8 year old girl, big french river (carp), what basic equipment does she require?

glosgirl

Reaction score
We live on the River Lot in SW France. My daughter wants to start fishing. What basic equipment does she require? I don't want to spend much money just in case it's not for her. Is there a particular brand suitable for children you would recommend. I believe there's lots of carp. She's 1m 40cm high (yes, big for 8 her years!) and quite strong.

Thx

agamemnon

Reaction score
i would recomend an avon style rod 10 feet long should be ideal with around 1.5lbs test curve. get a cheap baitrunner reel (akuma 40 £20 from ebay) do 1 spool in around 8lbs line the other 4lbs line and then a cheap sellection of floats and cage feeders. some hooks from size 10 up to 16 and a landing net of around 26-30 inches and a disgorger and small pair of forceps.
this tackle should cover her for any type of fishing she wants to try and shouldnt cost the earth to buy

Rickrod

Reaction score
I agree with what agamemnon has wrote. I ve fished the river Lot and its not a easy water. Your best bet would be to use bread worm sweetcorn and fish for bites rather than go all out after the carp to keep the young girl interested. Have a look at a decathlon store they sell plenty of good cheap tackle and there might be a store near you. Good luck

Last edited:

noknot

Reaction score
So she is eight years old, never fished before, and you want her to catch "Big" Carp..........................:eek:mg:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hi Murv

Can't agree regarding the avon rod for a 20lb carp... in fact, I think an inexperienced angler has got a better chance of losing a 20lb carp on a 3lb tc rod through hook pull. The lighter rod will bend a whole lot more, which ultimately gives you a bigger margin for error in a last dash for freedom under the rod top.

I'm only stating a personal preference here - but I find the whole experience much more fun with a proper bend in the rod. Ideally, when I'm landing the fish it should be going through 90 degrees from handle to tip.

I've caught several in that kind of size bracket on a 1.25lb tc rod with no problems at all. In fact, I've often found that pound for pound, a lower double will often fight much harder than an upper double or twenty (which tend to plod around a bit)

What this rod won't do is fish long range - or fish heavy flood water. I'm in full agreement that you need to step up then.

murv

Reaction score
Fair comment, I had a low double lake fish on my Avon a little while back, and coupled with the 'pin it was a real challenge.

I've not had a river Carp yet though, interesting that an Avon should be up to the job, I will give it a try

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Done a bit of fishing for carp on the rivers in south west france, they are the hardest fighting freshwater fish i have ever hooked these river carp punish the toughest and strongest of tackle they are animals. Avon rods :eek:mg: you wouldnt have a chance on these rivers.

This is one of my favourite pics of the carp i caught from these rivers, just an average size fish but the fight was epic, just look at it, its more like a giant barbel than a carp!

109.jpg

Seriously if you would like to take up fishing aim your sights a little lower and build up to these river carp. There are plenty of small ponds and drainage reservoirs dotted around the french countryside that contain small carp which are great fun on float tackle and simple baits like bread and maize. have fun!