A Wonderful, Wild, Wensum Brown… or is it?

J

John Bailey

Let me give you a bit of background because I genuinely need some help here.

I began fishing the Wensum, and other Norfolk rivers, just a little too late to capitalise on the huge browns that lived there, back in years leading up to the Seventies. The history books record numerous browns of 6 pounds plus, including doubles, that were taken, especially from the mill pools. I was intoxicated by the idea of catching one myself as a teenager and young man in his twenties, even though the heyday of these great fish was over. I came close. I rubbed shoulders with a fish of perhaps 7 pounds in Lyng mill pool between 1973 and 1975, when it vanished.

Even more exciting, during the spring of 1975 I stumbled across an even larger creature in Worthing mill pool, a few miles up river. This beast was at least 12 pounds, spotted like a leopard, and I watched it comb the gravels for minnows and gudgeon over several weeks. In retrospect, I did not give that fish my all, and there were many things I could have tried but sadly did not. I’d love the chance again.

Mark says, “Thanks for the ‘wild trout’ verdict.
I’m happy with ‘may have been a stockie once’, but was probably stocked at 1.5lb and has been in the river several seasons, gaining strength, camouflage and cunning all the time, is now fin-perfect and well-muscled from a life in the current. Has fed more on flies and grubs than pellets. And has possibly eluded capture for most of its life.”

To some degree, I have been blessed with a second bite at this particular cherry. These past ten years, some big browns have again come from the Wensum, and even more so from the upper Bure. I have no doubt that the big browns caught mid-last century were native, but my question is – what about the source of these later fish? The photograph shows my friend Mark Hayes with a 5.13 Wensum brown, where I have seen and weighed fish up to 7.08. Robbie Northman has caught similar fish from the upper Bure. These are great fish, whatever their parentage, but quite obviously it would be good to know what that parentage is.

Both the Wensum and upper Bure do have stocks of small wild browns in their upper reaches, so it is quite possible that bigger fish have moved downstream, looking for increased food levels. I have no doubt that big browns can easily traverse sluices without much difficulty. However, it is equally possible, is it not, that these fish are browns stocked into the occasional small syndicates found along both rivers? They could easily be introduced fish that have grown on to a large size on a diet of minnows, and of course, signal crayfish.

I have heard various theories about how a big brown can be verified, one way or another, by looking at fins, spotting patterns, and so on. My problem is that many of these theories contradict each other, leaving me still groping in the dark. It might be that killing the fish, or at least taking scales, could establish the true identity of these trout, but I wouldn’t want them killed, and who would carry out the tests anyway?

From what I hear, these fish are not unique, and certainly other Eastern rivers hold similar spotted surprises. I’d relish knowing any way of forming a definitive opinion from looking at a photograph alone, especially of a fish that has perfect fins and superficially at least looks the real deal. So, answers, please!

The post A Wonderful, Wild, Wensum Brown… or is it? first appeared on FishingMagic Magazine.

Continue reading...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There are few fish that can compare to a large river brown trout . . . . . my best being a 4lb 6oz specimen from the Itchen.

I have had much larger rainbow and brown trout from Avington but they really don't compare to a big river brownie . . .

Avington opens on March 29th (current plan) so I hope to be over there with a few old friends from FM.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Am I allowed to say I enjoy catching trout on coarse gear? I will anyway.

Having grown up within the m25 I thought trout were rare until I travelled around a bit, as a result I really love them, only managed lots of small ones on my trip up the Wensum and there's quite a few in the Chet up there as well. Since then have had some truly beautiful fish from all over often from free waters. I think a trout manages both beauty and fearsome ugliness at times but that's just me, the pattern differs on each river as do the colours, such fantastic colours!

Never thought to question their parentage although I have have triploid stockies elsewhere, the colours were more washed out on these but that may not be gospel in indentification, I think trout breed well there's far too many about for many of them to be wandering stock fish.

They can sure travel and I've had the feeling that some of the bigger ones have been drawn upstream from a long way down, just a feeling the way they often turn up late in a session trotting, they seem an easy fish to catch but boy do they scrap, one of the strongest fish in our rivers, sea trout even stronger perhaps but wild brownies go some and I'm not talking about those crazy ones that jump all over the shop.

I hooked one once which tore off upstream to the end of the swim, we both had differing perspectives of what constitutes a swim ending as the fish continued in an inch of water on it's side over gravel, I was like a bear thinking should I go and just grab it or 'play' it back into some water? I did the latter and was rewarded with the most beautiful trout and a severely bitten bit of line that just broke with the slightest tweak after.

I rested it in my net and had lunch, it was free to go anytime but I reckon It would have stayed there all day, I went to have a look at it and it went away with some mind blowing acceleration. Trout need a bit of resting at times like grayling and barbel

I saw another big brownie go up Shepperton weir on the Thames, up the old cascade bit not the salmon ladder, bounce bounce bounce up each flight it did it no problem, they sure can travel

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I am not sure if it matters. Surely a brown trout is a brown trout is a brown trout? Maybe not?
I once saw a huge trout (pike size!) follow my ABU plug in a small Scottish Loch ( Loch Oich) which is part of the Caledonian Canal. All spots and colour in the clear water.

theartist

Reaction score
I am not sure if it matters. Surely a brown trout is a brown trout is a brown trout? Maybe not?
I once saw a huge trout (pike size!) follow my ABU plug in a small Scottish Loch ( Loch Oich) which is part of the Caledonian Canal. All spots and colour in the clear water.
Ferox trout?

theartist

Reaction score
I have heard the term but have always thought it refers to a big brown trout. Are they an different species?
Eek, don't think so but others will know more, I think it is a trout that has got big eating char and gets the name Ferox, over here they usually lose their spots a bit but I know in North america you can get huge brownies that are really spotty, could be wrong though the research was done when I drew a ferox trout. I drew the spotty version but should have done the more traditional lesser spotted pattern I think

A quick google has revealed a different latin name so it must be classified as a different species

Another search has just contradicted this

john step

Reaction score
Ta. Reading that it would seem there was a genetic divergence thousands of years ago and the word sub species comes to mind.
This business of big brownies has made me wonder how big stocked brownies would grow . I dont know if its still trout fished but I used to fish Queen Mother Res, near Heathrow a very deep concrete bowl . If there are any trout left they maybe grow big on the roach in there. I know they caught huge rainbows down in the depths.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ta. Reading that it would seem there was a genetic divergence thousands of years ago and the word sub species comes to mind.
This business of big brownies has made me wonder how big stocked brownies would grow . I dont know if its still trout fished but I used to fish Queen Mother Res, near Heathrow a very deep concrete bowl . If there are any trout left they maybe grow big on the roach in there. I know they caught huge rainbows down in the depths.

The record brownie from Avington weighted in at . . . 22lbs 8ozs . . . It was caught the year before and returned at close to 7 pounds lighter.

It was caught using a gold head Bloodworm pattern on 6lb leader and a Sage floating line.

it was set up and now resides in the tackle shop at Avington . . . . where it inspires all who see it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's way too much diversity to be absolutely sure about the origins of individual fish. Even after nearly forty years of fishing my brownie infested local river, I can't do much more than take an educated guess at a brown trout's origins. That's on a river where the bulk of the fish are small buttery little things with relatively sparse spots that are usually very round and vivid reds or blacks. Whenever I catch a fish bigger than a pound, with dense spot patterns, irregular spot shapes and little colour to them (much like the fish in the OP), I tend to think "stockie". The main reason for thinking this way is that these bigger than average fish, with more spots than normal, often have fin deformities that are indicative of them being stocked fish. I don't recall seeing what I'd mark down as a real wild brownie exceeding 2lb on my local river(s). However, I certainly wouldn't put money on my assessment and I wouldn't make any assumptions on any river I was less familiar with.

bullet

Reaction score
I would say that in the 99% of cases, a stocked fish will have fin deformities even when it is completely mended and has been in the river for a long time.
The Dorsal is often the giveaway, it's often thick and slightly wrinkled, even if the rest of the fins look fine, you could call it "Cauliflower Fin" I suppose.
I argue about this subject a lot with fishing mates...
Some think if no red spots are present, it's a Stockie.
I disagree, but undoudtedly there is huge diversity in Browns, and there probably isn't a river in the country that hasn't seen a stocking of Browns from elsewhere sometime in the last 200 or so years.
The occasional Stockies I come across in rivers I fish, which are all not stocked apart from the odd rights owner who chucks a few in, are all horrible, thin and pale. They get stocked as fat 16 inchers and start to lose condition almost immediately.
I really don't understand why the Test, which is, after all, the home of fly fishing, and should produce wonderful naturally reared wild fish, is allowed to be stocked so heavily.

John Aston

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to fish a river whose upper 20 miles have never been stocked . In our bottom club lower reaches we do pick up the odd stockie from a mile or so downstream and I dare say the odd one goes further upstream, although I have never seen nor heard of one being caught. As the river is unusually rich in invertebrate life , thanks to clean , well oxygenated water running over limestone we are blessed with some very big fish -my best on fly is 5-1 and I had a 5-4 when trotting for grayling . They fight insanely hard , like chub on amphetamines - they bolt at huge speed for every snag they can. I can usually guess I've had a stock fish within seconds of hooking them as they fight very differently here , hardly ever running for snags and never running more than ten yards.

I am not keen on stocking at all. On one of our local streams we stopped it 15 years ago after getting a survey done by the Wild Trout Trust which suggested the water would be self sustaining if we gave it chance - and so it has proved to be, saving a grand or so year as a bonus . I have given a few talks to clubs for the WTT on our experience and it's fascinating to encounter the sometimes visceral objections some of the old guard have to giving a river a chance , with a bit of help from habitat improvement.

That said , I was chair of another club on the river Sam V. fishes and we had stocked for years - if we didn't we simply wouldn't have had a club as not only as we are on the lower reaches of trout water but members have grown used to catching stock fish of 1.5 -3lb weight . We spend 4 grand a year on stock fish , losing many of the survivors over the winter - but hey ho , it's cracking pike fishing come October/November time ....

theartist

Reaction score
I find the fin deformity statements interesting as can't recall catching a trout with them, would this mean they are natural fish? If so there sure is a lot about and they are thriving. Either that or i'm not looking hard enough, will pay more attention to the fins in future that's for sure, but if grayling are thriving naturally in many rivers is there an argument that brown trout are too?

Skoda

Reaction score
Not much I can add to the debate, but here's a pic of a brownie I caught chub-fishing the Wensum Feb 2020.
About 3lbs. There's a coarse fishing complex
Wensum Brownie (2).jpg
gravel pits, and a trout lake the other side of the river only a few hundred yards away.

Andy

bullet

Reaction score
Nice fish....imo 100 percent stockie, anal fin looks a bit wrinkled, and light colouring .

John Aston

Reaction score
Squiggly fin , especially pectorals , means a stocked fish.

Molehill

Reaction score
Regards fin deformity I have to disagree that this is usually the case of stock brownies, speaking as an ex fish farmer that worked on many different farms and included brownies for stocking. Those farms and managers that wished to produce fin perfect trout did so and many brownies went into lakes and rivers without a blemish.
It all depended on the farm and what their customers wanted to pay for, but perfect browns from fish farms were about in numbers.

John Bailey

Feature Writer
Reaction score
I find this debate fascinating because I have lived with it for years. It should not matter a jot from one perspective. A trout is a trout is a trout, as one post said, and that should be the case. But it’s not, really, as we all know deep down. A three pound brown trout is a lovely fish if it is a stockie, a miracle of nature if it is wild and river-born.

Ferox. This strain of browns was my passion for 20 years, and they should by rights be a char-eating sub-species found in glacial lochs, therefore I was interested in the comment that a huge brown was spotted in Loch Oich. Whilst Oich is in ferox territory, I am fairly sure that this is a relatively shallow loch with no char, so this fish, big as a pike, should not have been a true ferox. But it might have come in from Loch Lochy, or even Ness, so what do I know? And of course, historically, browns have grown massive in the Thames, for example, and there are few char there these days!

I like the comment that very few rivers anywhere in the world, come to that, have not been stocked at some time or another. From my experience, I’d say that the small browns in an Exmoor river like the Barle are as wild as they come on this planet, but are they? Who is to say that some Victorian busybody didn’t tinker with stocked fish there in 1880?

Mark’s fish on the Wensum did come from a stretch close to waters that are stocked, so it has to be treated with suspicion. Yet, there are numerous river-bred fish fifteen miles above the capture point, so, again, what do I know?

Like several of you, I don’t think that spots are definitive. I have seen almost certain wild fish with big spots, little spots, red spots, black and brown spots, and even no spots at all. Fins, though, say it all. Pectorals are a give-away. Dorsal too. Oh, and I don’t go much on colour. A wild trout caught in a flooded river can lose much, if not most of its colour. Fighting prowess? I like that. It makes sense and it sounds neat. Perhaps too neat, verging on wishful thinking perhaps?

The Test. When I was down there with Mortimer and Whitehouse I was struck by the huge passion for one pound wild fish, and a general distaste for three pound stocked fish. We are all purists at some level, but I was reminded of Simon Cooper saying that if the Test were not stocked, the pressure on wild fish would be too great and lead to at least a partial collapse.