15ft Trotting rods

James Fletcher

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 15ft float rod for roach, dace, chub and grayling.
I've come across the Drennan acolytes or the Dr Redfin rods and I am not sure which one to go for.
I haven't heard a lot about the Redfin rod apart from it being heavy so if anyone has got one I would appreciate if you were to tell me
your thoughts about the rod.
Also I'am not sure wether I should go with the acolyte Ultra or Plus. Which one would be better as an allrounder?
I will mainly be fishing the upper Bristol Avon using Bolo, Avon, and stick floats.
Appreciate any advice
Cheers(y)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Is it reasonable to assume that approximately £200 is about the limit of what you want to spend?

I can't help with any assessment of the Dr Redfin rod. I've not even seen anything definite about which blank they've used. All I know is that the specs have the rod as being 240g. By comparison, the spec for the 15' Acolyte Ultra is 163g and the Plus 170g (My own rods are both 169g). The spec weight for the 15'6" Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River is 175g (my own 185g). To extend the comparisons further a 15' Maver Signature Pro Classic is 179g and a 15' Shimano Speedcast is 226g. I do have a heavier 15' rod at 281g. However, the 15' Shimano Aerocast Specimen Match is a far, far, more powerful rod than any other I have.

If I was wanting a single Acolyte to do a bit of every type of float work, I'd probably choose a Plus over the Ultra. I'd suggest to anyone that they would be better off thinking of the Plus as being a (modern) standard float rod and the Ultra as being a lighter (action) version.

I'd love to be able to suggest some shortlist alternatives, but I'm rather losing touch with what's still available new. I dare say that someone is very likely to suggest a Cadence rod, but I've not seen enough of them to make any comment either way. They are at least an option that's still current, available and not in excess of £200.

Keith M

Reaction score
If you decide to go with the Drennan Acolyte then as Sam has indicated the Acolyte Plus would be the better option.

Although I have managed to land a couple of decent sized fish on my Drennan Acolyte Ultra; it was more by accident and not really expected; and out of choice I would choose the ‘Acolyte Plus’ every time if I was likely to be hooking anything sizable.

Keith

Last edited:

James Fletcher

Reaction score
Is it reasonable to assume that approximately £200 is about the limit of what you want to spend?

I can't help with any assessment of the Dr Redfin rod. I've not even seen anything definite about which blank they've used. All I know is that the specs have the rod as being 240g. By comparison, the spec for the 15' Acolyte Ultra is 163g and the Plus 170g (My own rods are both 169g). The spec weight for the 15'6" Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River is 175g (my own 185g). To extend the comparisons further a 15' Maver Signature Pro Classic is 179g and a 15' Shimano Speedcast is 226g. I do have a heavier 15' rod at 281g. However, the 15' Shimano Aerocast Specimen Match is a far, far, more powerful rod than any other I have.

If I was wanting a single Acolyte to do a bit of every type of float work, I'd probably choose a Plus over the Ultra. I'd suggest to anyone that they would be better off thinking of the Plus as being a (modern) standard float rod and the Ultra as being a lighter (action) version.

I'd love to be able to suggest some shortlist alternatives, but I'm rather losing touch with what's still available new. I dare say that someone is very likely to suggest a Cadence rod, but I've not seen enough of them to make any comment either way. They are at least an option that's still current, available and not in excess of £200.
Thanks Sam for the info.
I'm a bit hesitant about getting the Plus because my thoughts is that it would not be sensitive enough for catching roach and dace.
That's why I'm not sure which one to go for.