Clattercote, the last FM Fish-In

Morespiders

Reaction score
Jesus, how long is this going to go on, yes your right Peter, Im not sticking up for anybody, but, seeing Jeff knew he was going to be ignored by most that were there I think some of them could have also done the same, I bet it was like going into the lions den for him, he got more or less the same treatment at the last Blenheim too, I personally find it embarassing.

Ive been through a lot this year, wont go into it, but one things certain.
Lifes to short

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Remembered now, a couple in the pub had a spaniel, lovely little 3 month old dog and I'm a sucker for Spaniels. She was born in Beaconsfield and went to Challeners in Little Chalfont. Lovely couple and and even lovelier little dog that I would have kidnapped if I could.

is that Doctor Challoners school in Chalfont?
Blimey thats one clever dog.........

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I agree with Spiders,I am not taking side's either, but it's not all down to Jeff to re build bridges, and it's high time some moved on, but just wont let it go.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm have to agree with Spider, it's only fishing.

I've had my differences with Jeff in the past but, I can't see why this is going on.
Jeff didn't organise the Clattercote day, so why he should be the one getting the flack. He has always been a participant never the organiser at this event from my view.
He didn't have to attend either.
The Memorial day has always been advertised on this site and FM members attended, whoever organised it got things done.

I have to say that far too much on-line banter goes on around the threads for the functions.(I blame it all on Bait Box:wh)
I can certainly see why new FM'ers don't attend,at times the in jokes just block out potential interest. Makes it look like an old boys reunion!

If you want follow up, liase with the organiser, don't leave him to do it on his own, then complain it wasn't done as you wanted it done.

It looks like bullying from this angle!

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Don't blame it on the sunshine, don't blame it on the moonlight, don't blame it on the good times, Blame it on the Bait box..

As sung by Fred.................:)

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I can certainly see why new FM'ers don't attend,at times the in jokes just block out potential interest. Makes it look like an old boys reunion!

TBF Fred if all of us newbies felt intimidated by 'in jokes' or "OLDER" posters:D we would merely lurk on the fringes (then again isn't that the predeliction of more senior members:rolleyes:). I can't speak for everyone but I would love to attend a fish in to meet you lot, or those that turn up, if only to see what I'm doing wrong:eek:mg:

I blame Greg
(old in joke newbies won't get )

See what I mean:rolleyes:

Perhaps we should just all book in to a Hotel and have a drinking contest:w

Nigel Connor

Reaction score
Or was it....?????
Part of the appeal of FM used to be its social events known as the Fish-Ins. Whilst we anglers can sometimes be a solitary lot, and a fair few spend their non-angling time ‘hiding’ behind their keyboards, there was always a ‘Fish-In’ coming to a venue near you if you wanted to a chance to see the faces (or avatars) behind the names (or nicknames).

Normally quite well-supported, there would be several events every year. Some were established, annual events, others more ad-hoc arrangements, but always these gatherings engendered the camaraderie of ‘belonging’ to the FM family.

But last weekend’s Clattercote Fish-In was a disappointment, not in the organisation by Nigel, but only on the FM camaraderie front. Although this event has attracted upwards of 40 anglers in the past, 30ish is the more regular number, and given the current financial situation that most people find themselves in these days, the fact that 20 turned up should be seen as a result of sorts. But not really a result for FM, in that only 3 of that number were committed, FM only members.

And this is not the only Fish-In that has suffered in the past year or so..........

No sign of the annual Press Manor fly fishing event this year - That’s strange given FM’s ‘Fish & Fly’ connections, you would have thought something like this would be an ideal opportunity to meet some of the members.

The Wensum in June – No takers yet

Idle Fish-in - Postponed last year, not rebooked yet

Grayling Fish-In. Some success, 5 turned up

Britford Fish-In. Postponed, not re-booked yet

Catfish Fish-In. Don’t think one is planned for this year

Aces v Chavs. Postponed, not sure if it’s still going ahead

James Farrow Memorial/FM Charity Fish-In. No sign of this continuing, and that is a real travesty

Blenheim. Probably the best attended annual event after Clattercote, but still with spare spaces

Then there was the GM ‘retirement’ bash, which of course was a one-off event, but probably the best attended FM ‘do’ ever, for obvious reasons.

And the point to all this? Well, are these ‘FM’ events or not? If they are (were) then should the members not expect some form of sponsorship by FM? And by that I don’t mean new rods and reels for everyone who turns up, nor Full English Breakfasts, Fish Suppers and a Free Bar for all the contestants. (Although a little trick with two loaves and five fish would certainly pull the punters in....)

The vast majority of the anglers who used to attend these events would happily fish for a 1st prize of a chrome-plated bobbin, and share a bottle of Vimto and a bag of Pork Scratchings to celebrate at the end. Just being at the event is/was the most important part of attending.

If the recent Clattercote match was an official FM event, why was no one ‘nominated’ to do a write up? Why was no one ‘nominated’ to take pictures before, during and after the match. People arriving, the breakfast (fabulous, by the way) the anticipation and ribbing at the draw. Snapshots of anglers during the match, the mounting excitement of the weigh-in and course the presentation at the end. With all those pictures, the story of the day almost writes itself. Without them...........well you won’t get much of an idea of what happened, if anything.

I don’t want to rake over the past, but if any of the events are going to go forward under the FM banner then it’s the personal appearance ‘touchy-feely’ presence by FM that’s needed to pull the punters in. Make them feel part of the FM family and the attendance numbers will rise again because members will want to be there because they will feel that they are wanted there.

Now, it might just be me, but it appears the dearth of attendance at the Fish-Ins seems to coincide with a substantial number of long term members drifting away. So the real question is does FM still want to run Fish-Ins under their banner, if so are they going to offer enough support (and that’s more in the way of moral support than financial) to make these events attractive to members old and new. You never know, some of those who have drifted away might even be tempted to come back.

If not, then perhaps listing these events as FM Fish-Ins might be construed as misleading advertising.......

Mmmm ..where to start?

Firstly there will be a write -up.I'm happy to put a few words together albeit there will be no pictures to compliment which is a shame but hey ho. I've never taken pictures and have always relied on others to do it at the last few matches.For next year, rest assured that I'm in negotaitaion with Sky at the moment for them to drop Fish o Mania and cover the Keith Culley instead.Seriously, at the next one I organise I'll make sure we have a few pictures even if I do have to take them myself as they are an important part of the day.

I would have done a write up before now but went straight into last minute preparations, and I mean last minute, for the Three Peaks which I completed yesterday.

Looking at the bigger picture it was a shame that we only got 20 fishing and out of those, I do not think there was anyone who had not fished it before, maybe apart from Yacko's mate.I do not know the answer why - maybe cost as some have said,maybe becasue it was FA cup day,maybe it was reflective of a lack of engagement amongst newer members given it was the same old faces who usually show up at these events under whatever guise.

I am not sure however that this should be laid at he door of FM though. Fish -Ins have really alsways been the responsibilty of members to run although Clattercote historically was organised by Graham Marsden until I took over a few years previously. That said it was never subsidised at all, save for Graham handing out a few caps and occasionally a "prize" from the fabled Marsden garage, and in more recent years FM paying for after match nibbles which I should add was the case last Saturday when Jeff picked up the tab.

FM fish -ins have never been"officially " run in my recollection.I certainly was not running the Fish-in for FM nor have I ever done.Its for my fellow anglers, most of whom I know, but hopefully some also whom I do not.Whether FM wants to do something more structured under its own initiative is a matter for it but it would be break in tradition.Perhaps one way the site could add value would be in negotiating some access to waters the ordinary angler would not have access to, in return for some publicity in the write up etc.If that was the case then I would certainly expect FM to provde the photographer and editorial for a write up.

Fih -ins are what they are - a means by which fellow anglers can get together , have some banter, make new friendships or re-inforce old ones , catch a few fish and go home happy.Hopefully by those criteria Saturday was a success.If not,I would be saddened to be honest and I would question whether or not I would continue doing it because knowing that I have played a role in giving 20 people a good day out is really what motivates me(...OK then, as well as my increasingly desperate, irrational and, I am sure, ultimately unfulfilled desire to see my name on the trophy!!!!!)

Sadly, it seems, though probably inevitably given the mix of those attending and recent events , the match became overlaid with some other issues which certain posts on here have touched upon, some mischievously ,some from more honest motives.I do not consider it appropriate or constructive for me to comment on those.

I have organised probably 8 or 9 fish in's now and the key to their success is certainty from the start.Its no good saying who fancies fish in on the river xx 's or lake xx. The only way to get them up and running is to have a definate proposal and to say here is where we are going and this is when it is.Lots of ideas for fish ins just drift away after an initial canvassing of interest because nothing definite is put forward, usually when a suitable date is looked for.

I'm with Fred in that some Fish in threads can be hard to navigate with all the banter so anyone logging onto the 10th page has to scroll back to the first page to get any idea of what is being proposed.Best to have a seperate arrangements thread with the details of the day and a regularly updated list of who is going.Have a seperate banter thread by all means but keep the arrangments seperate as you are more likely to get sign up from newer members.

They are my thoughts.Other views welcome.

Last edited:

Morespiders

Reaction score
Well done on your Three Peaks achievement Nigel, something to be proud of mate, mail me your address, will send you a cheque out of PaSC funds.

Pity your useless at organising:D:D