A Rare Find

J

John Bailey

IMG_3569.jpg

You never know what’s round the next corner. A trip to Ludlow market on a freezing Monday morning brought me to the stall selling goods in aid of the Rojo Rojo orphanage in Kenya. All the items were hand made by the kids out there, and were beautiful, practical and, I felt, too cheap. I’d bought some wonderfully carved salad spoons when my eye fell on a clutch of catapults, crude but sturdy, as though they’d been made by Denis The Menace or Just William. “Go down well with anglers” the man on the stall said and, yes, of course they would, I immediately realised. For six quid this little beauty was mine.

A good cause I thought. And more sustainable perhaps? Mostly leather rather than plastic, and coming from Kenya rather than China, which might have saved a mile or a thousand too, I reckoned without checking. (Probably two thousand in actual fact.) But would it work?

I had some baiting up to do, so took it and my inevitable Nash boilies down to the river and, my my, work it did. Of course, the pouch can only take one 15mm bait at a time but they FLY! The contraption looks Heath Robinson but those Kenyan kids know something the rest of us don’t. Accuracy, range and, I guess, durability. Every box more than ticked.

Of course there are also occasions when putting in boilies singularly is a great advantage. One plop every minute is less likely to spook a fidgety barbel or carp than the blunderbuss attack of half a dozen boilies battering the swim half to death. I hope that catapult will be with me for several years for just these sticky situations. And to remind me we don’t know everything here in the West.

The post A Rare Find first appeared on FishingMagic Magazine.

Continue reading...

flightliner

Reaction score
View attachment 19285

You never know what’s round the next corner. A trip to Ludlow market on a freezing Monday morning brought me to the stall selling goods in aid of the Rojo Rojo orphanage in Kenya. All the items were hand made by the kids out there, and were beautiful, practical and, I felt, too cheap. I’d bought some wonderfully carved salad spoons when my eye fell on a clutch of catapults, crude but sturdy, as though they’d been made by Denis The Menace or Just William. “Go down well with anglers” the man on the stall said and, yes, of course they would, I immediately realised. For six quid this little beauty was mine.

A good cause I thought. And more sustainable perhaps? Mostly leather rather than plastic, and coming from Kenya rather than China, which might have saved a mile or a thousand too, I reckoned without checking. (Probably two thousand in actual fact.) But would it work?

I had some baiting up to do, so took it and my inevitable Nash boilies down to the river and, my my, work it did. Of course, the pouch can only take one 15mm bait at a time but they FLY! The contraption looks Heath Robinson but those Kenyan kids know something the rest of us don’t. Accuracy, range and, I guess, durability. Every box more than ticked.

Of course there are also occasions when putting in boilies singularly is a great advantage. One plop every minute is less likely to spook a fidgety barbel or carp than the blunderbuss attack of half a dozen boilies battering the swim half to death. I hope that catapult will be with me for several years for just these sticky situations. And to remind me we don’t know everything here in the West.
I have a few catapults, always had one as a lad and ever after as an angler.
A few years ago now I chatted to an ex member on here and we both attended a tournament, me as a spectator.
I was awestruck at how good and accurate the competitors were at the ten and twenty metre comps, plenty of bulls and near centre hits were commonplace.
If ever you get the chance to see a comp local to you dont miss out, a great bunch of guys and all willing to pass on a few tips on using a 'pult.
One guy there makes plenty for sale and has a u tube channel (google gamekeeper john) where you can watch him hitting a suspended swinging bottle top at over a hundred paces and more.
Myself? Well tbh compared to any of the guys I saw thst day I' m a really poor shot, lack of practice on my part for sure!!
My friend that day made me one, a pickle fork style that I enjoy using when having a rare target practice (see pic) others are l to R are a gamekeeper john style one, then the pickle fork and extreme right is a genuine gamekeeper at the top and below is the one I made myself from some scrap ends of Burmese teak, sorry, recycled Teak!
IMG_20220126_201824.jpg

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have a few catapults, always had one as a lad and ever after as an angler.
A few years ago now I chatted to an ex member on here and we both attended a tournament, me as a spectator.
I was awestruck at how good and accurate the competitors were at the ten and twenty metre comps, plenty of bulls and near centre hits were commonplace.
If ever you get the chance to see a comp local to you dont miss out, a great bunch of guys and all willing to pass on a few tips on using a 'pult.
One guy there makes plenty for sale and has a u tube channel (google gamekeeper john) where you can watch him hitting a suspended swinging bottle top at over a hundred paces and more.
Myself? Well tbh compared to any of the guys I saw thst day I' m a really poor shot, lack of practice on my part for sure!!
My friend that day made me one, a pickle fork style that I enjoy using when having a rare target practice (see pic) others are l to R are a gamekeeper john style one, then the pickle fork and extreme right is a genuine gamekeeper at the top and below is the one I made myself from some scrap ends of Burmese teak, sorry, recycled Teak! View attachment 19305

They look nice. I haven’t met Mark in person but we are friends on Faceache. I saw some of the catapults he made and they looked really good. It was a shame when he stopped posting on here as he seemed a nice bloke and is a thinking angler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk