed so snags are a high.

as for fish? I'm not sure on numbers but i cant imagine it being stocked well, guess they are letting the fish just multiply and that's that.

Its merely used as a boating lake now a days for the cadets etc, and in summer kids go swimming. the water edge is about 40 ft from the bank on 80% of the water where it had been drained and not filled back up to its max...

the top reservoir in my opinion is even worse. fish minimal has it was drained to almost 80% of its size..you could walk right across the middle from the path in the centre of the 2 lakes right upto the end near the golf course...good thing about the bed is its all silt.

out of 10 id have to say its struggling to warrant a 2. its a really really hard water and if you catch anything of size, get those lottery numbers on.

ignore this numpty. on not one bit of the rez is the waters edge. 40ft from the bank. as for it being drained next to nothing and the person saying fish stocks are minimal. yes it was drained but more than enough water left in for the fish. only the shallows at the bottom end. were empty so from the middle of the rez to the dam wall. all that was still full of water so at least 18 acres of water was still left. plenty of fish in the place, just gin clear and full of naturals. give me a carp from hear any day, rather than some poor fish thats got no mouth left and i's own silly name due to angling pressure. granted debdale is not for everybody, but it's got some huge pottential to throw up some cracking fish. i've witnessed and caught many from the place.

uscarper

Reaction score
I know i'm not fishing in this area, or even on the same continent for that matter, but let someone put there dog on me for fun. they will be toteing their dog home in a plastic garbage bag with a rather large hole in its head where its brains once were. I like dogs, have had them in the past. but this would not be tolerated here. harassment of this kind would at the very least result in a large fine, possibly jail time. as for their dog, police would say sorry about your luck. even if i did nothing to their dog. the police would take it and put it down. fishing here no one really harasses you but hunting sometimes people do. 1 phone call to the police and game warden and they wont harass you any more. this is takin very seriously in my area.

Last edited: