16 year break!

lawrencer

Reaction score
Hi all

I haven't fished for 16 years and all my tackle has vanished. Wife just bought me John Wilson Avon road (with 3 quiver tips). I plan on joining my local club in the next few weeks. I would like to do some 'general' fishing, tench, chub or anything that comes along. Any advice on reels, line and end tackle would be great.

Many thanks

James Rich

Reaction score
Hi and welcome back to the wonderful world of fishing :)

balalur

Reaction score
Welcome to the FM forum!
Most reels nowadays are very good quality even the cheapest ones...same goes for line as long as it's sold by one of the "big name" tackle manufacturers.
Recommendations depend mostly on the budget and types of water you fish;as a general rule,the more you spend the smoother/nicer to use the reels are.
If you tell us your budget, the waters and the species you intend to fish you will get more answers.

chav professor

Reaction score
The John Wilson series of rods have always had a good reputation. Less refined than top end stuff - but it gets the job done, no frills and got a lot of pleasure from mine... I have my brothers original JW Avon/quiver - Its like an old friend and has caught plenty of good fish. You can even have fun stalking or float fishing for carp!

For £30-40 should get a new reel... try and get one with a few spare spools. A shallower one for light lines and a deep spool for 6lb + line.

Have a look on that well know on-line auction site. Might pick yourself a bargin. Best place to get a proper deal is the tackle shop. They usually get you started pretty reasonably and will throw in a few bits and pieces + advice if you are starting out. Its not only fish that get hooked in this game....

A good tackle shop is the anglers best friend!

As for line, use Daiwa Sensor untill you are certain which direction you are heading - cheap, quality bulk spools. Tench and chub fishing (6lb) - its a good line.

For float fishing, something like Drennan float fish is as good as any and doesn't bust the bank for a 100m spool.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Drennan red reels look ok but a low end shimano reel would be my way to go

Line wise I like Preston lines bit dearer but cast well

A few wangler floats, shot , hooks and disgorger and you are set

jimlad

Reaction score
The drennan series 7 are an excellent reel for the price...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tortoise100

Reaction score
Rods line reels ?
Nobody has mentioned hair rigs ,bolt rigs and alarms .
Bait advances are amazing .
Rods reels etc do not catch you fish getting your end tackle right ie bait and bait presentation does.

lawrencer

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice and views. I'll keep you updated how I get on. Local tackle shop has been very helpful. Once again thanks for pointing me in the right direction.