A Whip Question

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
I recently purchased a whip, very cheap 3 meters from AD and it's been great fun. Even caught a few fish with it!! Now my question to those who know about whips is this: I have also purchased a 7-meter whip which, to be honest, is a bit hard to control, I have only used it once so this might be a first impression that will change. Now the whip is telescopic however you can unscrew the end cap and reduce the size of the whip by taking sections off. In other words, I could reduce the length of the whip by simply taking the first two sections off. Anyone tried this and does it work...? Thanks in advance for any answers.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
I recently purchased a whip, very cheap 3 meters from AD and it's been great fun. Even caught a few fish with it!! Now my question to those who know about whips is this: I have also purchased a 7-meter whip which, to be honest, is a bit hard to control, I have only used it once so this might be a first impression that will change. Now the whip is telescopic however you can unscrew the end cap and reduce the size of the whip by taking sections off. In other words, I could reduce the length of the whip by simply taking the first two sections off. Anyone tried this and does it work...? Thanks in advance for any answers.
If it's fully telescopic then you can use it at whatever length you want. Doesn't have to be the full 7m. So 7m, 6m, 5m or whatever. You cannot add and subtract sections easily whist fishing like a take-apart whip (to net bigger than expected fish or to simply try further out for a short while etc) but you can still fish whatever length you like.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I bought three whips of differing lengths for my grandchildren. The longest whip was a bit unwieldy for a nine year old so I shortened it by removing cap and taking off a couple of sections. This particular pole has two tips, one is elasticated and the other a flick tip. The elasicated one is easiest, as you can seperate the line by opening the stonfo. The only downside really is that some butt sections have a non slip coating but in reality they coped fine.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I have several whips but the one that I use the most is a 7mtr whip; which is telescopic up to 5mtrs and has two 1mtr take apart add on sections at its base that I can add or remove while playing a fish or if I just need to use it at 6 or 7mtrs.

I usually use this whip at 5 metres (or 6 metres) and the take apart section(s) come in very useful if I hook a large fish.
This extra length comes in very handy when I need to play out a larger fish but it’s also very useful when it comes to netting a larger fish that is too heavy to swing in to hand.

I’d thoroughly recommend a telescopic whip which has one or two take apart sections at its base for using as above.

Keith

Last edited:

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone for your replies. Looks like my plan will work. I must say I enjoy the whip. If I have had a bit of a mediocre day on the rod there is nothing better than breaking out the whip to lighten things up. Also a dam good way of starting a session in my opinion. Strange really because some anglers view the whip as a child toy, not me, anything that catches is good in my book. Don't know if any of you have seen those Bill Evans video on youtube, what a guy. Here a link to his introduction to whip fishing. Now that's the attitude to have.

Learnt so much from him, what a legend.