A few tench please!!!

M

michael rouse

Going to try for "A" tench on Saturday.
If you were to go tench fishing then which baits and additives would you definately feel confident on.Ill settle for any tench of any size!

M

mel Crighton

Go dig your garden, get them worms and go nothing else, had 17 in a 6 hour session to 31/2 lb fish the margins use chopped worm as loose feed, or you could try open end feeder with ground bait and worm on the hook in mid water.

best of luck.

J

jason fisher

worms, sweetcorn, maggots bread and casters.
tench take all of these baits.
the main problems with catching tench is finding them once you've worked out where they are you'll catch, but early and late tend to be best.
if you can find a deep channel running through weedbeds all the better in my opinion.
as far as groundbait goes either sweet or fishmeal.
good luck.

M

michael rouse

Bottom half of my garden is very water logged due to a river and the lob worms are often huge.What size should the chopped worms be?Also wondered how often much i should feed for them.eg little and often or pile a load of bait in and fish over the top of it?Ill get some casters and sweetcorn aswell.

Andrew Shields

Reaction score
Try this one Michael,
cram as many white maggots onto a size 14 hook as you can. The thing looks like a madussas head but I've used this to pull tench from hard fished waters where they can tend to be a bit shy.

B

Budgie Burgess

If you want to catch a Tench Michael then dont worry about baits etc concentrate on location.The first and most important part of this is to find a water where tench are prolific! sounds daft but it is as simple as that!

M

michael rouse

Its a prolific tench water.Id probably have caught one if hadnt seen a few carp in a shallow bay.I had to try for them.

D

Deck Monkey

Luncheon meat is my surefire bait. Occasionally I dip it in vanilla or (and bear with me on this one) mint flavouring. I have no idea why mint works, but it does. Sweetcorn is also good - something red like strawberry Pescavit although any sweet flavour is good such as maple syrup.

If you have lilly pads where you're fishing I find the edge of the pads is always good early morning or fishing bars off islands tends to be good too.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Red Maggots, Castors and Hemp put a bed down to start then trickle it in every cast but as others have said Location Location Location. Before starting look for the fizzing. Best time will be first light or as the sun drops it varies on diffrent waters but its usually one or the other very rarely both.