A Million Voices for Angling

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
If fishing is dying, it will be because self-centred old farts like me and possibly a large number of other FMers are letting it die.

The idea of catching a fish is as fascinating to small boys as it always was. But unfortunately, inspirational teachers like Peter Rolfe and my old friend Brian Crawford, who ran the school fishing clubs, are a thing of the past.

Recruitment, such as it is, is coming from the occasional dad taking his lad fishing. And that's it. Here is Peterborough we have one of the biggest tackle shops in the country. Guess how many junior angling days they organise?

I have no idea whether Peterborough DAA organises junior angling days, but if I don't know about them, I doubt anyone else does.

The angling press is no place to publicise opportunities for beginners to learn; if they're shelling out £2 on angling papers, they're already fishing. Angling, as Peter said, has to compete with everything from XBox to twerking, but if it loses that battle, it's not because it doesn't interest youngsters. It is because it is completely rubbish at organising and marketing itself.

And I and all my fellow anglers who had the benefit of a teacher or family friend who once engaged us in fishing should hang our heads in shame if we have not passed on this gift, or at least made the attempt.

I don't exempt myself from this accusation at all. I just wonder whether, if I did something about it, I'd be there on my own. I suspect so. We have all become self-regarding fishing snobs.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
If fishing is dying, it will be because self-centred old farts like me and possibly a large number of other FMers are letting it die.

The idea of catching a fish is as fascinating to small boys as it always was. But unfortunately, inspirational teachers like Peter Rolfe and my old friend Brian Crawford, who ran the school fishing clubs, are a thing of the past.

Recruitment, such as it is, is coming from the occasional dad taking his lad fishing. And that's it. Here is Peterborough we have one of the biggest tackle shops in the country. Guess how many junior angling days they organise?

I have no idea whether Peterborough DAA organises junior angling days, but if I don't know about them, I doubt anyone else does.

The angling press is no place to publicise opportunities for beginners to learn; if they're shelling out £2 on angling papers, they're already fishing. Angling, as Peter said, has to compete with everything from XBox to twerking, but if it loses that battle, it's not because it doesn't interest youngsters. It is because it is completely rubbish at organising and marketing itself.

And I and all my fellow anglers who had the benefit of a teacher or family friend who once engaged us in fishing should hang our heads in shame if we have not passed on this gift, or at least made the attempt.

I don't exempt myself from this accusation at all. I just wonder whether, if I did something about it, I'd be there on my own. I suspect so. We have all become self-regarding fishing snobs.

Previously though no such effort was needed , times change does the average angler really care in angling declines ? Not sure they do , why should they ?

B

binka

I'm slightly ashamed to say (with regards to the sentiment) that I agree with that.

I'm proud to say though that the Society I have joined does actually do a lot for young anglers by way of organising matches and concessions for fishing etc but I suspect it's probably the exception to the rule.

I used to take my ex's son regularly and he really enjoyed it alongside pursuits such as the TA but they're no longer in the area and I honestly don't know of any young kid that has expressed even the slightest interest in the sport... short of grabbing one and saying "right you're coming along for the day but you'll enjoy it" i'm not sure where to start?

I had numerous peers when I was a young angler that each selflessly took the time and trouble to pick me up, sit beside me and generally pass on their knowledge in order that I could progress to become a competent angler with full enjoyment of the sport.

I know the ATr do seem to do quite a lot in promoting the sport to young anglers, whether this is enough or not I don't know... The harder question for me is how to get people that have no experience or knowledge of the sport to engage in the first place given all of the other distractions that there are these days?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Previously though no such effort was needed , times change does the average angler really care in angling declines ? Not sure they do , why should they ?

To some extent it would be a bonus if fewer and fewer were fishing - those exclusive syndicates would be easier to get on and you wouldnt have to arrive so early to bag that swim at the end of the island, or wherever.

Problem is though, as anglers become fewer, those that are left will be treated even more like misfits or worse (bit like die-hard smokers).. and fishing will be progressively banned from public places. With fewer concerned or informed eys on the rivers the pressure will be off keeping them clean or well managed for wildlife..as we move remorselessly towards a concrete utopia.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
To some extent it would be a bonus if fewer and fewer were fishing - those exclusive syndicates would be easier to get on and you wouldnt have to arrive so early to bag that swim at the end of the island, or wherever.

Problem is though, as anglers become fewer, those that are left will be treated even more like misfits or worse (bit like die-hard smokers).. and fishing will be progressively banned from public places. With fewer concerned or informed eys on the rivers the pressure will be off keeping them clean or well managed for wildlife..as we move remorselessly towards a concrete utopia.

You are right of course but also I fear your predictions for the future are true also

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm afraid that I've long believed that ordinary Joe Angler has little to gain from encouraging youngsters to fish. I feel no obligation whatsoever on that score. However, I have taken a couple of youngsters out, one I'm related to (not desperately interested and the attention levels of a gnat) and one I'm not. I'll also help any youngster on the bank, provided they seem like decent kids, not that I see too many kids of any description these days. I will treat kids on the bank in exactly the same way as I was treated, by the nicer types, as a kid without an angling mentor.

The people that will really benefit from youngsters coming into the sport should be the ones funding such promotion, that means the trade. If those making money out of angling can't be bothered for the long term, they deserve all they get. The trade should be the first port of call for this particular begging bowl, not ordinary Joe Angler.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I wonder if the influx of young European immigrant anglers and their kids, if they start families here, might keep the numbers of participants in angling above a critical level. I would think - although i have no evidence either way - that fathers taking their sons fishing is more ingrained in their culture and more resilient to the modern world than British.

I had daughters with no interest in fishing - but they do at least like fish and lakes etc.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Agree with nearly all you've written Mark.

The knack in my experience is not to just catch fish but to show the wider nature aspect. Turn the day into an adventure showing waterborne and land borne life, beetles and other insects, butterflies dragonflies etc, birds, larvae and fry in the water,, the list is virtually endless if you put your mind to it.

Makes me angry when so called " names" expel a lot of hot air on this subject whilst doing jack all and using their so called position to help towards a solution, instead claiming that they're to old now and it's a young mans game. Absolute rowlocks, kids aren't interested in your age only about what a great time they had.

All it takes is a little imagination and a little work.

black rod

Reaction score
The bottom line is youngsters just aren't interested. I tried to do my bit 13 years ago when I became a PAA coach and set out to get youngsters interested in fishing, it all started off well, but soon became a somewhere that parents could dump their kids for a few hours. It's not only fishing that is seeing the decline in youngsters coming through, my dad has played in a local club darts and dominies league for over 50 years, each year another team drop out and each year he ends up playing 2 or 3 games because they haven't got enough members. It's happening in all sorts of social activity's and sorry but I don't have an answer on how to resolve it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Those who have been on FM for a good few years will remember that we used to hold a children's introduction fishing day.

We stopped running it mainly due to lack of numbers attending coupled with rarely finding enough members to come and "teach" for the day.

I don't think that this is an altogether new problem but one that has steadily grown worse over the past 10 to 15 years . . . . . .

tdrozdow

Reaction score
These posts all add up to us in general agreeing with the problem flagged in the original article and its cause. The issue is how / if there can be a response. I am still of the belief that it is vital for Angling to have a representative body. Such a body will never be able to get it right in terms of representing every issue to the satisfaction of every member with a view but that frankly is how things work (parliament?) and we have to be stronger with a representative voice than without one. Martin Salter is an example. No way is everyone going to agree with him on everything but the man knows how things work and I think his being part of the AT give them a way to understand this and gives them credibility. Its going to be a long, tough road for these guys and without support, they might as well give up now. None of this needs to detract from the efforts of individuals and/or clubs both of which have a vital role to play but even then, if these individual efforts were aligned to an overall strategy, there would be the opportunity to maximise efficiency and effect.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Steve said it all with his comments on fishing for Carp in puddles, many anglers can't see the attraction.

But lots of Young and youngish people like this type of fishing and if it's rocks their boat, why not ?

We have far to many anglers saying youngsters should learn about float fishing/legering and become good at that before they move onto Carp fishing.

That is total rubbish, get them into any sort of fishing, be it carp, match or pleasure, sure some will give it up after a short while, whilst other will carry on fishing for life.

And that is where I think AT is missing a trick, they should be running Carp Courses for Youngster along with the Match Fishing type courses.

Without more youngsters and with an ageing population of angler, tackle shops are going to close down and prices will rise as a result.

If for no better reason than that, we should encourage youngsters into the sport of Angling.

Bob

cg74

Reaction score
Great thread Ron, thanks,
Have noticed that the ''Gob shites'' that you mention have kept quiet!
Never mind, it will be them that moan when fishing as all but gone!

Ah bless you Mark, no one has engaged with you regards the irony in your post.... Ron asked; "And please no futile personal attacks, no gratuitous abuse"
And all you've done is hurl futile abuse, dear, dear me, a little self control might be called for in future.

Out of curiosity Mark, why have you used quotation marks on the term "Gob shites" as I never noticed its usage in the article??

Ron, I have no intention of rewriting the same old things again just because you hold no validity to opinions that are contrary to yours. Which is clearly the case! Just go and read a few ATr threads with an open mind, it should all become clear.

Actually here's a new suggestion (well I've never seen anyone suggest before), if the ATr want/need more members both as a representative figure and for greater funding, why don't they target the biggest clubs in every region/county; the likes of Farnham AS in Surrey - 4500 members I'm told, BAA in Birmingham/Midlands - 20000 members, Newlands AC in Oxford - 1000 members etc
As I'm led to believe Fish Legal insurances rates are exceptionally competitive.

nicepix

Reaction score
I think that it is also erroneous to compare the Angling trust with the RSPB like for like. When the latter was set up there were no places owned by birdwatchers where they could go. Anglers have long held rights to fishing either leased or owned outright. If an angler is a member of an organisation such as Leeds AC then he has the collective might of that organisation behind them and some of these fishing clubs are or were larger than the Angling Trust.

The author's point about having too much faith in the Environment Agency is interesting too. As I see it the EA is a government body and therefore in theory is accountable to you via your MP. Democracy and all that. Who is the Angling Trust answerable to other than themselves?

I've already raised the issue about youngsters not coming into the sport. That is a sign of the times. A bit like Ron Clay asking where are all the archers these days? Or why don't people buy loose carrots instead of those cellophane packs?

But in essence I agree with cg74's post in that the author has set out his case, then ring-fenced it to try and avoid contradictory opinions. Sadly that is all too common with the pro Angling Trust debaters. The George W Bush approach: "You are either with us or against us." No middle ground or acceptance that they might not be right.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The George W Bush approach: "You are either with us or against us." No middle ground or acceptance that they might not be right.

I don't think that's exactly right Nicey. I think it's more like 'you are either with us, or you have a reason/excuse not to join'.
I don't think I've met one person yet who is against the idea of a single voice for angling but I have met a few who disagree with the present set-up. In which case I suggest that they join and make their opinions known; a member can change things from within an organisation but a non-member has no voice.

nicepix

Reaction score
I don't think that's exactly right Nicey. I think it's more like 'you are either with us, or you have a reason/excuse not to join'.
I don't think I've met one person yet who is against the idea of a single voice for angling but I have met a few who disagree with the present set-up. In which case I suggest that they join and make their opinions known; a member can change things from within an organisation but a non-member has no voice.

On that note Geoff you are an exception in the pro-Angling Trust camp. Others are not as accepting of alternative views.

nicepix

Reaction score
Oh I think they are, it's just that excuses not to join and make a difference are generally the alternative view!
But, we've been down that road before :eek:mg:

That's exactly the belligerence I was talking about Geoff. Reasons Freddy. Not excuses. :eek:mg: Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that they are wrong. Quite the reverse usually.

I'll tell you what. People like Fred Bonney do the Angling Trust far more harm than good. They ought to pay him to keep quiet.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I've said before on many occasions nitpix, your reasons just done carry any weight, they are what I've said... excuses.

And i still find it extremely hard to believe that the firmly held opinions of any individual should affect the membership quota of any organisation.
It is just another excuse to use though.

B

binka

Well I’ve just renewed my membership.

I was tired of feeling brow beaten into not joining by the fraternity that wouldn’t join because they complained about feeling brow beaten into joining.

Now it sounds a weak reason doesn’t it… :eek: ;) :D

Tight lines for the weekend everyone, have a good one :)