10 years from conception

dezza

Reaction score
It is now almost ten years since the Fishing Magic Concept rod was conceived.

The initial idea for an all round big fish rod was mine. Then Graham Marsden became involved, who was also able to organise with Dr. Steve Harrison of Harrison Advanced Rods for a design to be finalised.

The final specification was:

Length:............11 feet
Test Curve........1 1/2 lbs
Handle..............22 1/2 inches long - cork
Reel seat...........Fuji DPS downlocking
Guides..............SiC 9 off including tip
Keeper ring........yes
Action..............stiff in the butt with a fast taper under the hands, tapering much faster in the last 2 feet of the tip of the rod.

Rod Finish.........Plain and matt, only the whippings to be varnished.

Most who acquired this rod were delighted with it. The design went onto being used to catch everything from 20 pound pike to double figure barbel and 2lb roach. My own two rods have been in regular use for nearly 10 years. This year alone they have thumped out many good tench and bream. I have found them absolutely ideal as a general tench and chub rod.

In the latest Coarse Angling Today, Graham Marsden, during the interview by Chris Ball, mentions the development of the Fishing Magic Concept Rod, and how various members of this site were also involved.

One thing that is for sure, the FM Concept will still be landing big fish by those who purchased one in another 10 years hence.

The rod is a modern classic.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Any significance in the past tense? Personally, as I am unlikely to find, purchase or use a FM Concept rod it may as well be one of these:

Nothing like such rods.

The Concept was designed primarily as a rod for playing fish using lines of from 4 lbs to 12 lbs bs. The test curve is 1 1/2 lbs.

The Concept blank mandrill is still in existence and top quality finished FM Concepts are still available from a number of custom builders.

Google Harrison Advanced Rods.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
I have not used my two a lot but had my first 7lb tench and 10lb bream on them last summer. Got them out of loft other day for a bit of method feedering for bream & tench hopefully. Not washed the one I got of Graham though...:eek:.

flightliner

Reaction score
The spec sounds ok-- like many others-- I,m sure its a good performer but the one thing that lets it down for me is the length, twelve foot would have been better tho its down to the buyer at the end of the day.
Anyone wanting a modern day classic may also like to look at some of the rods Pete Evens of Sheffield made in the mid eighties, they were , in my humble opinion, the absolute rod in the 1.5 tc range.
Daiwa did a 1.25 tc rod back in the mid nineties, Pms 112s , I have read people saying they are classics. I still have a pair in the house but at the moment they are mothballed for the time being as I have just treated myself to a pair of the new sonik sk3s in 1.75 tc
The range is in 1.5/1.75 and 2lb and they come with a spare top section and three quivertips. They perform really well and I am delighted with them to say the least having taken some impressive catches of fish when using them this new season.
Check them out at Chapmans angling in Scunthorpe---- top class service.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
There was a lot of input to this rod from the FM community at the time. Ron posted his specification for comment and there was a fair bit of discussion on length, number of rings, ring type, etc, etc before the final design was finalised. I remember having a play with Ron's prototype on the banks of the Trent and being impressed.

I didn't buy one though. Why? Because the rod was spookily similar in action and feel to my Diawa WKS 311F, a rod which I'm still using today.

dezza

Reaction score
Daiwa did a 1.25 tc rod back in the mid nineties, Pms 112s ,

I too possessed 2 PMS 112 Daiwas. I caught lots of 7 pound and quite a few 8 pound tench from an Oxfordshire gravel pit using them. I also used them a lot for Severn chub and barbel, with a quiver tip screwed in at the top.

I always thought the the action was more suitable as a double handled sea trout fly rod. And of course I used one of them for lead lining for Draycote trout.

As regards the length of the FM Concept, as Sean says this came under intense debate and the 11 feet was a compromise, some, including myself preferring 10 to 10 1/2 feet, others 12 feet.

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

As regards the rings, I suggested SiC single leg to save weight. Graham Marsden wanted double leg as he is apt to break single legs, so double legs it became.

I own the very first prototype with single leg rings. I also own another later built model with double leg rings.

I prefer the single legged version.

dnahacker

Reaction score
So you basically came up with.... An Avon rod... What innovation... You really do have a will to be significant in the angling community don't you Ron...

flightliner

Reaction score
I too possessed 2 PMS 112 Daiwas. I caught lots of 7 pound and quite a few 8 pound tench from an Oxfordshire gravel pit using them. I also used them a lot for Severn chub and barbel, with a quiver tip screwed in at the top.

I used mine when Barbel fishing on the Trent when it was still considered a waste of time to fish it,(early/mid nineties- onwards) the matchmen had all but dissapeared and it wasnt thought to be worth bothering with-- but for a couple of friends it was like my own private river.
I caught a rather big Barbel using one of those rods that caused quite a stir:w, people I had never met or heard of were ringing me up wanting to know the how/what/ where etx etx etx:p:wh.
Great little rods, reverse over them with the car and they would still be ok to use!:)

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Well if Ron and others did indeed come up with an Avon rod they came up with, or revisited, a classic. I think the spirit of this post is that there are superb custom rods available to those who are interested. I fished next to Bob Woods (poster above) and drooled over his FM concepts, while using my own 11 ft Harrison custom, 1.5 tc single leg ringed beauty. Mine was built for me on a Torrix blank and while very close to the Concept, it's a bit more 'steely'. It cost around £200, not that much more than a shelf rod; i've no intention of buying another ever. So, keep the flame alive for real quality and choice if you want it - well done everyone.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Good post Paul, also some don't seem have the dna to put forward a constructive post

It's not a matter of constructive posting Jerry, everyone is entitled to fish with whatever they want, custom built or off the shelf (according to taste and depth of pocket). I checked out Fosters and Mark Tunley's website before buying a Drennan rod. It just seems to me that one particular member seems to take every oppurtunity to praise this individual rod and I feel it is an elitist attitude. Mentions of the FM Concept appear to come in cycles, is this the precursor to the next one?

Re: Rods which "Lock Up". 12/11/11
Re: Warning - Ron Thomson Barbel Rod 20/7/11
Re: Harrison Rods 11/7/11
Re: Welchy Weighs In - July: A Delicate Balancing Act 10/7/11
Re: Rod strengths 24/6/11

Re: WANTED: FM Concept Rod. 10/6/11
Who Designs a Rod? 23/5/10

What do you think

Ian

barbelboi

Reaction score
It's not a matter of constructive posting Jerry, everyone is entitled to fish with whatever they want, custom built or off the shelf (according to taste and depth of pocket). I checked out Fosters and Mark Tunley's website before buying a Drennan rod. It just seems to me that one particular member seems to take every oppurtunity to praise this individual rod and I feel it is an elitist attitude. Mentions of the FM Concept appear to come in cycles, is this the precursor to the next one?

Re: Rods which "Lock Up". 12/11/11
Re: Warning - Ron Thomson Barbel Rod 20/7/11
Re: Harrison Rods 11/7/11
Re: Welchy Weighs In - July: A Delicate Balancing Act 10/7/11
Re: Rod strengths 24/6/11

Re: WANTED: FM Concept Rod. 10/6/11
Who Designs a Rod? 23/5/10

What do you think

Ian

Hi Ian, the post was a comment to the nature of the post in relation to another a couple of posts back - nothing to do with which rods are best.
Jerry

bigchub

Reaction score
Great little rods, reverse over them with the car and they would still be ok to use!:)

I bet that's not a theory you're willing to test! :eek:

In response to the 'best rod' there is no such thing. What feels right for one person may feel totally wrong to the next, but there are some points concerning rods that many people can agree on. Some rods just 'feel right' when I'm using them, some totally unbalanced, some not through actioned enough, some to soft. I think that them most important consideration when designing a rod it what its actually going to be used for in the first place. Its all very well having the most expensive rod but if it doesn't do what its designed for and a far cheaper alternative does it better I know what I'd go for. For example the Wychwood Rogue barbel rod is a super rod and it out performs rods that cost far more.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightliner
Great little rods, reverse over them with the car and they would still be ok to use!

I bet that's not a theory you're willing to test!

In response to the 'best rod' there is no such thing. What feels right for one person may feel totally wrong to the next, but there are some points concerning rods that many people can agree on. Some rods just 'feel right' when I'm using them, some totally unbalanced, some not through actioned enough, some to soft. I think that them most important consideration when designing a rod it what its actually going to be used for in the first place. Its all very well having the most expensive rod but if it doesn't do what its designed for and a far cheaper alternative does it better I know what I'd go for. For example the Wychwood Rogue barbel rod is a super rod and it out performs rods that cost far more.

Bigchub. I agree with everything you say in your general statements regarding rods, I have both expensive and not so pricey examples, some of the cheaper jobs just fly under the radar and are just as good as more expensive models.
My comments about reversing a car over the Daiwa pms112s and them surviving the ordeal were a little tonque in cheek and simply my trying to imply how strong I thought they were.
I would however hazard a guess that other than the obvious damage to the runners/ line guides if the rod was on a perfectly flat surface and a family saloon was to be driven over it the damage would be surprisingly minimal-- Again you,re right saying its not a theory I,m willing to test if the rods used were mine but it would be interesting to find out nonetheless:).
Anyone got one we can use to find out?:wh