ABU 507 Mk2 opinions

caferacer

Reaction score
Ive been using ABU closed face reels for my river work for years and I think I might get the new 507 Mk2.Bigger spool for good linelay and no bedding in,a proper smooth clutch and 5 bearings-on paper it looks like the answer to a river man`s prayer,or is it?

B

binka

Ive been using ABU closed face reels for my river work for years and I think I might get the new 507 Mk2.Bigger spool for good linelay and no bedding in,a proper smooth clutch and 5 bearings-on paper it looks like the answer to a river man`s prayer,or is it?

Maggot Dangler might be able to help you out on this one, iirc he bought one but had some sort of itch with it which prompted him to do some kind of modification.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Hi the 507 is not bad once you overcome the manufacturing foul ups of the bobbin carrier that can be a real mare to attach the bobbin to but the biggest problem for me was the way the carrier moved around on it's central shift I ended up making a tubular shim it in now spot on. HTH.

PG...

Sent from my 8055 using Tapatalk

caferacer

Reaction score
Nice one.What are the dimensions of the tubular shim?I have access to a lathe and will turn one up.I will buy the reel this weekend.What sold it for me is the large spool and improved linelay.I love trotting a big slider at range and this might be the job.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Nice one.What are the dimensions of the tubular shim?I have access to a lathe and will turn one up.I will buy the reel this weekend.What sold it for me is the large spool and improved linelay.I love trotting a big slider at range and this might be the job.

Hi ..

What i did to make the shim was go to my local model shop and got a pack of brass sheet think there was 5 sheets in the pack all different thicknesses from memory i used a 5 thou sheet then cut a length just long enough to wrap around the brass mounting post and 5 mm longer than the depth of the carrier formed the shin into a tube (yale night latch barrel tools are the correct dia) then inserted it into the carrier with the ends sticking out both ends the cut small fingers in those sticking out bits and fold them out so as to prevent the shim moving assemble it all with a bit of light grease on both side of the shim and bingo nice and smooth and more importantly no knocking from the bobin catching the screw on cover under load .

I could do it a bit neater i suppose but it works well and is showing no signs of moving yet , the 507 gets used 2 or 3 days a week normally 6 to 8 hours a day with lots of casting and winding in with half decent fish connected so it gets tested .. .

The bobin mounting problem i had was that the leaves with the key holes in were bent back a bit too far so you could not latch the bobin in place and it would fall off so i decreased the amount of bend in each leaf just enough so that with the friction wound right up the bobbin can now be removed and fitted with ease , one note of caution if you do need to alter the mounting leaves be carefull the must all be the same else the bobbin is on an angle ....

Hope this helps some ..

PG ...

dicky123

Reaction score
I really love my new Mk11 Abu.

Used it today and got in a great rhythm, feed, cast, trot, wind in bait. The reel Is a total gem in my book. Today it was just too windy for a pin.

Richard.

mikench

Reaction score
Do all these reels have this problem or were you( MD) just unlucky? Surely a manufacturer like Abu would have fixed it by now!

Abu closed face or a centre pin? That is the question!

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Caferacer have a look at one first mate.
Then decide if you want a reel that big and heavy on a float rod.
Just my opinion mate.

ribblemeister

Reaction score
The thing is lads you should not have to mess about with a reel that has been supposedly field tested.
Mine was a complete disaster and after a couple of hours fishing was returned promptly to the shop.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Do all these reels have this problem or were you( MD) just unlucky? Surely a manufacturer like Abu would have fixed it by now!

Abu closed face or a centre pin? That is the question!

Sorry bout the delay in answering .

The answer is i do not know i would hope that i was an unfortunate one and landed a dumbo .

I have to say thou that now i have sorted the problems it is a superebe reel used it for trotting rivers normal flot fishing on canals feeder (small one ) on the pool i belong to and had no problem at all .

So if you get one that is upto the standard that mine is now at you got a goodun

PG ...

dicky123

Reaction score
I love mine. In a wind better than a pin for me. No or modest wind I'd opt for a pin.

The newer reel has a modest clutch, so I'd say (guess) the 5lb line would be maximum for the reel. But they are designed as a small fish reel, as I understand.

Once you get in a rhythm, they are a very quick reel to use, if it had a better, quality clutch. I'd give it 10 out of 10 rather than 8 out of 10.

Well worth the money, easy to use.