Clattercote, the last FM Fish-In

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
pity if it is the last FM fish in

In total agreement M'lud, I have not yet attended one but will be hoping to in the near future.

My usual day for fishing is Sunday (with the occasional:wh late afternoon session if I can get away from work. Anyone got a forcast for this afternoon?:D Saturdays are almost impossible due to family committments and weekdays will involve using annual leave of which only a few days are now available.

Clattercote on a Saturday would have been tricky and potentially expensive due to the limitations of my tackle and would have required the purchase of keep nets, feeders, leads and stage stands.

Before I consider the next venue I need to check that my attire will pass muster, a green Regatta coat or hoody (dependent on temperature) levi denims and matching Nike trainers and baseball cap (wellies if needed).

If this is unacceptable could FM please supply the neccessary branded gear and stickers, alternatively I could join another forum:eek:mg: If the morning suit is required for Guildford, perhaps Poshers could lend me a spare (preferably without the port stains or leftover stilton in the pockets:D:D)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I was wearing a FISHINGmagic sweatshirt thing that GM gave me some years ago. It was the first thing to fall out of the cupboard after I'd rejected the black fleece thinking I'd be too warm and now wish in hindsight that I'd taken the fleece.

In addition to this I was wearing a hat with the brand name FOX on it, but this was at my wifes instructions. When I told her I was going to fish at Clattercote she distinctly said, "WEAR THE FOX HAT!"

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Before I consider the next venue I need to check that my attire will pass muster, a green Regatta coat or hoody (dependent on temperature) levi denims and matching Nike trainers and baseball cap (wellies if needed).

If this is unacceptable could FM please supply the neccessary branded gear and stickers, alternatively I could join another forum:eek:mg: If the morning suit is required for Guildford, perhaps Poshers could lend me a spare (preferably without the port stains or leftover stilton in the pockets:D:D)

You can have all the above just say how you want to pay for it........:doh::D

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
It was my understanding that the match in question here is the 'Keith Culley Memorial Match' rather than the 'FishingMagic Clattercote Match' and that it pre-dates most angling websites, including FM.

I own, but have never really worn, both old and new logo FM caps. I do not wear them much as caps in general very rarely fit me well (these being no exception) and they offer little protection from sunburn. Unlike my wide brimmed, kangaroo hide, bush style hat, which I did wear.

I am happy to fish it with anyone who joins in with the spirit of the occasion, whatever they decide to wear.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
don't start down the sticker route

I've not yet compelted my set - cost me thousands and I've still tryinh to get the "Ron Clay and **** Walker kissing" sticker to complete it

I do ahve 578951 geoff maynhard stikers if anyone want to frighten kids and the elderly:eek:

Reaction score
Is that because the caps aren't perfectly formed half sphere's?

This might help Paul... needs a brim though! ;)

dd198874fa8b6287_large

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
AS Ron has so eloquently pointed out in the past - baseball caps are for chavs anyhow. Ergo - those with heads suitable for baseball caps must be either chavvy or decended from chav-stock.

A good quality bush style hat is far more suited to the rigours of fishing: waterproof, rugged and easy to tip forward to snooze under.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Jeff

Sorry about thedelay in replying to your comments about my posting, but I do have a few points I would like to make:

It may well be that Blenheim wasn't an 'official' FM event (But what is? I'll come back to that) but it was publicised on FM

I have been asked (nominated) to to articles about Fish-Ins in the past, and have been happy to do so. I've also done articles to accompany the 'official' write up giving my own views about all the goings on. Usually starting with the 'craic' over the breakfast table, which is not to be missed, as it's the one time most of the participants are all together and are still (relatively) sober.

I didn't bring a camera, which was an oversight on my part, I admit, but if I had, I certainly would have made sure that the batteries were charged, otherwise no point in even mentioning that you have one if its useless.(I'll come back to that too)

As for the suggestion that I am some way in the wrong for not making multiple postings on the Clattercote thread, or indeed the forums in general, is that now sort of FM policy? If you don't contribute often enough, you are not worthy? I would have thought that the contribution of one decent post would far outweigh 200 posts of complete dross. But there again, if you are measuring success on site traffic, then you need every bit of old tat you can get, I suppose.

You ask about articles from me. Currently I am still working 60+ hours a week and commuting 200 miles per day, so the 'spare time' (given freely) I used to devote to writing articles just isn't available. However, that situation is happily ending soon and I will hopefully regain some spare time.

What I would like to know therefore, is if FM is considering running any more Fish-Ins. And by that I mean the sort that will encourage new members to come along rub sholuders with the rich and famous on here without feeling daunted at the prospect.

Events where people introduce themselves, wear badges with their names on so people can recognise who they are talking to, events where there is an obvious organiser in attendance from start to finish to offer guidance, advice, take pictures and notes for the accompaying article if required.

Maybe FM could budget for a set of scales (and yes a T-Bar as well Mr. Nellist..!) and a weigh sling, a draw bag and a set of peg numbers that can be used and re-used. This 'match set' could reside with the organiser and be loaned out to other (smaller) events if required.

Now, I've only organised conferences for up to 1100 delegates, A/V displays, accomodation, dining, fashion shows, after dinner speakers and entertainment. I have designed and staged award winning displays at the NEC, BICC, SECC, Harrogate and about 70 other venues around the country, and arranged Sports Club and Sports Shop public appearances for top flight sportsmen (and women) so I think I know all the pitfalls of trying to arrange events, but for all of the above, it is/was critical that SOMEBODY is in charge. That's all it needs to make it a success

Is that what FM wants, or not

No regular flagship event(s) means no community within FM in my opinion, why would I want to write for a site with 60-70,000 members when I don't know a single one of them...?????????

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
But there again, if you are measuring success on site traffic, then you need every bit of old tat you can get, I suppose.
Now that's just being bitter and childish. The promotion of any event on FM requires quite a lot of 'tat', as you call it, so that it keeps it up the list of threads and shows others that we are a very friendly bunch. I prefer the term, banter or badinage rather than 'tat'. Something, I keep being told, is missing from FM. :confused: :confused::confused:
I didn't bring a camera, which was an oversight on my part, I admit, but if I had, I certainly would have made sure that the batteries were charged, otherwise no point in even mentioning that you have one if its useless.
I only mentioned it when you pointed to the fact that no one took any photos and implied that it should be my job. Let me put this straight to you, my 'job' is here sitting at a desk and editing. When I go on a match it is in MY own time at MY own expense and there is no reason why I shouldn't extract every ounce of pleasure from the fishing just as everyone else does.

BTW, Mr Marsden, our previous Editor, hasn't brought a camera for the last 3 or 4 events (to my knowledge), but I never heard you tick him off. I think the last he brought one was when Stu Dexter was giving his demo on method feeder fishing and I borrowed it then to take some extra shots.

Maybe FM could budget for a set of scales (and yes a T-Bar as well Mr. Nellist..!) and a weigh sling, a draw bag and a set of peg numbers that can be used and re-used.
Never been asked for before at all the other, what is it now - 10 Clattercote matches? It is something I was going to look into, but it was at Andy's suggestion on Saturday.
why would I want to write for a site with 60-70,000 members when I don't know a single one of them...?????????
Saturday was your opportunity of introducing yourself. Anyway, there's an audience here, why do they need to know you or you they? Just write and see what comes.

As if to remind you, your last 5 articles for FM received the following reads in reverse order - 1212, 1552, 1137, 1730, & 1200. How many reads did your last article for a-nother site get? Think about it.
It may well be that Blenheim wasn't an 'official' FM event (But what is? I'll come back to that) but it was publicised on FM
The first wasn't "publicised" on FM, it was mentioned and then later there was a write-up, but it was by invitation only and not generally an open affair for everyone off FM. The second one, organised by Skippy, was more open, so I am corrected by Ray.

it is/was critical that SOMEBODY is in charge.
That somebody was Nigel on Saturday. I'm sure he will welcome your critique.

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

A good quality bush style hat is far more suited to the rigours of fishing: waterproof, rugged and easy to tip forward to snooze under.
And they don't burn a letter D on the back of your head when it's sunny! :D :D :D

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
....Saturday was your opportunity of introducing yourself. Anyway, there's an audience here, why do they need to know you or you they? Just write and see what comes.

Sorry Jeff, but Saturday was a prime opportunity for you. Whether you like it or not, you and Geoff represent FM (and, to a lesser extent, the mods as well). As I understand it, Kevin, Mark and Graham were all there, three of the past major contributors to FM. Surely a polite chat might have been worth it? What was there to loose? If not during the match itself then maybe at the pre/after match opportunities?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I did have a chat with quite a few, Graham Whatmore, Scott, Mark (quite a bit) and Andy, Stu, can't remember who else. Again, if I go around chatting to everyone I don't get any fishing done, but I'll always accept a drink off anyone in the pub later. ;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm beginning to wonder if I was actually there ! I really enjoyed the day,nobody accused me of wearing an non regulation hat and more people seemed to know me [or of me] than vice versa. Everybody was very friendly and I caught a few fish too.

I'm struggling to think of a downside. No photos and no write up is a bit of a bummer but its not the end of the world. Why is everyone getting so upset ?

I'll not wear my hat or catch in future if it helps.

Last edited: