A French Fishing Match

Silure

Reaction score
Matches in France are very differant to those in the UK. We have to have a 2 hour break at midday for our four course meal and wine. Photos are of a match on my lake. the marquees are supplied by the commune free of charge along with the benches. Everyone gets a prize even if you dry netted. We hold three of these matches on the lake every year.
30652887_10156152651799029_7591403370544365568_o.jpg
35160577_10156288493954029_2794466461928652800_o.jpg
30688533_10156152651994029_6941654284144476160_o.jpg
35682312_10156302843439029_6338902310445383680_o.jpg
69828286_10157311193339029_5946964094891327488_o.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
One of my clubs have a match once a year where there’s a one hour break at lunchtime. Food laid on at the club’s expense.
On most occasions the food was consumed within 10 minutes with most participants complaining about having to wait another 50 minutes before resuming fishing. In almost every case the match was restarted after just 20 minutes break...

Silure

Reaction score
One of my clubs have a match once a year where there’s a one hour break at lunchtime. Food laid on at the club’s expense.
On most occasions the food was consumed within 10 minutes with most participants complaining about having to wait another 50 minutes before resuming fishing. In almost every case the match was restarted after just 20 minutes break...
I think that is the good differance between the English and French. We enjoy eating and at midday a 4 course meal is a must aling with a few glasses of wine

mikench

Reaction score
I think that is the good differance between the English and French. We enjoy eating and at midday a 4 course meal is a must aling with a few glasses of wine
Now I could be tempted by that style of match fishing and with the food, drink and joie de vivre , winning would not matter; j'en ai marre.

Molehill

Reaction score
I love that, if we had stayed in the EU a little longer it may have become compulsory over here - I would be all for it, most civilized.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Got to wonder if these people drive home after all that booze. Hard to imagine fitting all that match gear on a pushbike, even if they do remove the onions first.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As someone who has fished a fair number of matches in France I'd have to say that is not "normal" as typically there is no break in the match for lunch or anything else . . . .

It is true though that the French love their long lunches, something I never got used to in the 7 years I spent working and living there.

It was quite usual to see bottles of wine on the tables in the office restaurant at lunchtime.

Sadly as the client (Exxon-Mobil) we were not allowed to partake - "no drugs or alcohol allowed on business premises" and this led to a lengthy exchange following a visit of one of our American VP's.

After lunch he instructed me to write to the contractor reminding them of the contract clause regarding no alcohol which I duly did.

The contractor replied by saying, "this is France if we took the wine away there would be a strike"

A lengthy swap of letters followed without any solution over the next few months.

One afternoon I was called to the French MD's office where they had 3 of their corporate lawyers to be told that "we have found a solution which we hope is satisfactory to all Parties"

The contract clause read, "no drugs or alcohol are allowed on the Contractor's business premises" . . . . so they had altered their Articles of Incorporation to redefine only the ground floor to the 36th floor as "business premises" with the two basement levels (where the restaurants were) redefined as . . . "non-business premises" . . . .

The Exxon VP was not happy abut it but at least we avoided a full on strike and a lot of other HR problems for the French.

I do so love the French . . . .

Silure

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a work party round at our lake. Come midday the French workers down tools to get ready for lunch which I was provding by way of a BBQ. The few English helping who were new to the club wondered what was going on. They were most supprised and drank more beer than any of the French. The meal was only 2 courses, with a starter of Andorran spiced sausage and cheese nibbles followed by homemade beef burgers in burger buns followed by homemade pork sausages in baguettes. Rose and red wines followed by coffee. 2 hours later back to work but only for an hour.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I remember going to order some concrete for a house I was doing up there and had to wait for nearly two hours while they had their lunch, lesson learned. Fair enough though to them, seemed a lot more civilized than our rushed grab a sandwich affairs.
One of the best meals I had was we came across this sort of old hut come air raid shelter just off the road in the middle of the country side, all the farm workers ate there, they kept the best food and wine for themselves, the food was divine, hams, meats, vegetables, pastries and cheeses of every description and a glass of the best wine, for a fiver you could fill up; proper rustic fare but the best.
By contrast we used to eat in Cherbourg, a full monty à la carte affair. I wouldn't have given tuppence for; the food was rubbish, plate half empty and it we paid a fortune for it.

Last edited:

Silure

Reaction score
I remember going to order some concrete for a house I was doing up there and had to wait for nearly two hours while they had their lunch, lesson learned. Fair enough though to them, seemed a lot more civilized than our rushed grab a sandwich affairs.
One of the best meals I had was we came across this sort of old hut come air raid shelter just off the road in the middle of the country side, all the farm workers ate there, they kept the best food and wine for themselves, the food was divine, hams, meats, vegetables, pastries and cheeses of every description and a glass of the best wine, for a fiver you could fill up; proper rustic fare but the best.
By contrast we used to eat in Cherbourg, a full monty à la carte affair. I wouldn't have given tuppence for; the food was rubbish, plate half empty and it we paid a fortune for it.
Best places to eat on the road in France are the routiers, the lorry drivers restaurants. See loads of lorries at midday parked up and find out where they are eating. they are never wrong.

mikench

Reaction score
Agreed. I cannot recall a bad meal in France. Whilst I have eaten at high end places I much prefer the simple and unproposing restaurants which abound in our area usually either North African or typically parochial french. The plat du jour is always good value.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. I cannot recall a bad meal in France. Whilst I have eaten at high end places I much prefer the simple and unproposing restaurants which abound in our area usually either North African or typically parochial french. The plat du jour is always good value.

Totally agree . . . the plat du jour is usually a very local dish and using seasonal produce from the local areas.

Silure

Reaction score
Got to wonder if these people drive home after all that booze. Hard to imagine fitting all that match gear on a pushbike, even if they do remove the onions first.
The main drinkers are all local farmers having a break. Wives are normally on hand to ferry the men home. In this picture they insisted sitting together so as to be the beer tent. They hardly catch anything but they are great fun and its paying them back for all the help they give us. The man standing is a local polititian, also my doctor who attends every match just to watch and also bring bags of caps and t-shirts and other giveaways that by local government.
DSCF3796.JPG

Philip

Reaction score
a small French club I am a member of does a couple of "matches" each year. Basically 3 hours fishing either side of a big lunch and a game of boules for the anglers and their familes followed by a prize giving ceremoney over some more food and drinks.

I am literally the only person who joins it for the fishing rather than the social aspect !

Last edited: