A French Fishing Match

Silure

Reaction score
a small French club I am a member of does a couple of "matches" each year. Basically 3 hours fishing either side of a big lunch and a game of boules for the anglers and their familes followed by a prize giving ceremoney over some more food and drinks.

I am literally the only person who joins it for the fishing rather than the social aspect !
There are some serious French fishermen who take part. Some travel over 50 kilometres. The nice thing is that all have become very good friends and both my wife and I are invited to all sorts of social gatherings. All because we have taken the time to intergrate into the French way of life. Home is where the heart is and having lived here for 26 years we are home.

Philip

Reaction score
There are some serious French fishermen who take part. Some travel over 50 kilometres. The nice thing is that all have become very good friends and both my wife and I are invited to all sorts of social gatherings. All because we have taken the time to intergrate into the French way of life. Home is where the heart is and having lived here for 26 years we are home.

I would agree, although having been there for over 20 years myself integration is not really the issue in my case. The fact is I go fishing primarily to catch fish, not to socialize, although it has been known.

Whilst I don’t for one second expect anyone in the club or elsewhere to share that outlook I suspect there is a direct correlation between it and the fact most of the club members sit there biteless between games of boules complaining about the fishing whilst I have caught literally everything in the lake Including what I am told is their apparently “uncatchable” koi. ? ...

KC.jpg

Last edited:

Silure

Reaction score
Several of the match anglers have now decided to join the club and fish the water whenever they can just to see how to fish it. There are several hot spots that can be difficult as they have trees either side, but, some now have managed to control the fish from swimming into cover.