10 Metre Preston Edge Monster.

seth49

Reaction score
Bobco in Leeds are showing them in stock, when I looked just now, a good pole, I like mine.

Kevin.gillingham

Reaction score
I was hoping to get one second hand and save some money but it looks like I will have to pay for a new one.I know Bobco and Angling Direct have them.Thankyou for the advice

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Get a Matrix MTX, they are 8.5 metres ,no dolly butt, stronger sections, side puller already fitted and tip ends bushed.
Just add elastic and it's done.
I had a waggle of the Edge Monster, Matrix and Acolyte.
To me the number 4 section felt flimsy and spongy on the Edge Monster.
I had a 16 metre maver years ago and the 4 and 5 were like that, I queried it with maver and they said it's to allow a certain ammount of flex in the pole.I had no problems with it, My concern with the Edge Monster was that I would be exerting more pressure on it,
I had the matrix and acolyte up together, similar priced, to me the matrix just got the vote, plus I got extra topkit with it.
I know a few Response margin poles went bang at the 4 or 5 section. But as the saying goes ,its anglers who break poles not the fish.

seth49

Reaction score
I’ve never used all the sections on mine, usually just a top kit and two sections, had carp too just over fifteen pounds on it no problem, I use the Preston dura slip size thirteen on mine for carp, it handles them no problem, soon powers up, and then use the puller kit to bring them in, l don’t like stronger elastics after I broke the number two section on my first margin pole, a drennan red range margin.

Kevin.gillingham

Reaction score
I have a budget of around £200,as it's a second pole,I already have a 14.5 meter Maver Match this 5.
So it's just for those big units down the edge or top 2 under my platform. Ive had a Garbalino 13m for 15 years and have landed some big carp on it.
So I'm even considering using it as my margin pole.Its just ive seen Ben Cook and Des Shipp test it.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Personally I use my main pole for everything. Two massive advantages: less to set up and less to lug around!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Personally I use my main pole for everything. Two massive advantages: less to set up and less to lug around!
Would you use it on some of the waters at Woodlands at Thirsk, or say Alders Farm, or Clattercote. ? I use my main pole (Daiwa G50)on the commercials in the North West such as Fir Tree, Wrightinton, Cunneries, Partridge, Blundells to name a few.but the water I fish in Oxford a dedicated margin pole is a better option.
I used an old Garbolino GMax 800 on this water, I hit into a decent carp, it was estimated at 20lb, then the hooklength went at the net. I only took it to try it out before I sold it on. The same with a Middy 65-2 . I was going to keep that and sell the Daiwa but couldnt get used to it.
I wouldnt use a decent pole on any of the waters I have mentioned,
I would say fishing a water with a pole that is stocked with F1 is a lot different than latching onto a margin fish than go to 20lb plus.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Would you use it on some of the waters at Woodlands at Thirsk, or say Alders Farm, or Clattercote. ? I use my main pole (Daiwa G50)on the commercials in the North West such as Fir Tree, Wrightinton, Cunneries, Partridge, Blundells to name a few.but the water I fish in Oxford a dedicated margin pole is a better option.
I used an old Garbolino GMax 800 on this water, I hit into a decent carp, it was estimated at 20lb, then the hooklength went at the net. I only took it to try it out before I sold it on. The same with a Middy 65-2 . I was going to keep that and sell the Daiwa but couldnt get used to it.
I wouldnt use a decent pole on any of the waters I have mentioned,
I would say fishing a water with a pole that is stocked with F1 is a lot different than latching onto a margin fish than go to 20lb plus.
I suppose I’m not hooking into specimen carp regularly enough to consider it. I use a MAP 525 and have no concern fishing the margins with it, reasonably regularly catch doubles but have never thought I needed a different pole.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I suppose I’m not hooking into specimen carp regularly enough to consider it. I use a MAP 525 and have no concern fishing the margins with it, reasonably regularly catch doubles but have never thought I needed a different pole.
The reason I mentioned those waters is that they hold some big fish that know every snag going.
The water I fish at Newlands is only supposed to hold carp to around 10lb, admittedly they do remove any larger ones if caught when they have the chance,
A 19lb came out last week, my 13lb yesterday, I have had them to 15.5 lbs.
The margins on here are a patrol route for various size carp, and decent tench to 6lbs. I have had carp to mid doubles on my G50 but that has been in open water.
If the OP can source a 2nd hand one I would go for a Shimano Beasmaster 850b, a brilliant margin pole, I am sorry I sold mine due to lack of use in north west.or try and source a later model Daiwa Yank n Bank.Failing save his money, rubber the topkits up, fit bottom pullers if no side puller facility on his Garbolino and use that.

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Sometimes you have better control fishing the margins with a rod and reel.
Try fishing a small method feeder down the edge leaving a slackish line, and watch the rod tip for indications of a bite.
You can also get to places you can’t with a pole, which can be a winner.
Get a good butt rest (guru reaper recommended), they know exactly when you take your hand off the rod handle!

Kevin.gillingham

Reaction score
The reason I mentioned those waters is that they hold some big fish that know every snag going.
The water I fish at Newlands is only supposed to hold carp to around 10lb, admittedly they do remove any larger ones if caught when they have the chance,
A 19lb came out last week, my 13lb yesterday, I have had them to 15.5 lbs.
The margins on here are a patrol route for various size carp, and decent tench to 6lbs. I have had carp to mid doubles on my G50 but that has been in open water.
If the OP can source a 2nd hand one I would go for a Shimano Beasmaster 850b, a brilliant margin pole, I am sorry I sold mine due to lack of use in north west.or try and source a later model Daiwa Yank n Bank.Failing save his money, rubber the topkits up, fit bottom pullers if no side puller facility on his Garbolino and use that.
That's exactly what ive been thinking

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Your Garbo will be fine.
I’ve broken 1 pole section on a fish, power top kit as it happens, same as would be on a margin pole.
1 pole section by clipping it with my boot, on the bank. Human error.
And had a pole float tip in my finer for 4 months after a tench did me in some lilies. Very painful!

Attachments

• 5B56A16D-18C8-4358-9512-972559AF7553.jpeg
    5B56A16D-18C8-4358-9512-972559AF7553.jpeg
    768.5 KB · Views: 127

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
That was the day I forced it out, 4 months after it went in!
On the day, after bleeding subsided I carried on fishing. Caught a few tench too after upping my elastic and line. (Same pole).
went to A and E a few days later, who advised me to leave it in like shrapnel as removing it could cause more damage.
Here’s the piece after it came out:

Attachments

• DDC6B9FB-10DA-49A2-8E37-76E35137F9B0.jpeg
    DDC6B9FB-10DA-49A2-8E37-76E35137F9B0.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 128

Kevin.gillingham

Reaction score
That was the day I forced it out, 4 months after it went in!
On the day, after bleeding subsided I carried on fishing. Caught a few tench too after upping my elastic and line. (Same pole).
went to A and E a few days later, who advised me to leave it in like shrapnel as removing it could cause more damage.
Here’s the piece after it came out:
??

Kevin.gillingham

Reaction score
Ive decided to use my Garbalino this year,and fit side pullers in them.
If Santa is good he might get me a Edge monster for Christmas

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Ive decided to use my Garbalino this year,and fit side pullers in them.
If Santa is good he might get me a Edge monster for Christmas
What Garbolino pole is it, ? Are your topkits already over wrapped for fitting side pullers,? If not they will need doing.
Tell Santa to be really good and get you either an Acolyte or Matrix MTX