A neat little solution.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I like hook keepers on rods. I'm not overly keen on the whipped on metal flip out type. I've been less than convinced about where some manufacturers choose to locate them on the blank. I'd still rather have them than not. However, more than the odd good rod doesn't have a hook keeper at all. That leaves you with the choice of having one whipped on, or using the legs of the first line guide as a keeper. Some folks also seem to thing that using the eye of the guide is a good option. I've seen a few too many cracked, or pulled out, inserts to go along with that one. As for those that choose to hook into the top most piece of the rod handle, the less said the better!:eek::eek:mg:

Anyway, I've finally found a simple non-permanent solution. I became aware that Fuji were doing the EZ Hook Keeper a while back, but they seemed rather expensive for a tiny bit of plastic (the photos generally make them look bigger than they are) and a nitrile O ring. I refused to buy one for quite some time as they were the best part of £5 without postage. On finding Guides and Blanks doing them for £2.30 I decided that I'd give them a go for three of my favourite keeperless rods. Not cheap, but hardly a huge expense for favourite rods. However, I was only too well aware that what appears to be the same thing (unbranded) can be had for pennies, provided you are prepared to wait for the slow boat from China. I'm looking forward to finding out if there's any difference whatsoever. I somehow doubt there will be.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd be a bit weary that they don't scratch your favorite rods Chris. Reason I say that is they look as though they will be rubbing against the rod blank when you rotate them....maybe not but that's how it appears.
Maybe a turn or two of electrical tape under the contraption before attaching it would stop that problem...if there is one.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Something I was wary of, but it doesn't look like it's going to be an issue. However, I'm quite prepared to use them in such a way that they'll never be "flipped" between two positions.

Keith M

Reaction score
They look like very usefull things to have on rods that don't already have keepers fitted.

Keith

sam vimes

Reaction score
The slow boat from China versions have arrived. They are a facsimilie of the genuine Fuji product. The plastic isn't the same, the finish isn't as good, they don't fit together as well and don't work as well.

The proper Fuji version is stupidly expensive for a bit of moulded plastic and an O ring. However, I suspect that it may actually be false economy to go for the cheap copies.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The slow boat from China versions have arrived. They are a facsimilie of the genuine Fuji product. The plastic isn't the same, the finish isn't as good, they don't fit together as well and don't work as well.

The proper Fuji version is stupidly expensive for a bit of moulded plastic and an O ring. However, I suspect that it may actually be false economy to go for the cheap copies.

At least you tried them out Chris, now you know they're not up to your standards. You could do what I do and hook the hook onto one of the bottom guides legs. I've had no prob's doing this and have done it for many years ;).
You could always bite the bullet and get the fuji ones :eek:

sam vimes

Reaction score
You could do what I do and hook the hook onto one of the bottom guides legs. I've had no prob's doing this and have done it for many years ;).

I've done the same for donkey's years, I just don't like doing it and want to avoid doing it in future.

You could always bite the bullet and get the fuji ones :eek:

I've already got a three of the proper Fuji ones. Will probably end up getting a few more. The cheap Chinese copies were worth a shot for the 16p each they cost.

Last edited:

ian g

Reaction score
Sam , I took a punt on those Chinese ones and thought the same as you , any idea were you can get the fuji ones? Thanks

Molehill

Reaction score
I've always fitted keeper rings to my rods and utilise them, going back to my childhood I recall we all stuck our flies/hooks into the cork - with predictable results!

Personally I would simply whip a keeper ring onto any rod without one and not bother with gadgets, if you don't want it permanent, I would slap a couple of coats of PVA over the whippings to give some protection. But you can easily cut it off when needed.

One comment on my Drennan acolyte float rod, it has a keeper ring so small I can barely see the ring never mind locate a hook in it, quite ridiculously small and I must modify.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam , I took a punt on those Chinese ones and thought the same as you , any idea were you can get the fuji ones? Thanks

A link for both cheapies and genuine Fuji are in the OP.

However, here's the cheapest UK source I found. Clicky

Alternatively, there's an ebay seller from Vietnam. They've even got metal effect and coloured versions if you feel the need to colour coordinate and have too much money!;):D Clicky

ian g

Reaction score
A link for both cheapies and genuine Fuji are in the OP.

However, here's the cheapest UK source I found. Clicky

Alternatively, there's an ebay seller from Vietnam. They've even got metal effect and coloured versions if you feel the need to colour coordinate and have too much money!;):D Clicky

Thanks Sam, just ordered 2

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I am interested in what people see as being the advantage of a hook keeper compared to just hooking to a rod ring ?

Several of my rods have hook keepers but i rarely use it, preferring the frame (not the lining) of a rod ring.

Also i find the position of the keepers on some rods holds the line in what i consider to be a worse position further away from the blank and so more prone to catch on something than hooking it to the frame of a rod ring.

Finally i am surprised that in an age when people are oo-ing and arrhh-ing over grams of differences on rod weight they are happy to add extra weight in the form of a keeper.

Am i missing something ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I am interested in what people see as being the advantage of a hook keeper compared to just hooking to a rod ring ?

Several of my rods have hook keepers but i rarely use it, preferring the frame (not the lining) of a rod ring.

Also i find the position of the keepers on some rods holds the line in what i consider to be a worse position further away from the blank and so more prone to catch on something than hooking it to the frame of a rod ring.

Finally i am surprised that in an age when people are oo-ing and arrhh-ing over grams of differences on rod weight they are happy to add extra weight in the form of a keeper.

Am i missing something ?

Though I will if forced to, I detest using rod rings as keepers. I see it as little more than an abuse. I've seen cracks and chips to liners, deformations and paint loss to legs. At the extreme, I've seen rings ripped and snapped off rods because they've been used as keepers. I always try to treat my gear better than that. However, it's still infinitely better than hooking the foregrip/reel seat. I don't like the potential for damage or marking of the ring. I also prefer the practicality of having a keeper just beyond the foregrip. Reaching up to a ring, that could be a fair way up the blank, can be a PITA, especially when wading. I also find it a PITA when I'm floatfishing at a depth approaching the full length of the rod. In that instance the first guide can be too far up the blank to hook up or the float ends up a bit too near the tip ring for comfort. Using these tiny bits of plastic and rubber, or even the tiny metal contraptions, just forward of the foregrip isn't going to make the slightest bit of noticeable difference to the weight or balance of a rod. I can only add that I'm really not bothered about putting these temporary hook keepers on anything other than float rods. That has an awful lot to do with 90%+ of my fishing utilising float rods, but also because they are likely to have the lightest and most easily damaged rings of any kind of rod I know of.

Philip

Reaction score
Though I will if forced to, I detest using rod rings as keepers. I see it as little more than an abuse. I've seen cracks and chips to liners, deformations and paint loss to legs. At the extreme, I've seen rings ripped and snapped off rods because they've been used as keepers. I always try to treat my gear better than that. However, it's still infinitely better than hooking the foregrip/reel seat. I don't like the potential for damage or marking of the ring. I also prefer the practicality of having a keeper just beyond the foregrip. Reaching up to a ring, that could be a fair way up the blank, can be a PITA, especially when wading. I also find it a PITA when I'm floatfishing at a depth approaching the full length of the rod. In that instance the first guide can be too far up the blank to hook up or the float ends up a bit too near the tip ring for comfort. Using these tiny bits of plastic and rubber, or even the tiny metal contraptions, just forward of the foregrip isn't going to make the slightest bit of noticeable difference to the weight or balance of a rod. I can only add that I'm really not bothered about putting these temporary hook keepers on anything other than float rods. That has an awful lot to do with 90%+ of my fishing utilising float rods, but also because they are likely to have the lightest and most easily damaged rings of any kind of rod I know of.

Reasonable points.

Crikey if you have seen rod rings ripped off then i can see why you might be against using them as a keeper. I even test my clutch against mine & never had a problem.

The foot ? or so difference between a keeper and the butt ring i cant honestly think its going to make that much difference when wading or for the float depth but its probably a personal thing.

I guess i am non fussed about them..if a rod has them i wont recoil in horror but it would make very little difference for me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gott'a hold my hand up in shame as I do use the bottom guied as my hook keeper, even on rods with purpose built hook keepers.
I'm always very carefull when placing a hook on the leg of the guide and have never had any issues...."fingers crossed" that hasn't jinxed me now!
I've noticed that very often the point of the hook is sticking into the blank when it's placed in the hook keeper and like Philip I do'nt like the positioning being so far back.
I suppose that's the beauty of the removeable one Sam has brought to our attension, you can place them where you wish.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The last time I ordered some tackle from £1 fishing tackle I bought some of these milo rubber hook keepers, I thought that for 10p each they're probably a handy thing to keep in my tacklebox.

Pack of 10 Milo Hook Holders - One Pound Fishing Tackle

Keith

I've used those (or variations on the theme) on poles before. However, I've not seen any for years, not that I've really looked. I never tried them on a rod though.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If you know of any anglers who pole fish, get some old pole elastic off them and make your own.
or another alternative is a packet of Drennan pole winder anchors , wrap around rod blank and put one end through
the other,