A few basic wormery questions

Jim Murray

Reaction score
Never had one before so bear with me!

1. I have some of those plastic storage crates used for office removals, 70x40x30cm, approx 80 litres. Is this too big, if not then the lid is captive to the box and swings on/off. Very handy but not airtight, will this be ok, will they escape? It's an oblong shallow box, so to my mind this seems easier for worm collection than a deep bin.

2. Can I mix say lobs & redworms in the same box?

3. Should I collect the worms myself or buy them, which is best?

4. Should they be kept outside at all times or if frosty outside need to be in the shed?

5. I see some say to include drainage eg stones under the soil and some not, which is best?

6. I also see some say setup a worm nursery to grow them on; what is the issue with just letting them all grow in the same box and taking out the biggest ones for bait?

7. I did pass a manure heap yesterday and had a quick dig, no result. Would the dry weather put the worms down? I've also read that some heaps are better than others, is this true or should I try there again?

rayner

Reaction score
I don't keep Lobs just dendrobeana worms, red worms I keep in a smaller tub. I Bought my worms from the tackle shop, mine go in the shed when the temps drop, I have drainage holes bigger than most with a fibreglass weave stuck over the holes. Some folk collect the worm juice for the garden I don't.
Don't know about digging in shite, I feed my tub just with bananas and eggshells, the same goes in my red worm tub.
I just leave the worms to do what they do I don't do anything other than feeding them and take them out what I need.

ian g

Reaction score
I've not really bothered with wormeries to much as I have a good supply in my veg patch . Worms like to have a fairly constant temperature so the shed is a good idea . If you give them good conditions they won't want to escape . Lobworms are the trickiest to bred but will keep quite well in a large tub/ bucket in a shed . Feed them mash potato (no salt) and keep them in damp shredded newspaper or moss , one thing to remember with worms is get rid of any dead worms or you'll loose the lot . If you have a bit of space in the garden just put veg peeling in an area and cover with a hessian sack , if you keep the area damp , not soaking and put veg peeling down you'll get worms in all but the coldest conditions . That's what I do .

Reaction score
hi jim ; i keep lobs in the fridge in soil and some wood shavings, anything that will allow the worms to break up the soil ,even leaves.i keep them in margarine tubs , about 25 per tub , i have kept them for 4/6 months like this .check them regularly and they will be happy. brandlings,marsh worms i keep at outside temperature and feed them tea leaves,used ones,and again check them regularly, both lots must be kept damp , the brandings will breed , collect your own ,lobs on a wet night that’s not to hot , i have collected them in february they don’t like frost. brandlings can be found in marshy arias and very close to the river after flooding, they do go deep in the dry and warmer months, a few hours work will get you started and you will start to learn more about them ,ie on a river look for cattle drink holes in the bank as the fish also know that disturbed bank means food , it’s amazing the number of species of fish love lobs . they dont drown and have brilliant self healing abilities. if the worm i am using is ok at the end of the trip it goes back in the tub ,bit harsh but why waste it . hope this help , trevor