5 hours , not a nibble . ?

mikench

Reaction score
We all struggle on lakes and ponds in winter be they commercials or clubwaters. This is particularly so if the weather temperatures are up and down . A settled warm spell or cold spell makes a difference.give your commercial a try you have nothing to lose. Do ask the guys fishing it or working there for guidance on waters, pegs and tactics. Don’t ask which is the best peg because the guy will be sitting in it usually.

Reaction score
Mate,commercials generally still produce plenty of fish in winter,but the same rules apply,less feed,the right choice of baits and often the most important,location,in cooler weather fish on stillwaters gather in pockets,it is a learning curve that has to be sorted out,whatever the venue,if you are where the fish aren't,you can't possibly get a bite..

john step

Reaction score
An y consolation? I fished my own club lake today. It is teeming with fish. End result .......4 tiny roach :cry:

Reaction score
That is fishing,go barbel fishing on the GtOuse,you would be really lucky to get 8 fish a season,nah,you would be my hero....

Eternaloptimist

Reaction score
Visited my local commercial yesterday and had a cracking day . Mostly small roach and gudgeon but still entertaining having blanked so often lately .
Size 22 hook with single maggot probably caught over 35 fish . I'm not very good at judging weights but the gudgeon were about the size of a fish finger ? and the roach ranged from 4 inches up to about the size of one of Donald Trumps hands .
In fact after feeling cocky with so many small fish I was wondering how I could have encouraged some bigger fish without stopping everything stone dead . Would bigger bait hooks etc have made a difference or is small fish the way to go in winter ?

Reaction score
Different baits sort out commercials with loads of small roach,pellet,corn etc,but you won't get loads of bites,back to square one...

rayner

Reaction score
Did you mention the depth you fished, if so I missed it?
I'm surprised no one has mentioned bread punch! an alternative would be pinkie. Scale everything down feed lightly lift and drop your rig. Fish like a moving bait even in still water.
I wouldn't take too many different baits I never use more than the two mentioned above when it's colder. Fish especially silver fish are still feeding very well locally according to Facebook.

Eternaloptimist

Reaction score
Did you mention the depth you fished, if so I missed it?
I'm surprised no one has mentioned bread punch! an alternative would be pinkie. Scale everything down feed lightly lift and drop your rig. Fish like a moving bait even in still water.
I wouldn't take too many different baits I never use more than the two mentioned above when it's colder. Fish especially silver fish are still feeding very well locally according to Facebook.
Does the bread punch need to be white ?

rayner

Reaction score
Plenty of depth to fish, it's an average depth I look for. The fishing in your local commercial seems like you can catch a few there. Why waste your time in a club pond, wait until the weather warms up for there.

Reaction score
A question for you Mr Optimist,what time did you finish your session,it would be a good idea that you stay till late in the day,often you can have no action then get several at the end,maybe a three hour session late on would get results...

Keith M

Reaction score
Does the bread punch need to be white ?

Even the birds turn their noses beaks up at pappy plain white bread in my garden :)

I (and the birds too) like bread with a bit of texture and I use Warburtons bread (both brown and white).
The fish seem to prefer it a lot more too :)

Keith

Last edited: