Abbey Cross Angling Club

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
hi mate , just call in to rib valley angling shop ask for pete he will give all details, I come from wareside myself , pleased to know ya . by the way i think you have to be nominated by one of there members , so go make freinds with pete and he might just get you in .any probs get back to me and i,ll go see him for you

Last edited:

Weeman

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll do that. I go in there quite a bit so I'll see if he's in next time I'm at the shop.

Living in Wareside (i used to live in Ware), can I presume you are a member of Ware Angling Club?
Used to be a member and had some cracking chub from the weir pool.

Weeman

Reaction score
With a name like chubberbob I thought perhaps you had :)

I popped into Rib Valley today and spoke to Pete but he told me that unless I know a member it was not an option as Abbey Cross is a 'closed' club - never mind.

Shame though as they've got some lovely bits of river near to me.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
yes mate i love my chub , and yes i thought you had to know someone , mind you when i applied a few years back they wanted Around £200 a year plus joining fee and for the first 2 years you have to do 5 work parties or get kicked back out lol. sorry couldnt be more help.but one sugestion is to keep going into rib valley and get to know pete a bit more and he might get you in later

Weeman

Reaction score
I'll keep trying, you never know your luck.

Are there still loads of chub in the weirpool? I must pop down there and have a look, might try and join again.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
The Rib is a sad reflection of what is was when Walker and others were catching such great fish back in the 50s or 60s. Pity the last reach between Wadesmill and Hertford is so exclusive. Its not that many ever fish it. Or that theres many good swims. Just Hertfordshire etiquette to make it exclusive. The Mole, a similar sized river south of London, would **** on it from a great height.

Weeman

Reaction score
The sections of the Rib are what interest me most about Abbey Cross to be honest.

I know it was quite a river back in the day and its most probably a sad reflection of its former self but I love the river - its my home water (it flows through Standon) and I KNOW that there are some good fish to be caught.

Looks like I'll have to keep dreaming.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
well my old standon friend you just keep in touch when the rivers open , i have a private stretch of said river and i sometimes take a friend for a day , so dont despare . regards chubber

Weeman

Reaction score
Wow…..you lucky man. I'll definitely keep in touch.

I do fish it up around Standon occasionally - some good Dace and Trout this far up the river plus chub, roach and pike but nothing of any size. Love the place though as I fished at Standon as a nipper (born in Hertford, brought up in Hoddesdon).

Funny how you build an affinity with a water - all is right with the world if I'm beside the Rib or Lee…………..

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
my pleasure , i normally fish it for chub , but there are some good roach there too , I normally just fish it on a quiver or touch ledger on the move but its super fun had some great days there very snaggy hit and hope lol , last year i hit the biggest ive ever seen it snapped the 6 lb line like cotton lol. Normally down the wierpool i fish only 3 lb but not here lol. As i say keep in touch and we'll go for a few hours ,and if we get on then there will be more days lol.

Weeman

Reaction score
Sounds fantastic……roving around a small intimate river for chub is my idea of a perfect days fishing and if its the Rib - I'm in heaven, lol. Its the sort of fishing I do on the upper Lee and Stort.

I'll look forward to that (got me thinking of where the stretch is now :)) I'll bring the cheesepaste, lol

silkweed

Reaction score
Guys, I'm using this thread to save making another called Abbey Cross, hope thats ok.

I like in Walkern, near Stevenage, I'm a bailiff for a local club and desperately trying to get into Abbey Angling to fish the Rib which is close to me. I emailed the club who told me I have to be proposed by an existing member which is easier said than done when I don't know any Abbey Cross members. I would be breaking my own code of conduct if I were to wander about the Rib to see if I could find someone to propose me so Im after any help I can get.
Yes I have asked in Rib Valley but there keener to promote their own day ticket lakes and Rib over helping me with Abbey Cross, I dont blame them but I would love to fish the Rib.

Thanks