A Question for the Whip People

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Anyone ever felt like an endangered species using a Rod and Reel these days. I have only returned to fishing a few years ago after a many year break and can't help but notice the Rod and Reel (round here at least) is not really in fashion. Now the pole is and the Whip. Having never used a whip before (or a pole come to that) I have decided to be extravagant, and after wrestling with my conscience over winter I finally took the bait and remortgaged the house to buy an Advant 3m Whip for £9.99, I know a lot of you would not even consider spending that amount on one ;) but I did. I know that it will never return its value as a used whip goes for peanuts but the fun outweighs the cost.... Only Kidding!

Now the question...

I was expecting a piece of elastic on the end and did not get one, this whip has a small steel eye on the end...

Is this what they called a fixed whip?

I notice that the rig that came with it (thrown in as an extra because of the cost) has a loop tied to the end...

Is it just a case of putting the loop through the eye and then feeding the tackle end through and your good to go?

Thanks, everyone, I hope that this will be ok for small fish...

sam vimes

Reaction score
True whips do not have elastics fitted. They are intended for speed fishing, to hand, for small fish.

Poles are intended to have elastics fitted, though they usually have limits to the elastic ratings they are designed to be used with.

Over the years, there have been more expensive whips supplied with both flick tips and hollow tips. These hollow tips are intended for use with elastics at the lighter end of the spectrum. They are still intended for catching relatively small fish. They will invariably be sold and marketed as whips, not poles. Poles are usually longer and larger in diameter, even at a similar length to a whip.

I don't recall anyone ever using the term "fixed whip". A whip is a whip. A proper one will have a flick tip. All that should vary is whether it's a take apart or a telescopic. Go back far enough and you may also encounter put in joints. However, I've not seen put in joints for decades.

There are several ways to attach a rig to a flick tip. The simplest is to use an eye (if the whip has one) and a line loop.

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Thanks, Sam for your answer. This one has the eye, so I guess you use the loop to affix the supplied float/line. For 9.99 it really ain't that bad but definitely NOT for anything of any size it will however be a lot of fun for little fishes. I will set this up when I go out next and fingers crossed it will be fit for purpose. If this is good, and I enjoy using it, I think I will probably buy another. Maybe a bit bigger for the small club lake I use.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Another way is to take it to the tackle shop ,ask them to remove steel eye and fit a stonfo connector, cost probably a couple of quid.
Another is to remove steel eye and use silicone tubing to hold rig on,If your a first time user I would go down the stonfo route.
Going by the name of the whip, did you get it from Angling Direct, ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A few years ago I wrote an article of short whip fishing here on FM. The basics are all still pretty much the same.

Some of the photos went missing when we changed server but they are really not needed.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Peter, a great well explained article.Do you ever use small wagglers on whip rigs, ?
I have used them when circumstances dictate, a canal I fish has a tow on it when lock gates open, I found a waggler set up was better than pole float set up when this happened .

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Mark . . . it is a method I'd use a lot in Europe and Norway.

I've used small wagglers on occasion but only on canal type venues. In Norway and Sweden we used to fish a few matches on a couple of moats and depending on the wind the waggler was often the best.