How did you get on?

Reaction score
If you get line attached to rope Alan It's worth mentioning to the bailiffs as there's a lot of nefarious activity going on especially up the top end, also much of the line (not all mind) in the trees is a result of the after dark goings on

I've put a post on the club forum Rob,did it first thing....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Similar for me too Jerry.. The Colne was in great nick this morning, nicely fined down after the recent deluges. No weed at all so I guess the silt has been scoured out and it’s back to clean gravel...
Set up 3BB stickfloat to my favoured B611 ( for this time of year) on the 17’ Aco..
It was a lovely morning, no wind at all as I started at 9:30.

CCB97B0C-6B45-4D1A-B777-1FD9E789BE30.jpeg

This is one of those will it or won’t it pegs? Some days it’s just the odd small fish, others it’s berserk...
Fed a few pouches of hemp down the middle and got going on punch. Missed 3 bites before hooking a nice roach. The roach kept coming as I continued to feed hemp with a few casters. I decided to try a tare, bosh! Float dived under and put a decent bend in the rod..

2BB1F185-4B03-49FC-AF39-0A1338C47F7A.jpeg

For the following 3 hours it was hectic, it didn’t matter what I put on as bait. Hemp, tare or caster, they wanted it..

D026F7A3-529B-4EC2-84B7-ADA3C75AB59F.jpeg

barbelboi

Reaction score
Nice bag of fish there Simon - with all the flowing stuff I have local I still miss the Thames tribs* after so many years of fishing them......................

*Can't spell tributaries..................

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Planned to go Tuesday but got done by the weather so went today....and got done by the weather !

Early one to try to dodge the day ticket anglers at Marsh Farm intending to have another crack at Harris Lake. Toodling along the path I noticed the members only lake was almost deserted...unheard of this time of year unless it had ( as it does) switched off completely. Anyway..with one of my favourite marks empty and no one anywhere near I couldn't walk past it. Soon discovered why it was so empty....it had indeed switched right off. The BF turned up shortly after me and followed my lead onto the members lake....his bogey water. His mood wasn't improved by talking to a bloke and his dad who had done a 48 hour session after the tench & crucian and hadn't had a bite between them. No pressure then.

Long story short. Nothing showed until about 11 when a fish rolled in front of me. I dropped a bait on his head and 5 mins later I'm in...crucian 2-2. 10 mins later I'm away again but the hook dropped out as I was bullying it out of the marginal weed. Damn...clearly a better fish. 10 mins later again and I'm away and this one stayed on...a lovely crucian of 2-14. And that was it. The heavens opened shortly after and it proper rained. Then it cleared...then it rained....then it stopped then it started and with no more action I gave it best about 1-30....the BF having surrendered biteless about 30 mins earlier. To our knowledge I had the only fish off the lake this morning. Its a beautiful place to fish,contains some stonking fish and can fish its head off some days...but can literally switch off overnight for weeks at a time. I've usually done pretty well there but its got the BF beat somehow.

Pic is of the 2-14

Attachments

• IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Another few hours at Newlands today, arrived around 12.30pm, Set up a pellet waggler to fish 18" deep, hookbait was an 8mm drilled robin red pellet, feed was 6mm hard krill pellets.
For the margins I set 3 topkits up,
One to fish the left margin dead depth at 3'
One to fish right margin at side of lily pads dead depth at 3' 6"
The third to fish in front of lily pads at 5'
All rigs were 4 x14 tyson floats shotted with small bulk and a couple of stoppers, hook was 911f1 mainline 6lbs to 5lbs hooklength.
Bait for left margin was ringers soft next generation pellets, feed 4mm ,and fish 6mm.
Bait for side of lilys was 6mm F1 sweet Dynamite baits soft hookers over softened 2mm skrettings with coconut liquid flavouring over them.
Bait for in front of lilys was corn with same flavouring over it.
After priming all 3 swims it was out with pellet waggler, after half an hour of a lot of effort and only a few knocks on the float, plus wind got up and made presentation difficult, it was time to have early look over the margins,
Primed the left one again with ringers pellets and the one in front of lilys with flavoured corn. Dropped in at the side of the lilys with f1 hooker and cad pot of 2mm.
Lowered float in and it carried on going down, I thought I had overshotted it, so lifted it up to bring it in and next second the elastic was coming out of the pole, fish on!
After a brief fight the net was under a 5lbw carp.
In went more 2mm pellets and again lowered rig over the top, a few tentative bites then a sail away, carp number 2 was in the net, similar size to number 1.
I decided to rest this swim ,so lashed some 2mm in at side of lilys and threw a couple of handfuls of corn in front of the lilys to keep whatever was in there interested,
Went to other margin, fed a few 4mm ringers and flicked the rig along the edge at 5 metres. All I could manage from here was a run of decent roach upto around 12oz.
So off to the lilys again. Another lashing of 2mm to the side of them and a cad pot filled with corn to try in front of lilys.
Lowered rig down and emptied half the cad pot over it. I didnt have long to wait before float sailed away and carp number 3 was on, i emptied rest of cad pot as i started to play the fish. This was one was just shy of 10lb.
I decided to just concentrate on the 2 lily pad swims, so by fishing one and feeding and resting the other, and taking a fish at a time from each, I ended up with 8 carp ranging from 5lbs to just over 10lb, I lost 6 carp either due to getting taken in lilys or hook pull.
Packed up at 4.45pm as the rain started to show.
Even though it was overcast and windy most of the day ,the fish were willing to feed.
An angler a few pegs away had a few carp and a tench of 7lbs, which he said put up a better fight than the carp.

seth49

Reaction score
Back on our other club water yesterday, set up Korum 13 ft power float rod, Shimano 2500 reel to 6 lb line with 4 lb hook length, I have a small Korum feeder bead tied to the end of the reel line already through the rod rings ,and have some floats ready shotted with hooks on, ready to use on pole winders, ready to use in a couple of minutes.

Fed some soaked 2mm pellets and for bait I had six mm expander pellets, mussels and paste, started of ok catching F1s, skimmers and Rudd. We started at 6 am and first few hours were ok, I also lost two good fish as well, one to a hook pull, and one in the weed, then about ten o clock it just switched off, started raining and a cold east wind got up.

This carried on for a few hours, with very few bites, tench were bubbling in the swim but I only caught one small one, plus’s a few more Rudd and one decent roach at the end, it was the same for the others as well, and it felt cold in that darned east wind.
DC99BCE3-9E7A-49DA-A985-C114F6F0275E.jpeg
7FF9091B-8327-43B2-96EF-6668A2164A45.jpeg
5DB60EBE-2F9E-4130-A7FA-A4840A27E095.jpeg

bullet

Reaction score
I was supposed to be Trout fishing with a friend this evening, but the weather forcast put pays to that.
I had a couple of hours spare today before the deluge was due to arrive so had a look at a club stretch nearby, which I really don't fish as often as I should these days.
Not much fly life to speak of, but a few fish were showing here and there and seemed to be liking my small deer hair sedge.
Most were just palm sized, but I did manage a nice one in fine nick, which as usual was lurking in a tricky spot under a low branch.

IMG_20200703_140737249.jpg

theartist

Reaction score
Got out today with dad, was hard work as the river was low clear and it was sunny and blowing a bit. Gave him the best spot available which wasn't saying much as it was busy as usual so we ended up in the shallow swims furthest from the car park. I was happy though as I was in a carpy spot so targeted my first river carp of the season, I had a few bubbling including a mid double and one biggy but was delighted with this one, all of 2lbs (and that's pushing it) my smallest ever river carp and an absolute delight.

IMG_0923.JPG

The thing went like a train too, reminded me of a mullet all twists and turns and punching above it's weight. The swim went dead so I compromised and put on a matchstick, partly as it doesn't spook the fish like a float does in the shallow water and also as it's just so much fun, I soon had the first of two barbel, not massive but hey c'mon it's barbel action on a matchstick.

IMG_0927.JPG

I then swapped with dad as he was catching nowt and I was getting buffeted by the wind, turns out a 1x no8 matchstick is no good in windy weather - who knew, In dad's swim I decided to stay on the 'stick' and try for all the species on maggot and soon had some tonking dace that would probably push 1lb come winter, here's hoping :D
IMG_0928.JPG

I then proceeded to get 5 chub in ten minutes, watching those white lips take the maggot each time is pure summer magic with no resistance due to the matchstick it was like taking a candy from a baby, not that I'd ever do that after all it's chocolate not candy, what are these Americans thinking anyway , none of the chub were much over 3lb but mad fun nonetheless. Biggest cheer of the day however was for the old perch, having caught a carp first knockings. then the others the old stripey was last on the list, Carp, Barbel, Gudgeon, Tonker dace, roach and the chub had all succumbed so watching the sergeant major, flash it's stripes in the clear water then take my bait was the icing on the cake on an improvised day, it was all of 4oz but hey ho it was the full set.

Poor old dad blanked on the lead for the barbel but they were skitty in the clear water, he was happy he got out though, we saw Whitty on the way back who regailled us of how he and dad had a chat earlier only for one of them to rush off for the call of nature, I dunno I know dad can be annoying but that's a new one Alan :D

Reaction score
It was good to meet your Dad after you mentioning him several times and he certainly wasn't annoying,nice to see him enjoying being out :) . It was my wife's fault the call of nature,she must have got the hump with me going fishing and spiced up the previous evenings dinner,I didn't taste it,but spices don't agree with me,so a mad dash had to be made to the loo....

my day was another day of indecision,fished the float,first cast a barbel of 5lb,here we go I thought,nah,struggled,had at least four nice roach come off the hook,plus a barbel,then a chub,and yes I changed the hook,anyway I had a chub around 2-8,then nothing,changed to the lead(the wind was a pig) and ended with six barbel,2 chub,plus a few roach and chublets....

theartist

Reaction score
It was good to meet your Dad after you mentioning him several times and he certainly wasn't annoying,nice to see him enjoying being out :) . It was my wife's fault the call of nature,she must have got the hump with me going fishing and spiced up the previous evenings dinner,I didn't taste it,but spices don't agree with me,so a mad dash had to be made to the loo....

my day was another day of indecision,fished the float,first cast a barbel of 5lb,here we go I thought,nah,struggled,had at least four nice roach come off the hook,plus a barbel,then a chub,and yes I changed the hook,anyway I had a chub around 2-8,then nothing,changed to the lead(the wind was a pig) and ended with six barbel,2 chub,plus a few roach and chublets....

Dad said you were a nice fella, don't worry though he'll probably mention that moment every time he sees you from now on though ??

Re the lost fish, I'm pretty sure it's partly down to the wind, as it's is narrow when those rushes blow about the fish get really skitty and the bites reflect that, also where you were most of the fishing is straight across in slowish water and the tree to the right stops you from doing the standard upstream strike and playing any fish against the current, don't worry to much about your set up, you'll lose more fish there than in other swims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My mojo not just for fishing but just about everything has been on the slide lately, the blood thinning medication is having side effects, fatigue and aching joints, can’t believe I will be able to tolerate this for the rest of my days as has been prescribed. The weather too is getting me down, the sea has been unfishable for lures and after six blanks and a thousand casts later it’s hard to keep the enthusiasm going. This annoying wind will not desist and today it’s got even stronger. My better half went out at ten to get prescriptions for her parents and said “why don’t you go fishing for a few hours“. I looked out the window into the garden and could only see leaden skies and strong winds ravaging our shrubs and trees.

Sitting on the sofa looking through various Facebook fishing groups and here of course I could feel my eyes getting heavy, looked at the time, 11-25am, sod it I must get off my @rse. Within minutes I rounded up a ready made up float rod, grabbed a bag and chair and made my way to the estate.

I was fishing some thirty five minutes later!

Caught a few roach on 3lb line size 18 hook using pellets then hit something solid, ten minutes later I just managed to shoehorn this 12lb common into my less than adequate net. Not the biggest fish I’ve ever caught but given I was fishing the sNagy end of the lake I’m well impressed with my efforts landing the beast, normally this is no contest as they make for the reed bed, how I kept it out I’ll never know.

Mojo duly restored ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That's how I do it these days John, just keep a ready made up rod and bag with a tin of sweetcorn in it. All I have to do is buy a loaf and jump on a bus and it is done. The same for the sea gear one float job and one weight job, both carp rods. The least effort and weight I can muster and it does not seem like a big sojourn.
My effort yesterday for a couple of hours yielded no fish. I did find out one useful thing though, unbeknownst to me the EA must have dredge it some time, it is now 10ft deep and I have been fishing at 4ft thinking I was on the bottom, the bait must have been resting on weed or something, maybe I need to make more of an effort like plum it occasionally:) but, I had a very pleasant conversation with a fellow angler, spotted, reed warblers, green wood pecker and a tern and I am usually glad I went.
The sea was like winter today, churning over like a storm, big waves breaking over the shore but later in the week it may calm down. I have some new waters to explore though so may put it off for a bit.

Attachments

• 100_0277.JPG
    100_0277.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Some lovely posts there from some good guys. Glad you were able to get out again John and what a belting common. Rob I really enjoyed your post , as always, and your times with your Dad are precious so make the most of them and him. I'm glad you are back posting .

I was tempted not to bother posting about the latest Gordon & Mike adventure because it was largely uneventful and whilst we both caught lots of Rudd, some roach and IDE and a gudgeon apiece none needed a net. Were we bothered, not one jot. We sat in the rain catching lovely little fish, chatted about all sorts and bemoaned the inaccuracies of the met office forecast. It was fishing at its most raw; horrible weather , on the float, maggot and punch and small hooks. No barbel or carp but some lovely , honest to goodness little fish. Isn't that what it's all about ?

Karma has been restored. The scene after packing up. Cheers Gordon again. ;)

IMG_7033.JPG

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Always worth reporting Mike., HDYGO isn’t all about bagging up, so much more to fishing as your post illustrates. ?

peterjg

Reaction score
I went fishing on the Kennet with my wife yesterday. We fished together in a nice swim which was sheltered from the gusty wind. There was a fallen tree just downstream so we both legered upstream using red maggots. Our baits were more or less side by side, the boss caught a perch, a roach, a rainbow trout and then a dace while I sat there biteless. Eventually I actually had a bite and caught a brown trout. A great day, the fishing was very slow but she made me laugh all day.

Reemul

Reaction score
Back from a days fishing.

Nothing between 7.30am and 2pm so we hopped along the swims a little.

Son then caught a 4lb Mirror closely followed by a 7.5lb.

All quiet for me still.

Then my son hooked a 15lb, his PB so far and was very very happy.

Still nothing for me, got to 6pm and I started to pack up.

My youngest son (10) had turned up and was sitting in my swim (he is also a member) and my rod eventually had it's one and only bite and he reeled in his PB of 12lb. At exactly the same time my eldest had his 4th carp to 7lb.

Great day for the kids, nothing for the old man :oops:

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Mrs J sent me out fishing for the evening on the proviso that I was bank fishing and so could take Molly the fishing poodle and therefore avoid the guilt trip she made me go through last time.
She now goes ballistic even if we spell F.I.S.H.IN.G.
Any way long story short, 3rd cast produced a 3 foot twitch and a 10 yard run out to mid river followed by a long tussle to get it back, if I’d lost it I would have sworn it would have been a PB, nevertheless I was pleased to see my first barbel for a few weeks, probably 6lbs plus a bit. 40g open ended feeder filled with 4mm halibuts with an 8mm Hali haïr rigged on a size 14 guru pellet waggler hook, but the key to success was balancing a hot mug of tea on my knee, never fails!
Plans for the week ahead, finish plastering our bedroom , have a couple of evenings fluff chucking the dray flay, and maybe a morning tenching with a touch of lure fishing for black bass thrown in.... here’s hoping!
123071222c1f02c4360240909f9b2726.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk