A new Wye venue

Simon K

Reaction score
a species that fights like a wet blanket and very rarely exceeds 4lb (perch).

Do you dip your hooks in Librium? :confused::p

I've always found perch to be good fighters on light-ish tackle.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not only do they fight well on light tackle but even my local farm ponds have perch to 4lb.
Jerry

cg74

Reaction score
Do you dip your hooks in Librium? :confused::p

I've always found perch to be good fighters on light-ish tackle.

No need for chemicals too subdue them, unless using small hooks and they're lip hooked.

Not only do they fight well on light tackle but even my local farm ponds have perch to 4lb.
Jerry

I rate them as sluggish at best. Regards weight, I accept that a 4lber isn't the enigma it once was, one local (to me) farm pond held the Bitish record for a while and another one produced a 6lber, it wasn't accepted as a new record, not fully sure as to why?

Ok I'll up the ante - I'd be amazed if a rod could be wholly suitable for fishing for a species that IMO only offers a dogged thrashing (well sort of) fight and seldom goes 6lb. I can see it being suitable for chub as IMO once they're away from snags, its almost always game over and an 8lber is still a rarity.

After doing that , still be the best rod for catching a fish that goes 14lb+ and fights hard, often going on long runs if given the opportunity, hmm, I'd be shocked.

Happy?:rolleyes::D:D

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have you ever used a GTI SU Colin?

I have one in 15' flavour. It's now redundant because a couple of Shimano 15' Specimen match rods (Aerocast and Technium DF) urinate all over it. However, it does cope with bits and proper lumps.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thank you Sam, I'll give that some consideration when I receive this year's winter fuel payment;)
Jerry
PS They must be exceptionally good rods.

Morespiders

Reaction score
It appears to me that this thread, and a lot of the posts on it, are the result of long standing arguments and upsets from other sites.

Why on earth these are being aired here on FishingMagic I haven't a clue!

This thread will be closed or deleted if it descends into posts that contrave the Rules and/ot the T&C's for FM.

Correct Mr Jacobs, we dont need it

barbelboi

Reaction score
Correct Mr Jacobs, we dont need it

barbelboi-albums-a2-picture2837-smilie-off-topic.gif
:D

Rich Frampton

Reaction score
Colin, you appear to have the ability to start a row in a dark room on your own. :)

cg74

Reaction score
Colin, you appear to have the ability to start a row in a dark room on your own. :)

Quite possibly Rich, but not on this occasion; this is a difference of opinion. I don't think perch fight especially hard, Simon and Jerry believe they do....... Same as a few on FM say bream pull back hard; I don't. :doh:

---------- Post added at 04:36 ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 ----------

Have you ever used a GTI SU Colin?

No, not as yet, what am I missing out on?

Currently I use a Fox Avon 0.75lb test rod for most of my chub fishing (I'd have said its perfect for big perch too?) and a 2lb test Greys Prodigy for tench, barbel and bream, it is a soft/forgiving 2lb test though.
I am open to suggestions, but I do struggle to understand how one rod can offer both a 0.75lb and a 1.75lb action?????:confused::confused:

Bluenose

Reaction score
Fella's ....please ...no more. I'm losing the will to live!

Any more and I'll be forced to lock.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

but I do struggle to understand how one rod can offer both a 0.75lb and a 1.75lb action????

I'm not sure how relevant test curves are!

I used that rod to catch small silvers and net chub/roach, never bumped one, size 16 and 2lb hooklength. I've not caught a lump on it yet, but a mate caught a 10lb + float fished carp on his with 6 or 8lb line straight through, he never felt he was out of control.

In the workshop the rod builder pulled it to 7lb on a spring balance, I thought it might break, yet he tells me he has pulled it through to 15lb on a previous occasion.

Now I have no idea what the test curve of that rod is, but it does do those jobs!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the workshop the rod builder pulled it to 7lb on a spring balance, I thought it might break, yet he tells me he has pulled it through to 15lb on a previous occasion.

Now I have no idea what the test curve of that rod is, but it does do those jobs!

That Kev Bains confuses the hell out of me as well.

Simon K

Reaction score
Fella's ....please ...no more. I'm losing the will to live!

Any more and I'll be forced to lock.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

I'm not sure how relevant test curves are!

I used that rod to catch small silvers and net chub/roach, never bumped one, size 16 and 2lb hooklength. I've not caught a lump on it yet, but a mate caught a 10lb + float fished carp on his with 6 or 8lb line straight through, he never felt he was out of control.

Isn't this what's called a progressive action type rod, where it gets stronger as it curves into the butt? I'm sure a mate of mine had one with a very soft top section, but kicked into considerable strength for bigger fish when playing them?

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Isn't this what's called a progressive action type rod, where it gets stronger as it curves into the butt? I'm sure a mate of mine had one with a very soft top section, but kicked into considerable strength for bigger fish when playing them?

All rods get stronger as they curve 'into the butt', but more often than not 'getting stronger' means the rod has 'locked up', ie, the tube has reached its full curve and collapsed as far as it can and the rod has become solid. Many anglers confuse 'locking up' with the rod becoming stronger.

At this point the angler can still exert a lot more pressure on the line before the rod breaks, but the problem is that the rod no longer has any shock absorber effect and you are effectively playing the fish off the reel.

Which is exactly why it's important to properly marry rods and lines and not use a line that is too light for a rod, nor one that is too heavy, as both will lead to breakages.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
PS: And another reason why a through-action rod, one that will bend from tip to butt, is better for playing fish than a rod with most of its action in the tip.

Rod design is always a compromise; they're either built for casting or built for playing. The middle ground is just a compromise between the two and ideal for none.

Bluenose

Reaction score
That Kev Bains confuses the hell out of me as well.

Tell me about it. Perch session this morning.....

3lb chub on a size 16 with light hooklink (double pinkie intended for gudgeon)
1 x gudgeon (2x no 4 float cast 15 metres or so)
19lb pike caught on said gudgeon

The rod just didn't feel 'wrong' for any of those fish.

To be continued.

Terry D

Reaction score
6 pages later, a few detours off track and still only heard of 1 new venue on the Wye. Are there any other venues on the Wye that members may wish to add?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
New venue?

But there's a 3500-hit thread on another site at the moment about a big, in the comics, Sussex (?) fish...

Swim, please (as I need the glory but am totally unprepared to put in the footwork and scouting and figuring and hours of non-catching); I want it NOW.

Reminds of the rude-boy Richard Heads (I used to fish with a real one on the Kennet thirty years ago, a lovely man) who were chasing me all over the Internet and the streets of outer West London about a Colne fish I'd found and caught (thrice, with suitable, several months-long breaks between my efforts) for several years until not that long ago.

Last edited: