A lesson learnt

captain carrott

Reaction score
peter the thread tittle and the closing phrase i know what i'll be doing in future.

appeared to be claiming a discovery, are you suggesting we do not find out if anything has been discovered, by asking what someone did. in order to convince them of what they should be doing in the future.

it could actually have been something usefull to everyone. and rog has formed an opinion from it which he is goign to rely on infuture based on a flawed assesment of what he was trying to find out. thus limiting himself in future based on an absence of actual evidence.

"and on that particular day, on that particular river with those particular rigs that he had better success with the rod in one inclination over another."

this is exactly what it does not show at all, it does however show that he may have found a hotspot. there was nothing done to assess the effect of rod tip direction. had he at some point when beginning to catch on one of the rods changed the rods orientation and observed a change in bites, particularly if he could then switch it back and start to get bites again.

or changed the orientation of the rod which he wasn't getting bites on to pointing down wards and subsequently got bites then rod orientation effects would have been investigated.

as it is at best he's left himself living under a false assumption. one which may in some conditions cost him fish if he subsequently relies on it..

one thing that would be really usefull would be for him to fish the same identical set up next time he goes but change which rod he fishes tip up, if the bites then change from one rod to the other then he might be on to something.

no use me trying it i'm having enough trouble trying to work out what works where i'm fishing as it goes, never mind sticking in yet another variable.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Moderator hat: Off, personal opinion only

What a good job it is that fishing is all about individual enjoyment, individual discovery and sharing things with others, or not as the case may be.

I have said my piece and read both yours and Paul's; but given that this was nothing more than Rog's opinion on that particular day, then I really don't need to risk the harmony of the forum by making further comment.

I understand both your and Paul's comments (I may be a B grad, but I ain't stupid) but I do not agree that the original intention was to offer a definitive solution, as in one case fits all, but simply to illustrate what happened on one day on a lovely river.

So, I suggest that we agree to disagree and allow peace to reign once more.

Tight lines . . . . . . . . .

Moderator hat; back on

captain carrott

Reaction score
don't get me wrong peter i'm all for people investigating things such as this, if they've got the inclination to do it.

what's more if they come up with something that might hold water i'm entirely happy to go out and reproduce it on my waters to try and develop an understanding further.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
T'was not my intention to offend anyone. I apologise if I did.

I was just agreeing that further experimentation would be appropriate in order to draw a more 'scientific' conclusion, which might be prudent before deciding to fish in a single, specific way from that point onwards.

My other comments about the angle of the line near the lead or feeder are related but were not specifically aimed at Rog or his original statement.

I think that the angle of line leaving the river bed would be marginally different at best, where the lead or feeder is sitting mid river or near the far bank. Therefore, I would position my rod tip according to flow conditions and bite indication rather than thinking about the underwater line.

When fishing the near margin I always fish downstream anyhow, avoiding the need for any bow in line etc...

Having not seen them, I wonder if the underwater Korda and recent Barbel videos have explored this topic?

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Sorry I've not been back on to answer your queries sooner but I had more interesting threads to follow in the pub.

Firstly no I did not swap positions of the rods. However the baits were purposely put in as close proximity to each other as I felt I could get away with. The river was crystal clear and I was seeing fish all day, and they were swimming all around both baits.

The one theory I surmised was that as I had left a small bow on both lines, the reel line coming from the weight (leaving the weight in a downstream direction) was probably a lot lower in the water on the tip down rod than the higher positioned rod.

One point to clear up, I did not intend this to be an experiment, it was as Peter said my observations on the day which I wished to share.

Neil, you're right about those bites and the noise of the pin, however if I remember that one in your avatar it would have to have been very loud to wake you up.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
.........Neil, you're right about those bites and the noise of the pin, however if I remember that one in your avatar it would have to have been very loud to wake you up.

Yeah! very funny!

I tell you, I had a sixth sense and opened my eyes (just resting, not kipping) just as the tip was heading south! "Tip up" on that day as well - I've since fished that swim from the "proper bank", "tip down" on the centrepin, blanked in style several times.

:D

Must do it again this Winter but wait for the official starter gun........
:wh