How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Spent this afternoon on a peg I haven’t fished for years, on the end of a jut opposite an island it at least offers some privacy in the busy Aquadrome. Double maggot on a 16 QM1 and 25g method feeder with gb.
Hundreds of black headed gulls were feasting on a massive hatch of flies, which is still going on 5 days after my last visit.

D4973B4D-FD2D-4A23-AA8E-D4D00F6EBE62.jpeg

A flotilla of red crested pochard drakes accompanied by a lone mallard duck were patrolling all afternoon...

F8F692EF-E0DF-4947-A8AE-EB43CF7D6689.jpeg

The tench and bream eluded me again....

bullet

Reaction score
Wanted to get out on the Fly today for Trout,but the River was way too high still, so took a stroll this afternoon with the Spinning gear hoping ( very optimistically) there might be a Salmon about.
As it turned out, there was, on about the 4th cast had a good pull which resulted in a nice fresh Springer of about 8 or 9 lb. Got it unhooked swiftly and away it went.
That'll probably be it for the rest of the season on the Salmon front!
Carried on down the stretch, but the only other interest in the flying c was a nice Chub....

IMG_20210321_164647072.jpg

A few Olives and midges coming off, and the Sand Martins are back, so it's starting to feel a bit like Spring here.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Wanted to get out on the Fly today for Trout,but the River was way too high still, so took a stroll this afternoon with the Spinning gear hoping ( very optimistically) there might be a Salmon about.
As it turned out, there was, on about the 4th cast had a good pull which resulted in a nice fresh Springer of about 8 or 9 lb. Got it unhooked swiftly and away it went.
That'll probably be it for the rest of the season on the Salmon front!
Carried on down the stretch, but the only other interest in the flying c was a nice Chub....

View attachment 13909

A few Olives and midges coming off, and the Sand Martins are back, so it's starting to feel a bit like Spring here.
That chub’s a beauty!

Rod McG

Reaction score
Fished Broadwaters late in Weybridge this weekend, first time since November.
Loads of carp jumping and topping, couple cruising around and activity in the margins.
Fished a ledger with boilies, bread and corn....not a bite all day Saturday. Also fished a waggler with maggots.....not a bite.
Back yesterday, same story. Got a bit bored and fished a whip about 6m out with 2 maggots on a size 18 to see if there were any small perch or bream...no small fish but hooked and landed a 6lb common carp, lucky I used the elasticated top sections...not too much of a fight, perhaps still a bit lethargic from the cold.
Left the ledger rod out all day and at sundown had a 9 or 10lb common.
Considering the amount of fish showing, thought I would have had more luck.
Nice weekend all in all, but miss the busy fishing style of canal fishing.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Fished Broadwaters late in Weybridge this weekend, first time since November.
Loads of carp jumping and topping, couple cruising around and activity in the margins.
Fished a ledger with boilies, bread and corn....not a bite all day Saturday. Also fished a waggler with maggots.....not a bite.
Back yesterday, same story. Got a bit bored and fished a whip about 6m out with 2 maggots on a size 18 to see if there were any small perch or bream...no small fish but hooked and landed a 6lb common carp, lucky I used the elasticated top sections...not too much of a fight, perhaps still a bit lethargic from the cold.
Left the ledger rod out all day and at sundown had a 9 or 10lb common.
Considering the amount of fish showing, thought I would have had more luck.
Nice weekend all in all, but miss the busy fishing style of canal fishing.
Is that a day ticket water RodMcG? I walked around it a few years ago as my sister lives in Weybridge, in fact she worked in some stables not far away but I never explored it further. I would be interested to know but if you do not want to say, I would understand. (I tried to send you a PM but that does not seem to be working right now! If you want to reply that way if you can that's fine)

Rod McG

Reaction score
Is that a day ticket water RodMcG? I walked around it a few years ago as my sister lives in Weybridge, in fact she worked in some stables not far away but I never explored it further. I would be interested to know but if you do not want to say, I would understand. (I tried to send you a PM but that does not seem to be working right now! If you want to reply that way if you can that's fine)
It a public lake Mark.
I rent a flat that borders on it, so it's a 2 minute walk for me.
The opposite side has a walk path along it with a few places to fish, it pretty busy I summer with dog walkers and joggers but right opposite our flats is a decent place that people fish from.
I think a club used to have fishing rights for the lake a while back, but that's seem to have fallen away.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It a public lake Mark.
I rent a flat that borders on it, so it's a 2 minute walk for me.
The opposite side has a walk path along it with a few places to fish, it pretty busy I summer with dog walkers and joggers but right opposite our flats is a decent place that people fish from.
I think a club used to have fishing rights for the lake a while back, but that's seem to have fallen away.
Thanks RodMcG-I will have another look when I go there next.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Went to Newlands again today ( I must be a glutton for punishment after last two visits)
There were around 3 pegs vacant on the bank I usually fish and around 12 on the other side of the island.
Had a walk along "my" bank and nothing was doing. Few pike in the margins all along the stretch, so margin fishing was out.
Set up on a peg i hadn't fished before,
Straight lead on one rod and a normal waggler on the other for anything that swims.
Out with bomb rod,6mm banded pellet soaked in pellet oil as hookbait and pouches a few pellets out over it at around 20 yards.
Waggler rod was fished with red maggot,
This was fished on the drop at 6' deep at same distance as bomb rod.
It was fished wag n mag style ,but instead of lashing the maggots in it was around 5 a time.
Nothing doing on either rod.
So it was in with the waggler rod an leave the bomb rod in place but this time with maggots on the hook and cast to where I was fishing the waggler. Then joined a few others stood near my peg for a brew and chat.
I admitted defeat after a couple of hours, no fish were being caught on either bank apart from 1 carp in the corner of the opposite bank.
So loaded up the car and headed for home.
Thinking of going back on either wednesday or thursday,

mikench

Reaction score
I decided to venture forth if only to try out my barrow and reacquaint myself with my original chair. The barrow was far better than I expected and I was glad I practiced loading it and the car because it all worked seamlessly.
IMG_9542.JPG

I float fished with maggot on a 20 hook and had around 25 assorted fish mostly gudgeon and small roach but a few silver bream like this.

IMG_9541.JPG

I only took a pic because it leapt out of water several times like a madcap trout and fought like crazy all the way to the net. It was bizarre behaviour for a bream but most welcome. I had a few more of a similar size and they all behaved similarly but not quite as frantically.

I gather a few other guys on the other lake who feeder fished blanked. It was good to be out and the weather improved as the day wore on. My original chair is on the small side but will do until I can find another i like or receive a replacement part from Korum. It appears chairs of every make and hue are in very short supply.

I .look forward to being able to try alternative venues soon.

john step

Reaction score
Its bites that count when the waters cold Mike. You had a good day.
I know someone that travels to the local lake to fish by bicycle. He has one of those white plastic chairs hidden in the bushes and seems to like
fishing from it.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Spent a few hours on the town pit again yesterday. Tried a new swim which is usually disturbed by water skiers.

The hatch of flies is still ongoing judging by the hundreds of gulls still gorging themselves.

Tried maggot feeder then method gb and maggot. Blanked! Again!

It was a beautiful spring day and felt good to be out although I think the water is still cold.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Another piking trip to the local reservoir this morning,only 3C but soon warmed up staggering up the field side with the kit.
Settled down with three deadbait rods set up and watched five bloody cormorants flying over working up an appetite. Was watching a crow annoying a buzzard when the middle rod went off resulting in a jack of about 6lb and in the next hour I had three more,the biggest being 9lb 2oz,easy unhooking using single or tandem Aberdeen longshanks. Sensed the wind picking up and the crows started their acrobatics and the buzzards were also soaring higher.

seth49

Reaction score
Back on our usual water yesterday, still felt cold and the cold wind was still blowing, just five of us fishing so not many on, started with method feeder out towards island, placed that on alarm while I pole fished maggots for the roach, bream, and tench.

Had a bite on feeder within minutes, from a nice little tench, these are doing well since they were stocked last year, already putting weight on, but that was it on feeder, it was slow on the pole as well, just a few small roach and skimmers, plus one biggish gudgeon.

Nobody else was catching much either, Neil had a double figure carp on the feeder, plus bits on the float, and mick had a couple of carp as well, these coming from the middle of the pond in deeper water.

No sign of any carp in the margins later, so it’s still very cold here, just needs to warm up.
F0EA6160-BB00-4B5D-807E-398A1BA0E084.jpeg

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I only took a pic because it leapt out of water several times like a madcap trout and fought like crazy all the way to the net. It was bizarre behaviour for a bream but most welcome. I had a few more of a similar size and they all behaved similarly but not quite as frantically.
I get this quite often with bream, great fun!

mikench

Reaction score
Well I ventured forth again to a water i didn't originally like. I had only 1 small perch in 3 visits and gave it up. I returned this year to try piking and blanked on 3 visits. I went today in the forlorn hope of a tench.

IMG_9545.JPG

I fished a feeder rod to no avail regardless of bait. I used a GB mix with corn, hemp and wheat added but no tench. I float fished using maggot and managed 29 fish all small including perch , roach, skimmers and a few hybrids. The place is growing on me despite it's spooky atmosphere and diabolical unmade road to negotiate and a very muddy carpark. It was pleasantly mild and an enjoyable day. I think I'll go back.