A basic,quality, tough UMBRELLA !!

mick b

Reaction score
I have only ever had two brollies in 60+ years of fishing.

My first was a 48" Efgeeco with a jointed wooden pole and the fabric was treated cotton which was waterproof but still allowed a certain amount of wind to blow thro.
Amazingly this brolly is still in service, as a sunshade on barbque days :D

My second brolly was (and still is), a 50" NuBrolly with a extending aluminium pole tilting at the top, the material is nylon reinforced plastic and totally wind and waterproof.
It was obtained following the sound advice of Alan Brown of Hitchen.
This brolly is still going strong, completely undamaged and rock solid if securely pegged off the centre ring, one straight into the wind and two offsetters.

Both these brollies were made in England which perhaps indicates why they are still undamaged and 100% serviceable.

As for brollies being turned inside-out, anyone opening one without first pegging down the centre securing line needs their head examining:eek:mg:

mick b

Reaction score
Bet you've renewed the ribs 16 times and the waterproofing material 23 times on each though................;)

Na you old B,
Only an annual spray on the Efgeeco, the NuBrolly just got a washdown if it hadnt been rained on :wh

As for ribs, both are completely original, but the lower half of the wooden pole has been replaced with a longer one.

Bet you still use a black one with a curly handle....:D

:w

The bad one

Reaction score
Re: the solid aluminium Gardner threaded brolly spike/pole. I must have had mine 25 years, and it's outlived many brollies without any mishap to itself. Worth it's weight in gold.
Dito and agree totally. If I ever lost it I'd give up fishing with a broken heart :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
S-Kippy....and this is the 50" jobie is it, or does it have a specific name??

Korum seems to get good overall comments, as long as one doesn't sit in the wind too often!!

Yep...bog standard Korum 50" job. I've used it in windy conditions and its fine provided you can get it set at the right angle and peg it down [pegs included] but because its a big un you can have "issues" if the wind gets under it. I'd imagine a "Mary Poppins" is quite on the cards.

Brollies are different things to different people. If I can get away with NOT taking it I will and I rarely use it for anything other than to stay dry... and it has to be proper rain for me to put it up. I have used it very,very occasionally as a windbreak but never as a sunshade.