A Personal Best Mullet for Mark

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Well done mate, great fish that. Exactly the same weight as my best mullet I caught from Anglesey about 15 years ago. Saw some much bigger fish but getting them to take a bait was one hell of a job.

We would stand on the footbridge and watch them come up the river, as they spotted us on the bridge they'd shoot under it like bats out of hell, leaving massive bow waves in their wake.

Trotted flake and spinning with a small Mepps with a red tag were the best methods. For some strange reason putting maggots on the treble hook of the spinner seemed to make it work better.

dezza

Reaction score
I have never caught many mullet, mores the pity, but can confirm that they are incredible scrappers, where ever you catch them in the world, and they can be found in most countries around the harbours and estuaries.

Well done Mark.

Don't forget your fly tackle next time you go for them.

Reaction score
As a a lad I used to fish for mullet in tidal creeks on an incoming tide with my match rod with float fished bread flake. My best was 31/2 lbs but I can still remember the fight these fish gave. It was only when I became a born again angler a few years ago that I caught a fish whose fight compared and that was the barbel. Well done Mark.

PS I was staying with friends who have just moved to Wimborne the other week and had an hour walking the Stour at Camford. Lovely looking river. I must take up thier invitation to stay so I may be asking for some advice on where and how best to fish it.

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Mark, if thats the same yomp that Nigel took me on then you deserve a medal for just turning up, the walk that day with chest waders on in temperatures over 30 degs is something I have nightmares about even now, and I fell in filling my reel with sand, oooh! the pain :)

I loved the look of the place and if only you could hire a boat to make things easier I would do it again anytime, a place to die for - literally in my case hahaha!

Nice fish by the way Mark.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Well done Mark nice mullet and its 3oz bigger than my best

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
What a great fish, very well done Mark. I know just too well how fustrating mullets are and I'm looking forward to go hunting them with you in the near future. Let's hope the mullet are oblidged then for us too.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Class act Mark! Well done - you must be fitter than you look!It's many years since I chased mullet on the lower Stour or harbour, must give it a go soon.

Reaction score
Great mullet Mark well done!

I was intrigued by your comment that "it combines my roach fishing float skills with playing something more akin to bonefish!"

I'm not very familiar with bonefish... What do they fight like (and don't say mullet!!)? Where do they come from? And what's your pb?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Bonefish are ranked one of the hardest fighting fish in the world, pound for pound, and found in shallow water in the Bahamas. They are famed for sizzling runs. I've never been near one but know that mullet can be frustratingly hard to beat.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
****y,

Bonefish fight like a Rainbow Trout on steroids and crack!

I caught a few off of the Florida coast on a fly rod. In fact, one of the party had a 6# fly rod snapped by a bonefish.

I've only caught a few Mullet, but I think Mark's description is very accurate.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I took Steve Spiller on a South Coast river roach hunt last night but out of the blue a large shoal of mullet appeared. Steve tried flake shallow and hooked one even though they weren't really feeding (his first encounter with one). At first he didn't rate the fight but after about three minutes the mullet calmly smashed him with a head shake in a split second! I think the mullet was playing Steve!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Nice one Mark! Thats a fish I'd love to have on my list.

****y, you can catch bonefish all over the Carribean and in the Maldives. Fishing for them in Florida can be incredibly frustrating as they are somewhat pressured there. Can't see why you'd want to fish for them myself as the places that they're found in are pretty crappy. :D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Many years ago(70s)I worked in Antibes harbour in S France.I spent hours,which turned into days,then weeks trying to catch a mullet.I used big breadflake on a float rig,sometimes the float would bury,adrenaline rush,strike,bottocks! missed another one.I never did get one and have never tried again.
Nice fish Mark,patience obviously paid off for you.
I recognise that bridge in your avatar,I was in the same swim for a week in march this year,the BIG roach evaded me,but I will be back,are there any mullet in that location?