A hidden Gem near Lancashire/Merseyside Border

terrierist

Reaction score
Hi all, I fished a cracking venue yesterday, it's not that well known and I'm a little loathed to open it up but here goes!
I’m not a fan of commercial fisheries, far from it. To be honest they leave me cold as they can, and do attract “anglers” who really don’t care about the fish, all they want to do is sit, get drunk/stoned and shout to their mate across the water. If that’s their bag, fine, but it is one of the reasons I stay away from the more popular and easy to get to places.

I was in my local tackle shop earlier this weekend, Neptune Angling of Maghull https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neptune-Angling/227877503993460?fref=ts and there was a flier on the desk showing a water local to me I hadn’t heard of. Speaking with Neptune’s unbelievably helpful owner (John) made me want to talk to the bailiff and owner of this small water, Brookfield Fisheries in Aughton.

I spoke with Mike from Brookfield Fisheries whilst stood there and immediately booked myself on a peg he reccomended. This was refreshing, booking on a peg? Being sussed out before you fish a place? Just what I wanted to hear! Aughton is no more than ten minutes drive from my home, I had intended to be there at first light, but a night of wine, beer and food with my In-laws put paid to that, I woke brookfieldas I normally do with the light breaking through our bedroom curtains and decided that a few hours sleep would be wise as the after effects of the alcohol were still with me. After a full English with my missus, I ventured out about 11 AM, and was in Aughton by quarter past. Aughton is on the Merseyside/Lancashire Border, and is a very affluent village with several nice restaurants and Gastro Pubs, it’s one of those places where footballers retire to and the residents polish the gravel on their drives! Brookfield Fisheries was originally known as “Swifts Pond” and isn’t easy to find. On Brookfield Lane, the water isn’t signposted, it doesn’t advertise it’s presence. Following the lane as it winds its way past Nells Lane and a large property is on your right, Directly opposite this is a locked gate. This is the path that leads you to Brookfield. It’s a good walk when loaded up with gear, and there is a dyke to cross as well so be warned! The water is small, but very well presented, the pegs sturdy and access steps excellent. Due to the access though, I am sorry to say that this water is not suitable for disabled anglers. Brookfield has six pegs, they are well spaced and allow you a generous portion of the pond the high banks offer some protection from the wind, and even in this isolated location, you can sometimes hear the distant A59, there is also the main Liverpool to Preston train line that runs right by the water, this is no problem as the trains are not that frequent for peace lovers like myself!

I was allocated peg 3, which gives good access to around 8 feet depth of water, a man made floating Island, and some tricky margin fishing. Other pegs have better casting for waggler anglers, this peg is definitely a good pole peg, butIMG_0641[1] if you are prepared to put in the effort and improve your skills, this peg is totally suitable for traditional styles. Brookfield has several species available, it is stocked well, but with the welfare and care of the fish at mind as well. Carp, Common and Mirror, Crucian, Tench, Perch, Bream, Rudd and Roach are stocked. There are also the rare Ruffe and an odd Barbel or two that were in the water when it was taken over by Mike. This water isn’t busy, far from it, and Mike is of two minds just how busy he wants it to be. He vets people carefully before booking them, he wants to keep the water clean and litter free.

I started off by plumbing depth and found that the marginal shelf drops away very quickly to the ponds depth of around eight feet, there were signs of activity as fish topped and bubbled away, the growth of this years aqua culture has started and Flag Iris and Phragmites were starting to shoot and sprout. I opted for a puddler float to start with, 4 lb mainline straight through to a size 16 Guru pellet waggler with Maggot as my starter for ten. I started at 2″ over depth and wanted to see if I could connect with any lurking Tench on the prowl, I was baiting my spot with a few coarse pellets and corn to provide the free offerings. I started to get small line bites and it wasn’t long before I connected with a small Roach and then a Rudd, soon followed by a nice Bream of around 2 pounds who put up a decent fight for a “snotty”. I fished on and was starting to be battered by silvers, so I stepped up the hook to a 14 and opted for larger baits such as Corn and Peperami. I was Joined by Mike who told me how he came about the water, what his plans were and how he wanted to keep this a well stocked, but well run water. He is adamant that he will not have less considerate anglers on here, and wants to keep the water pristine and free from litter. He advised me of the excellent maRuffe!rginal fishing the water provides, and as we were talking I landed the first Ruffe I had seen in over 15 years, a very welcome addition to the bag. Mike left and as the afternoon drew on I shallowed up and re-plumbed my depth for the margins. I had bee steadily feeding a spot and a switch to a heavier crystal waggler coupled with size 12 hook and a bunch of four maggots proved effective. A lovely Mirror Carp of a couple of pounds found its way into the landing net. This was soon followed by a better Mirror of just 5lbs and the swim was full of fizzing and line bites, it seemed that Mikes advice was on the nose, I had found the place the fish were feeding and was having excellent sport. Another angler on peg one was having a great day with some lovely Carp and a beautiful Crucian of around 1 1/2 lbs. Before I go any further, can I stress that this isn’t one for the Bivvy boys, as there is no overnight fishing, the pegs are not Bivvy size and the Carp are not that large to attract the dedicated Carp lads, this is a pleasure fishery not a specimen water.

As the day wore on I caught Carp after Carp, very spirited for their size and fantastic fun, then came my first Tench, not a large fish by anyone’s standards, but a welcome 2lb female who fought above her weight. The small changes seemed to reap rewards, a change from maggot to corn and then to Pepperami all brought instant results, I lost a couple of good fish through my own fault, them charging away and a little too much drag saw me pull a couple of hooks. I ended the day with Carp, of around 2 lb each, their colouring and scale patterns were stunning though. I’ve searched for a good while to find a local water that is well kept, well stocked and the owner is passionate about. I want to fish in space and not have to put up with shouting, drunken behaviour and inconsiderate anglers.

This water ticks all my boxes, I don’t want it to become busy, but the walk to it and strict rules applied will deter the park and plonk anglers. I hope that it stays this way, but it does give Mike the return on his investment as he has something rare in the Angling world here, a great fishery, well presented but free of idiots.

Mike can be contatced on 07880 920227 for details of this cracking little fishery. I have no financial or other interest in this Fishery.

Attachments

• IMG_0641[1].jpg
    IMG_0641[1].jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,519
Last edited:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have fished a lot of the commercials in and around Merseyside, Cheshire and the Wirral and have yet to see noisy drunks or pot-heads who spoil the fishing. Maybe I am just lucky? ;)

Thanks for your well-written report, it sounds like a nice water. :thumbs:

For what it's worth I can't see your pictures on my iPad. :confused:

Edit: or on my laptop.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to say this but you should not really be giving out details of private waters on a public forum, there might be undesirable types looking in!

I am not trying to spoil your thread mate but just be carefull what you advertise.

Regards.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to say this but you should not really be giving out details of private waters on a public forum, there might be undesirable types looking in!

I am not trying to spoil your thread mate but just be carefull what you advertise.

Regards.

How is it a "private water" if there was a flyer for it in his local tackle shop FFS?

terrierist

Reaction score
Jack..

Apologies. I will edit the post with pictures soon, just seen this and hadn't ticked "notifications".

This isn't a private water, it is a small, well run commercial.

laguna

Reaction score
Nice fishery indeed terrierist, I see your terrier sat there picking up a few good tips ;)

Also nice that the owner allows you to take the dog, thats sometimes the only company we need on days like that - your best friend sat there next to you!

Good report :w

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rang the owner Mike, and am going tomorrow. Fishing the pole for the first visit. :)

terrierist

Reaction score
If you're on peg 3 Jack, fish to the right, in the margins, just behind a clump of grass. Alternatively, back to peg 2 on your left, again in the margins. peg 4, 5 and 6 all follow same suit, excellent margin pegs. 1 is the shallowest of all, fish this up to the phragmites reeds or just out in front. May see you tomorrow, as I am mooching about.

tight lines

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Rang the owner Mike, and am going tomorrow. Fishing the pole for the first visit. :)

Looking forward to hearing how you get on (although the weather looks naff :() - I went about a month back & had a lovely day albeit not non-stop. A couple of guys I spoke to who fish there quite often did say that it had been quiet that day but I'll certainly be going again - well-managed, lovely setting & suitably quiet :)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Weather was naff, but it is a lovely little fishery. Chose to fish on Peg 1 and it was very quiet for the first couple of hours or so and it was hammering down with rain. Fed with micros and red maggots, and pole fished a couple of open-water swims to no effect. Switched to a deepish margin swim (3ft 6in) right by a big reed-bed and started getting bites on red maggot.

Finished off around 5pm with 11 fish (4 rudd, 4 roach, 3 mirror carp to 5lb)and a lot more small ones bumped off and one carp that ripped me into the reedbed and broke me off despite the best efforts of my Maver Medusa and grey Hydro - note to self: rig a top kit with black Hydro for next time

This isn't a bagging-up water! It is a mature, natural country pond that has a population of resident fish that has been augmented with stocked fish. There will be a lot more natural food present than in your average commercial, hence the lack of fish-a-chuck action.

They weren't bothered about paste, pellets, prawn or corn but switched on well to red maggot.

The owner Mike is a really nice guy and you do need to ring him first to arrange a visit as there are only 6 platforms and no fishing off the banks in-between pegs (virtually impossible anyway as you will see if you pay a visit)

Would have liked to get amongst the resident crucians, but I'll save that for next week as I will definitely be going back. It took me back to the ponds and pits of my youth. :D

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Weather was naff, but it is a lovely little fishery. Chose to fish on Peg 1 and it was very quiet for the first couple of hours or so and it was hammering down with rain. Fed with micros and red maggots, and pole fished a couple of open-water swims to no effect. Switched to a deepish margin swim (3ft 6in) right by a big reed-bed and started getting bites on red maggot.

Finished off around 5pm with 11 fish (4 rudd, 4 roach, 3 mirror carp to 5lb)and a lot more small ones bumped off and one carp that ripped me into the reedbed and broke me off despite the best efforts of my Maver Medusa and grey Hydro - note to self: rig a top kit with black Hydro for next time

This isn't a bagging-up water! It is a mature, natural country pond that has a population of resident fish that has been augmented with stocked fish. There will be a lot more natural food present than in your average commercial, hence the lack of fish-a-chuck action.

They weren't bothered about paste, pellets, prawn or corn but switched on well to red maggot.

The owner Mike is a really nice guy and you do need to ring him first to arrange a visit as there are only 6 platforms and no fishing off the banks in-between pegs (virtually impossible anyway as you will see if you pay a visit)

Would have liked to get amongst the resident crucians, but I'll save that for next week as I will definitely be going back. It took me back to the ponds and pits of my youth. :D

It sounds a nice little place Paul, I think we are sometimes spoiled a little these days with "fish-a-chuck" venues and I can quite see why it would take you back to your youth. I would have been ahppy with a few roach and maybe the odd big bream, a nice tench very much more natural way of fishing and expectation back in the day.

It could be the weather has also something to do with fact you caught few fish, I know a few well stocked match lakes that produce fewer fish when its raining or a sudden drop in pressure, wind direction all factors that affect venues that see weighins of 100lb+ normally.

If you have any SAC juice left, maybe you could do a lot worse than spend a little time targeting the resident cruicians, as i said before on the Laguna bait thread; my mate used SAC soaked plain skretting pellets (of all things) and caught 30 crucians from a local venue a couple of weeks ago... just a thought?

Nice report :w

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It sounds a nice little place Paul, I think we are sometimes spoiled a little these days with "fish-a-chuck" venues and I can quite see why it would take you back to your youth. I would have been ahppy with a few roach and maybe the odd big bream, a nice tench very much more natural way of fishing and expectation back in the day.

It could be the weather has also something to do with fact you caught few fish, I know a few well stocked match lakes that produce fewer fish when its raining or a sudden drop in pressure, wind direction all factors that affect venues that see weighins of 100lb+ normally.

If you have any SAC juice left, maybe you could do a lot worse than spend a little time targeting the resident cruicians, as i said before on the Laguna bait thread; my mate used SAC soaked plain skretting pellets (of all things) and caught 30 crucians from a local venue a couple of weeks ago... just a thought?

Nice report :w

My 6mm expanders had been pumped with SAC Krill and the corn was SAC Pineapple Chris, so I think we'd better blame atmospheric conditions! Or use the time-honoured fisherman's phrase "They just weren't 'avin it!"

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just a few photos from yesterday (after the rain stopped)

The offending reedbed that now contains my Drennan Tuff-Eye float and rig!

Lovely shadows and reflections for fishing the float. My yellow pole-float can clearly be seen (it never went under in that swim)

The deeper end of the pond, with small floating island, which I will try next time.

One of the carp that didn't get into the reeds - great scrap!

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Nice pics Paul and not a single ripple on the surface - calm as hell (after the rain), I'm not sure why but clicking on these forum pics to enlarge seems to only reduce them in size for me?

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice pics Paul and not a single ripple on the surface - calm as hell (after the rain), I'm not sure why but clicking on these forum pics to enlarge seems to only reduce them in size for me?

Samsung phone pix Chris (left my camera in the car). I know about the reducing too. Best to look at them on a tablet and "finger expand" them.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Went again today with some different baits and had a nice session between 10:30 and 4:30. Fished the pole on 2 lines, firstly in the margins in a deepish swim 4'6". Fed with dampened micros, meat and red maggot and caught on meat soaked in Laguna SAC Krill and on red maggot. Had two lovely crucians and some very feisty mirrors of around 3lb apiece.

Second line was 8m and close to the floating island in 8ft of water. Fed with micros and maggot again, via pole cup. Had some larger carp and a couple of bream over 2lbs from the swim, mainly on red maggot.

Also had some nice golden Rudd on the drop, a few roach and, for the first time in donkey's years, a ruffe!

Finished the session with 19 fish, (6 species) and loads of missed bites and one break-off.

Going again next week and taking a mate and I am seriously thinking of only taking red maggot as it is that good a bait on this water!

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just on the off-chance that anyone has lost any pole sections in this fishery (Brookfield, near Aughton, Merseyside), the owner, Mike has had a diver in to retrieve lost pole sections (one of them mine!) and now has 3 or 4 that he can't match to owners and has asked me to put out a message on the forum in the remote possibility that someone may re-unite a pole section with an owner.

Ring Mike on 07880920227 if one is yours or you have any info that may help.

fishermantom

Reaction score
this is some of the many fish that can caught at brookfield fishery

Attachments

• GEDC0020.jpg
    GEDC0020.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 271
  • GEDC0021.jpg
    GEDC0021.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 299
  • GEDC0022.jpg
    GEDC0022.jpg