How did you get on?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My first trip out yesterday on a canal. I forgot my bread so it was a tin of hemp and some sweetcorn. Hardly a nibble for the 3 hours until one decent bite which resulted in this bream about 3-4lb which was my only fish. I caught it on the crust of my posh sandwich I had bought earlier, some sort of seeded brown bread, I should have had a posh not snot fish on it but nothing on the sweetcorn. It is the biggest bream I have had from here so fairly satisfied. The water was deeper than I thought about 4ft and a perfect day, a little colour in the water, no wind and pleasantly warm. I was after tench or rudd, the tench have always eluded me here but thought the rudd would show up. Float fished off the end of the rod with a 14 hook in about 4ft of water. Lots of weed, most of it looked brown and dying but found a gap in it. All to myself, no one fishing, a few walkers, a nice out of the way spot, one of my favorite places.
Two buzzards circled above me most of the time, kingfisher blitz pass me, common terns looking for fish, loads of sedge warblers and lots of bird song from the wooded bank opposite. All in all a very pleasant day.

Attachments

• canal 1.jpg
    canal 1.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 88
  • bream canal.jpg
    bream canal.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Reaction score
My topsy turvy restart since lockdown continues,along with me 'taking the wrong choice,at the wrong time),yesterday after last Fridays effort I took an Avon rod and centrepin for pellet with barbel and chub the main target,well got a nice,if shallow swim and baited up with a few small handfuls of 4mmers,instantly I could see chub and barbel gliding out munching,with odd carp occasionally having a look,first cast the rod sailed round and a four pound bertie was in the net,that was it,for hours,the sun had got up and though I saw lots of fish,they were just cruising,fast moving fish,with no interest in feeding,but...the swim was full of half tidy roach(4-10ozs)that were and I had no float rod,or lighter gear to fish for them,,however by 3pm the shade arrived and I had a wrap round and had a feisty 1lb barbel,then I saw it,a massive roach,now i've had quite a few two's(not hundreds mind)but this fish made anything i've had look small,it followed a near 4lb chub when I first saw it,it was at least 15" long and as it came under my rod in 18" of water it angled it's flank up at me you could see it was at least 6" deep, after a while it started to pick up odd pellets,I would never get a bite from it on my strong gear,but it was an honour to see it none the less.Anyway,I continued and had another 4/5lb barbel,a lull ensued and whist getting a call from a mate a mirror came into my inside swim with the roach and I gave a running commentary on boths progress,now none of the visiting carp had stayed longer than to pick up a couple of pellets,this fish had decided he was hungry,so I wound the gear in and lowered it down,the carp eased out,then back,came inside of my bait,ten turned,swimming straight out from the bank towards my bait,I leant to one side,watching my line and rod top saw the fish give a slight shake of its head,then the line moved slightly,rod bounced and the centrepin screamed,a mid-double fish eventually ended up in the net,ending the roach's appearances,a three pound chub ended my action for the day,on the walk back I bumped into Rob(the artist)always a pleasure,he had got into a swim nearer to the flyers that had been vacated for the evening,he landed his eighth barbel on the float and pellet as I left him and fair play to him for that...

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
First visit to the new club mick and I joined last week, arrived at six and already three fishing, so we had a walk round and picked a couple of swims which looked worth trying, tackled up with my pole for the margin and feeder rod for across to the island.

Bait was soft pellets, corn, and worms, and soaked two mm pellets for feed, when I poured the water of the pellets I had a carp come and investigate this in minutes, it really is good attractor, plenty of smell to bring them in.

Started on expander pellets close in by a large clump of yellow iris, had a few roach and skimmers, then tried worm for a better roach and two small perch, plus a barbel of about two pounds, then mixed some paste up and caught a few F1s, so plenty of variety, one or two carp showed up in the margins as well, but no bites of these.

After two pm it started to get hot and the carp were spending more time close in but not taking pellets or corn, so tried a couple of worms really close to the bank, which got me a carp of around nine pounds, good fight on the pole, but managed to keep it out from the bank away from the irises etc, so another species caught, after this disturbance I tried my feeder rod across to the island and had three more small barbel.

So a good first day on here, good variety of fish fish including a gudgeon as well, mick had a nice crucian too, with a mix of fish and a smaller carp too, pleased with the day should be ok here, everybody’s friendly as well.
51703490-FA3D-4C82-9BC4-8F6CC03978A4.jpeg
DDD38404-0121-4A1C-835B-D5FBB7402CA6.jpeg
A5C2BA95-9FAD-44FC-9DEF-768EC394DB8B.jpeg

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Oh well, just a strange one, I don't care a jot if people want to keep trout, as long as the fishery permits it,
But I ain't never seen a live one looking straight out like that. Just my opinion.

Krang

Reaction score
Oh well, just a strange one, I don't care a jot if people want to keep trout, as long as the fishery permits it,
But I ain't never seen a live one looking straight out like that. Just my opinion.

Rubbish.

spotted-autumn-brown-trout-21661180.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My hairbran idea of fishing a mini trianglingthon over three consecutive mornings looks in doubt after spending the afternoon by the sea down at the beach hut, an onshore breeze had churned the water up and the rafts of weed aren’t going anywhere for a few days, not ideal for lure fishing.

But day two went to plan arriving at the estate lake at 4-30am, not the sultry morning I suspect we will have tomorrow but warm enough. Being the lazy so and so I am, my rods are fully made up ready to fish but the size eighteen hook was changed for a slightly larger size eight to accommodate a large piece of bread flake, when I fished as a kid I often started off with bread flake and regularly had an early tench, today was no different, the first green tench of the season, they’ve been on the missing list on this lake.

I was joined at 5am with a rare visit from Ralph, he hasn’t fished for six months, wearing salopettes I’m wondering if he thought it was still winter.

I’ve lost count how many times I’ve netted a good fish at the beginning of a session expecting a few more to follow, fishing can be very cruel and today was no different, just a couple of bream but the last cast did bring a very nice roach.

Another early start tomorrow In search of big rudd, it’s going to be el scorchio.☀

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Another visit to Newlands today, but with a difference. I was swingtipping,
On the way there I realised I had left my maggots and worms in bait cooler.
So it was a choice between bread,hard pellet, soft hooker pellets and corn.
I set the swingtip rod up a 10' Shakespeare Sigma, reel was a Shimano 4000DL baitrunner loaded with 5lb line, weight was a 20g PI ics lead, hooklength was 7lbs Guru with 14 QM1 hook with a quickstop.
Also set up Shimano 4metre Beastmaster margin extreme with a 4 x 16 float on 7lb line to 6lb hooklength and 14 B911 hook, ,and a Shokstik 4.5 metre margin pole with a 4 x 14 Tuff Eye float with same line hooklength and hook. Also a 11' Daiwa pellet waggler with a PI Inception 4000 reel loaded with 5lb line, hooklength was 7lbs Guru with 14 QM1 hook and quickstop.
Started of on swingtip at around 30 yard cast.bait was a "bread mushroom " a succession of bream between 2lb and 4lb graced the landing net.
A change to an 8mm Robin Red drilled pellet saw same results.
I decided to give the pellet waggler a try, a lot of casts and cattying pellets out saw a couple of tentative knocks on the float, So abounded that. The margins produced roach to soft hooker pellet, Nòt much sport on 18 elastic.
So back to swingtip ,again with bread mushroom. Another cast of around 30 yards .
It wasnt long before the swingtip twitches and shot to the horizontal quicker than a teenager watching a mucky movie. The baitrunner was going 10 to the dozen.
I lifted into the fish ,and it was no bream, a large carp was on the end,I was stood up and holding rod high and walking backwards from peg trying to keep it away from far side. it managed to snag me on far side, I managed to get rig back in one piece.
Another chuck with bread, and 10 minutes later, same thing ..tip up reel screaming. I managed to get this one to my side of the water, It decided to go into the lilys but on the next peg.
So off my box landing net in hand, rod held high to keep line off rushes,
Inverted the landing net and used the handle to move the lilys around while hanging on to rod and trying to stop the reel from turning.
The carp came out of the lilys and headed for under the platform. I managed to stop it and back to the lilys it went. I thought if anyone Is filming this, it would get £250 on :"You've been Framed"
Inverted net again and handle moved the lilys to get at the carp, it came out and I managed to get the net down quickly and managed to steer it in the net. It was around 15lb.
I wanted to take a pic after taking pic of a beam, but the camera on phone would not open due to phone overheating. So phone went in cooler bag with the ice packs after that notice.
I released the carp, and had a last 10 minutes on pellet waggler but nothing doing.
IMG-20200624-WA0008.jpg