Absolute Beginner and Son!

C

Chris Bishop

If you're within 50 miles of me I'll do it up for the papers.

Matthew Cooper

Reaction score
Hi Brad
i to am new to the pleasures of fishing and have had a lot of great advice from fellow anglers on FM.
The articals by dave cooper(no relation) are great and got me off to a good start catching small perch and tench at my local waters and fell that with all this advice have become a much better fisherman for it.
i also take my 8 year old son who suffers adhd and have found that this has helped him and his concetration.

enjoy it and remember its not always about the size of the catch (in my opinion) but enjoying the experiance.
good luck to you and your family and happy fishing.

M

MaNick

WOW... i rarely read this forum, but this has got to be a unique thread!...

Hope etherything works out for you guys!

N

Neil Laing

Hi Brad,
I have only been fishing a few years but sometimes beginners remember the problems they first encountered and can help others.
I used to find experienced anglers could cast a float much further than me. Some days the float would sail out and other days it hardly seemed to got past the end of the rod!
Its not often necessary to cast out far anyway as if you keep low and step lightly the fish could be right under your feet.
However there are plenty of times when you want to be able to cast a lot further than 20 feet. You should be able to cast so it takes 20-30 cranks of the reel handle(assuming you have a fixed spool) to retrieve the float.
You have had good advise already but I'll just mention a few areas that could reduce casting.
1) Heavy line will drastically reduce how far you cast. Any more than 4-5lb test will make a light float useless. You could still float fish with 8lb line if targeting biggish carp or its snaggy but you would need a heavy float, say 4aa and above.
2) If its raining try shaking some of the water off the rod or wiping with a rag as the line could be sticking to the rod.
3) If your rod is a typical 2.5lb test-curve carp rod its designed to cast a ledger and wont have the necessary whip to cast a float efficiently.
4) Keep most shot near the float and also the deeper the water and amount of line between float and hook the more tricky casting is for a beginner.
5) Use a heavier float if you cant get the distance, it might make a bigger splash but if the water is 4 feet or more deep you should get away with it. Remember its the thickness of the tip of the float which effects its sensitivity the most. Use an insert float whenever visibility and other conditions allows.
I have a J Wilson Avon rod with float top and quiver top and would recommed it for a beginner. If you are on a budget this will be fine for lake float fishing but will save you buying another rod when you want to try ledgering.
I also think you should be careful to get good advise before buying kit and not buy mail order unless you have seen the product.
A few more tips which I hope will help.
1) Read Improve your course fishing magazine but dont think you need to buy all the products they push to catch the fish.
2) Definately speak to other anglers, I always say I'm a beginner and usually people will help. (some say they always use 15lb line and other they never use more than 4lb test but eventually you get the picture)
3) Keep a fishing diary right from the begining, I record mine on excel, one sheet per session with a template of prompts.
4)Keep experimenting with different presentations and bait, even if no one else has tried something. Trial and error works better than expecting someone to tell you whats best.
Best of luck.
Neil.