15lb Diawa Sensor - Where are you?

Keith M

Reaction score
My go to line for Carp and Barbel has always been Gold Label Pro-Gold line because of its suppleness and excellent abrasion resistance and reliability and also its colour (when fishing straight through on very clear streams and rivers); but it has become extremely hard if not impossible to find now.

So although I’ve always disliked Diawa Sensor in the past because of its memory and its shiney brown surface I decided to bite the bullet and buy a bulk spool of of this 15lb Diawa Sensor which everyone seems to like these days; maybe it’s not as bad as I had previously thought I reasoned ?

However everywhere seems to be ‘out of stock’ of 15lb Diawa Sensor too so unless somebody can tell me where I can order a bulk spool of 15lb Diawa Sensor (I need to fill four Shimano baitrunner spools with it) I will be forced to buy a possible lesser line :oops: :)

Thats unless somebody can help me!

NB: It has to be 15lb test because of club rules

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
However everywhere seems to be ‘out of stock’ of 15lb Diawa Sensor too so unless somebody can tell me where I can order a bulk spool of 15lb Diawa Sensor (I need to fill four Shimano baitrunner spools with it) I will be forced to buy a lesser line :oops: :)

Help!

NB: It has to be 15lb test because of club rules

Keith
My carp fishing go to line for a numbet of years is Shimano Techium in 15llb B/S which is 0.38mm. little or no memory, low stretch index, great knot strength and very abrasion resistant.

Okay, it is more expensve than most other lines but in my opinion very well worth the extra money.

Keith M

Reaction score
Thanks Peter ?

Last night when I was Carp fishing at the estate lake with my son; (where there is a 15lb minimum line rating when after the Carp); I hooked something that took off away from me which felt really big, it felt like I’d hooked another Catfish; but the line I had been using (it was not Pro Gold :) ) was crap and just parted with no reason at all and I was left just watching a ‘so called’ 15lb line snaking unattached along the surface.

After this I ran my fingers along the line and there were crinkles all along it where it had been wound onto the spool, and not wound over tightly either. It was a line that a local Carp orientated tackleshop was selling back in the spring; the make of which I can’t remember.

My son who had the same line loaded onto his reels; also mentioned that his line felt the same as mine so we both decided to strip it off our reels immediately and replace it with decent line which we could trust before using our Carp rods again.

So if Sensor doesn’t turn out to be the answer I’m after I might have to give the Shimano Techium line that you mentioned a try, although I’m very slightly wary of its low stretch index as you don’t need to cast more than about 50 mtrs anywhere on this lake and I do like a little bit of stretch.

Whichever line I choose; It will have to be soon as my son is going night fishing for Carp either Thursday or Friday night (I’m not going because I’m in desperate need for a new bed chair :( plus I don’t like to sleep while I’m fishing and I’m getting a bit too old for staying awake all night long :))

Keith

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
My carp fishing go to line for a numbet of years is Shimano Techium in 15llb B/S which is 0.38mm. little or no memory, low stretch index, great knot strength and very abrasion resistant.

Okay, it is more expensve than most other lines but in my opinion very well worth the extra money.
I too tried Shimano Technium when it first came out for my carp fishing. I have never had a need to switch away from it. Recommend.

nottskev

Reaction score
ESP Syncro XT is a decent alternative too - 1 x 15lb currently in stock at Angling Direct...

I'll second that. I'm on my second bulk spool of 12lb. The first lasted three years for barbel fishing and I couldn't fault it.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'll second that. I'm on my second bulk spool of 12lb. The first lasted three years for barbel fishing and I couldn't fault it.
I agree....tis good stuff as is GR60. Suffix do good lines too.....I am a massive fan of Duraflex but I've never used 15lb test for anything. If I ever take up conger fishing I might. You could stop a destroyer on 15lb line.

Keith M

Reaction score
I agree that You could stop a destroyer on 15lb line however rules are rules, maybe it’s because of the large catfish that are also in there. Whatever it is I don’t want to put my free Life Membership at risk by not abiding to this rule do I :giggle:

Keith

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I wasn't critising Keith.....I just find it a bit OTT. There are places near me that insist on 15lb line too (one that insists on 20lb line) and that is because of big cats.I really dont see the need but it dont make no never mind as I dont fish any of these waters... but if I did rules is rules.
As for where all the 15lb Sensor is.....in the bin I hope. Horrible stuff in any bs imo though I know some people on here swear by it.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve just been to the tackleshop in WGC to see what they had; and I ended up buying a 1000 mtr spool of ESP Syncro XT which Dave and Kev recommended; so once its on our reels we are all set.

It’s just a shame that you no longer seem able to buy Terry Eustace Pro Gold anymore, which has been my favourite goto line for many years for my Barbel and Carp etc.

Thanks for your help everyone (y)

NB: It (15lb ESP Syncro XT) has a diameter of 0.37mm and an excellent abrasion resistance and a fast sink rate with an optimum stretch (whatever that means :) )

Keith

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Thanks Sam, but thankfully I won’t be needing to find any Diawa Sensor now :giggle:

Keith

Philip

Reaction score
In case the Syncro doesnt work out ..

I use 15lb Sensor a lot & usually stock up on it when I visit the Tackle box in Kent. They always (had) a good stock of Sensor in various breaking strains and they do mail order...

However one thing to mention - although I use Sensor extensively and see it as a good reliable line I only changed to it as I could not get my first choice which was 15lb Berkley Big Game anymore which was in the same price bracket (I wont pay more the £10 for a bulk spool out of principle).

The interesting thing was after the switch to Sensor for a few years I came across a spool of 15lb Big Game, purchased it and put it on one reel. There was a noticeable difference (at least for me) and it reminded me why I liked it. Given the choice I would switch all the reels back to 15lb Big Game again.

There are some other really good lines out there (Fox Soft steel I recall I liked alot) but I have not found anything yet in the same price bracket as Sensor/Big Game.

seth49

Reaction score
Have you ever tried maxima chameleon I used it a lot for barbel and salmon on the ribble, there were a lot of sharp rocks and it was very abrasion resistant, it’s a good no nonsense line which personally I preferred to sensor.

Also changed to it for carp on one lodge, which contained a lot of snags and rubble, and I was getting cut off and snagged in there, maxima pretty much stopped that.

Nowadays I use the Korda lines for carping, not as cheap but very good line, I like the way it’s sold in a tin which keeps the light of it, seems to prolong its life, I’ve some which is several years old, and is still fine, would put it on a reel tomorrow when my line needs changing.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
The ONLY thing Sensor has going for it is that its cheap and if that matters to you then fair enough and good for you. Personally I think there are loads of lines miles better than that stuff and if it means paying a bit more then,imo,its money well spent. I will not compromise on lines or hooks as to do so is to miss the point by some distance.

rayner

Reaction score
Obviously, I do not know the venues you chaps are fishing, nor do I know the sizes of fish you catch. 15lb lines are way out of my comfort zone.
I only ever used the types of high diameter lines mentioned when I could fish in the sea. I still use the same 6lb I have ever used.
I agree with Seth49 Maxima just can't be bettered and it's far from expensive. In lower diameter for me though.