4000 size front drag feeder fishing reel

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Hello everyone i am looking for a 4000 reel and i am wondering what your suggestions and experiences are.
It's mainly for commercials but the odd trip to a larger still water and will just be used for feeder fishing.
I have done plenty of research but i am more confused than ever. :D Budget about £70
Thank you.

terry m

Reaction score
Shimano 4000 DL, amazing little reels and has the BR facility to boot.

Bought a pair for river piking about 4 years ago and they are still operating like new despite lots of use. Clutch is excellent.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the price.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I paid £30 for mine in a tackle shop flood sale, the box had got soaked through ?
Have a look at angling directs own Advanta brand .I bought the X5 50fd reel the other day, couldn't fault it , I bought it as a spare feeder reel and baggin waggler reel to use on another rod alongside my Preston Inception reel.
The price surprised me, £23.49.
Also look at the Kastking reels, an American brand made in china at same factories as major brands and share most of the same component parts .
Apart from that Daiwa ninja.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I think i have it down to 2 now?
The ninja lt which have been out a while now and get decent reviews and the Browning Ultimatch FSO FD Reel Front Drag which has not been out that long and not much info on the web as regards reviews.
That might all change again today though :D

Last edited:

Andy401C

Reaction score
Hello everyone i am looking for a 4000 reel and i am wondering what your suggestions and experiences are.
It's mainly for commercials but the odd trip to a larger still water and will just be used for feeder fishing.
I have done plenty of research but i am more confused than ever. :D Budget about £70
Thank you.
Hi - I retired a few months ago and for many years, used to fish for carp over in France a few times each year. I recently replaced my GTE-C reels for a couple of the new ‘mini‘ baitrunners from Shimano > DL 4000 FB. For me, these are ideal for a switch over to feeder and float and I’m a big fan of double handled reels anyway as setting the quiver tension is a snip. They’re very smooth reels, slick front clutch and of course a bait runner (this has been used ‘inadvertently’ when making a brew and a decent Tench took the bait when I wasn’t paying attention?) - they’d also pretty much handle anything I’m likely to be fishing for without buying more kit! Hope this helps!

Last edited: