How did you get on?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
9.8lb B/s seems really high for a line of only 0.14.
If that really is genuine i'll get some myself, can you tell me it's name and do you know anyone who supplies it?
Trabbuco carp match, I got mine from Vale Royal Angling in Northwich Vheshire.
Tubertini do one called Gorilla, which is a good low dia line.

Krang

Reaction score
Caught this Thames trout.

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_153501.jpg
    IMG_20200622_153501.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 99

Paste paul

Reaction score
Trabbuco carp match, I got mine from Vale Royal Angling in Northwich Vheshire.
Tubertini do one called Gorilla, which is a good low dia line.
I’m not saying this is wrong mark but........
I bought some Maver line a few years ago when I got home I thought there’s no way this can be what it states !!!!! So I took it back it turned out there had been a miss print the kg and lbs were the wrong way round ????

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I’m not saying this is wrong mark but........
I bought some Maver line a few years ago when I got home I thought there’s no way this can be what it states !!!!! So I took it back it turned out there had been a miss print the kg and lbs were the wrong way round ????
If it was 9kg breaking strain that would be around 20lb ?

Krang

Reaction score
A proper Thames trout that is. Not from the area west of Oxford where they're known to be either. From much further along.

Got these too.
IMG_20200617_202124.jpg

Just looking at some other Thames trout. I notice mine has the same silvering along its back as this specimen.
original.jpg

Not something I've noticed on the trout I've caught previously.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Gary , Gary, your strength of mind is supposed to be getting you out on the bank not staying home.:p

I don't mind saying I'm more than a little anxious, I will take the plunge as it were but fisheries locally are stuffed with anglers. ?
When the chaps fishing gets back to work and save their fishing for weekends I'll be more confident.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Another session further upstream than yesterday. Earlier start, mist rising off the river. Spent about 4 hours roving a section of about a mile, float fishing. Loads of chublets including a bigger one of a couple of pounds or so, half a dozen roach, a few budge on and a single perch. Not seen any bleak at all. Bird life was fantastic -kingfishe, sparrow hawk, sedge warblers,reed bunting, chiffchaff and black caps. Go too hot so packed up about 11.
BC70253A-BF9D-4562-A76F-E72831E77C96.jpeg
FBC04E32-5CDC-49FA-B719-CF0F8A1DC23A.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon being a Met office Acolyte saw the forecast for today and decided the canal would be in sun all day and we would bake. Accordingly we switched venue to this.

IMG_6958.JPG

It turned out to be cloudy and breezy until about 2.00pm by which time we had had enough. Gordon fished the float for a change and I the feeder. The venue can be hard and disappointing and so it proved. I had 2 fine bronze bream around 4lb and a common around 6lb. Gordon had around 20 roach, Rudd and perch. I tried the special floats Peter Crabtree saw being used to devastating effect by skilled anglers. In my hands the results were underwhelming without a single take . I blame the venue and the absence of fish on or near the surface or even midwater. There were at least 8 other anglers and they shared our struggle. We thoroughly enjoyed the day though. No pics as certain members are not enamoured with Abyssinian tench.

Thanks again Gordon. We are improving and enjoying ourselves which is what matters. Another day and another venue beckons for Friday. It's good fun this fishing lark.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Mike with Abyssinian Tench?

BHF_Mike_20200623_103245.jpg

Mike's being kind. One half decent Roach the rest micro fish. Couldn't get a maggot or caster to the bottom without getting hit by tiddlers. Any bait I could get to the bottom did't produce any bites. Coming off the bottom didn't produce anything either. Poor fishing, for me, good company. Enjoyable day despite the poor result.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You’ve heard of the triathlon, I’m doing one of my trianglingthons over the next few mornings, river, lake and sea, all silly o clock starts and finishing before breakfast.

The river was first on the agenda this morning arriving on the bank at 04-30, you may have seen a photo I took at the weekend of the river swamped with canoes, kayaks and all that floats, glad to say it looks and sounds a lot different at sunrise
I’ve waited quite a while to try the Daiwa ultralight AWM13L which I finally found a few months ago.

it was a fish a cast, all small roach, perch, skimmers and a solitary rudd. My only complaint about the rod is the fact that I was fooled into thinking I had a decent size fish on when infact it was just a few ounces, such is the action of this delightful rod. It did however get a full test quite unexpectedly, I had put the rod down to receive a phonecall, leaving a maggot dangling in the margin at my feet, when I picked the rod up I thought I’d snagged but it was one of those slow moving snags, this felt properly heavy, maybe a pike that had been camped next to my keepnet, after a five minute battle the 2lb hooklength finally gave way.

i continued to catch small stuff regardless of pike activity, then almost on the last cast I once again thought I’d hooked a small pike so when those instantly recognisable stripes came into view my concentration was notched up a click or two. Finally in the net and weighed at 2lb 9ozs, a personal best for a river specimen.

Packed up at 9am as the canoeists arrived with the sound of inflatables being pumped up. Tomorrow it will be the estate and a rare sighting possibly of Ralph having his first fishing trip in six months.

mikench

Reaction score
Nice post John. I'm glad you like the rod. How does it compare with your other float rods?

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice post John. I'm glad you like the rod. How does it compare with your other float rods?

ive only used a Matchpro ultralight on the river which is eleven foot so not a proper comparison with the 13ft Daiwa, I also have a 14ft acolyte which I cannot use at this venue due to overhanging trees. As I said it’s a very soft actioned rod and even a three ounce roach transmits movement
in the rod, exactly what I was looking for given I normally catch a lot of small stuff with the occasional bonus fish.

The river was flowing very slowly hence the float wasn’t travelling any distance downstream before a bite so pick up is yet to be given a proper test.

I was looking for an original full cork but the modified reel seat on this rod which as been done very well is a definite improvement.

Keith M

Reaction score
I was looking for an original full cork but the modified reel seat on this rod which as been done very well is a definite improvement.

I thought that the rod in your picture was different to my AMW13L as mine has a full cork handle (See below) :unsure::)

Keith

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I rolled up to the river about 2pm and had a fair old walk in the heat. Anyhow, first fish was a small'ish chub...

After that I had some seriously huge dace which took double sweetcorn and half a dozen maggots. They were that big I had to look closely at them to make sure that they were infact dace....they were. I'd left my blower in my sling on the bank and really couldn't be harrised to wade back to take a pic.
There was a upstream wind and as I was casting hard across river I somehow managed to get a nasty wind not whilst performing a cast and I had to retreat to the bank to strip off the line to the knot and then re tackle my float and hook.
This prompted me to move further upstream to a very alkward place to get to where I always seem to catch barbel. As I got to the spot I realised i'd left my landing net resting on a rock mid river on the previous swim which i'd just left....darn it!
It was only about two thirds of a mile back but the walk was quite hard as a couple of hundred yards were actually in 5 to 10 inches of fast flowing water on slippy rocks so I thought i'd have a few trotts and then go back for the net.
Anyhow, I had those few quick trotts and caught this chub...

As soon as i'd had that chub I walked back to make sure my net was still there. Luckily it was :).
I moved several hundred yards up from where i'd originaly left the net and waded out across the river to fish as close to the far bank as possible, which was beneath large over hanging trees where the water was only about 8 inches to 15inches deep, so very shallow. I had some really good scraps off some quite decent chub which felt every bit as powerful as barbel (although the fight was not as prolonged as a barbel puts up) as they bolted for the tree roots and fallen trees etc along the bank.
One fish snapped my line against an obstacleseveral inches above the hook, it was either a chub or a barbel.
I had maybe a dozen nice chub around this size...

I also had a number of smaller chub and average dace.....no barbel though. Strangely enough I didn't even see any jumping or flashing which they normally do at this time of year as they try to remove the argulus lice.
As I walked along the river I noticed lots of pools holding thousands upon thousands of fry, many of these pools were cut off from the river as it has receded since the recent rainfall. Unfortunately these fry are all doomed!
There were lots more pools which will also become cut off from the river as it drops further still and again the same fait awaits many more thousands of fry that occupy those pools.
This is just one stretch of river so the amount of fry lost in this manner along the whole length of the river must be millions....quite shocking!

Last edited: