1lb 8oz 11ft Torrix

chevin4

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience of this rod and is it fairly versatile. I already have a pair of 12ft Chimera 1 which I have even used for gravel pit roach and perch and have a great playing action. Would the Torrix be similar as I am looking for a pair of 11ft rods.

Reaction score
Maybe,when this poxy virus has let us go you ought to ask if anyone has one for you to look at,I have a 1.75lb t.c. Torrix,its a great rod,with a nice action,obviously a bit too heavy for what you want,but you shouldn't really waste your dosh on what any of us advise,you need to pick one up and see if it has the feel you want,good luck in your search.

ian g

Reaction score
I have one , it's my main summer barbel rod . I also have a Chimera 2 1.75 which I haven't yet had a chance to use in anger. The Torrix is a lot more through action to the feel . I really enjoy using it and it's a good chub rod .From what you said about using 1.5 oz feeders and heli-rigs on the other post the rod would easily cope with that . I'm not sure if you wouldn't be over gunned , but it a lovely rod to use.

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
I have one , it's my main summer barbel rod . I also have a Chimera 2 1.75 which I haven't yet had a chance to use in anger. The Torrix is a lot more through action to the feel . I really enjoy using it and it's a good chub rod .From what you said about using 1.5 oz feeders and heli-rigs on the other post the rod would easily cope with that . I'm not sure if you wouldn't be over gunned , but it a lovely rod to use.
Thanks Ian whilst I tend to see one of these rods in the flesh and have a good waggle it is always good to get the opinion of end users who have experience of a rods capabilities. I read somewhere that the Torrix 12ft 1.75tc is sometimes used for long range roach fishing with small hooks as low as an 18. I guess the 1.5 11ft would be slightly softer in the tip than the 12ft 1.75 version

I dont think you will be disappointed with the Chimera 2 it seems a beast of a rod when picking one up I caught a 4lb perch on one whilst barbel fishing it certainly has a nice playing action and felt the lunges of the fish through the blank obviously great for barbel and big tench

ian g

Reaction score
As perch are my main target I'd be glad to catch a 4 lber on any rod:D. I've had decent barbel on the Torrix to low double figures as well as some reasonable chub . As you say getting to have a feel of one is the answer . I bought my from a seller on ebay marked as new/other and took a bit of a chance but I'm certainly very happy I did.

Reaction score
My torrix is eleven feet in length,ive had roach to 1.12 on it,but imo its too thick in the tip,the action isnt bad,but it would be a little more forgiving if slightly finer...

xenon

Reaction score
Have one of those and it's my favourite "Avon" type rod by miles. Fairly soft through-ish action but with plenty of grunt lower down should you need it. A million miles away from being a broom handle.

chevin4

Reaction score
Have one of those and it's my favourite "Avon" type rod by miles. Fairly soft through-ish action but with plenty of grunt lower down should you need it. A million miles away from being a broom handle.

Sounds good I believe the there is quite a difference between this and the 1.75 version particularly the 11ft

Reaction score
No,nor me,great at giving barbel grief though,lol...

The roach I've had were when after barbel.

chevin4

Reaction score
No,nor me,great at giving barbel grief though,lol...

The roach I've had were when after barbel.

Test curves are misleading two rods of the same mak and test curve can be totally different in 11ft when compared to the 12ft version . I have a pair of 2.25 Multi Carps they seem very overstated conversely some of the mass produced rods eg Korum seem very understated .A mate of mine was the 12ft Torix at 1.75 and seems quite forgiving so I would guess it could be used for extreme roach fishing ie heavy feeders and long range so I assume the 11ft 1.75 must be a different animal.

Reaction score
It may be,but each individuals perception of whats right for the job in hand is different,as for different lengths being different t.c.,I dont necessarily agree with that,but different actions,without doubt,Greys Prodigy rods were occasionally massively different,a former regular on here told me about it and actually showed me two supposed 1.75lb t.c. rods,one was actually like a broom handle,he sent it back and got another,it was close to the normal one,but certainly not the same.

chevin4

Reaction score
It may be,but each individuals perception of whats right for the job in hand is different,as for different lengths being different t.c.,I dont necessarily agree with that,but different actions,without doubt,Greys Prodigy rods were occasionally massively different,a former regular on here told me about it and actually showed me two supposed 1.75lb t.c. rods,one was actually like a broom handle,he sent it back and got another,it was close to the normal one,but certainly not the same.

I believe that a stated test curve for a carbon rod is not a precise measurement of a rods power. I remember years ago that a Barbel rod (I think it was built on a carbon coneflex blank) was totally different at 11ft and 12ft even the test curve was marked on each was the same. I agree that opinions differ from angler to angler as to what's right for the job. One of my friends only uses soft through actioned rods because of the lovely playing action but accepts he will put himself at a disadvantage at times.

nottskev

Reaction score
.A mate of mine was the 12ft Torix at 1.75 and seems quite forgiving so I would guess it could be used for extreme roach fishing ie heavy feeders and long range

I've had one of these for a few years, and it's a super rod when you've hooked a double figure barbel on a fairly short line - a forgiving top section blended into a powerful butt. I wouldn't have thought it would make a great casting rod and I'm trying to imagine a roach - even a big one - bringing out the virtues of it's playing action. But I'll admit I've never fished for roach in this style.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've had one of these for a few years, and it's a super rod when you've hooked a double figure barbel on a fairly short line - a forgiving top section blended into a powerful butt. I wouldn't have thought it would make a great casting rod and I'm trying to imagine a roach - even a big one - bringing out the virtues of it's playing action. But I'll admit I've never fished for roach in this style.

I have one too and I agree entirely. TBH if I was barbel fishing and a big old roach turned up I'd be chucking the Torrix up the bank double sharp and tackling up something a lot more suitable.

chevin4

Reaction score
I am in the market for a 11ft Avon rod I have heard good things about the 1. 5lb model. Will try it for Roach if it is unsuitable for pit or reservoir work will get something else

Reaction score
The Torrix is a lovely rod,being a good big fish rod,i'm sure you will be happy with it,even if it turns out not to be the perfect choice for casting 1.5oz feeders for roach...

chevin4

Reaction score
The Torrix is a lovely rod,being a good big fish rod,i'm sure you will be happy with it,even if it turns out not to be the perfect choice for casting 1.5oz feeders for roach...
I am considering the Drennan 11ft Duo 1.25 for Stillwater roach. I will probably get the Torrix later on when funds allow for small stream chub and barbel. These forums are great for getting users first hand experience of gear which helps making an informed purchase rather relying on the usual waggle in the tackle shop.

mikench

Reaction score
Does one really need a 1.25 tc , or indeed any rod bearing a tc, rod for roach? Is this were I'm going wrong.

I'm sure such a rod will be versatile and capable of dealing with small and large fish in equal measure but with a little finesse.