Abu 706

elliottwaters

Reaction score
I presume these have been reviewed before, but I’m a big closed face fan and after Santa in the form of ‘er indoors kindly bought me one for Christmas and its had several months of use, I thought I’d do a review.

Can’t complain about the pouch, the three spools and the spare pipe cleaner (chenille?) stuff and performance wise it works very well. I used it several times for trotting and the line pays off the spool nicely. The single pin pick up works OK and picks up line on the strike. To date, I’ve had no instances of the line getting caught in front of the spool and tangling in the bell housing.

As for the synchro drag, on my old 506 I had removed the anti-reverse thingy in order t play fish on the backwind as the drag proved pretty useless. However, on the 706 I was pleasantly surprised and on the lakes, it’s copied with nine and ten pound carp, albeit with the line bedding in afterwards. You also have the option of taking the anti-reverse off and playing on the backwind if you want to.

The build quality? I had read adverse comments about this and yes, the reel is made in China and looks a bit “plasticky”. However I think we sometimes forget that back in the 1970’s when the 500 series were produced a new 501 or 506 would cost over 20 quid and to produce a reel of comparable quality today you would be looking at well over 100.

Overall, not a bad a reel at all and when trotting, or light float fishing on still waters, particularly if it’s wet or windy, then its first out of the box.

jimlad

Reaction score
Thanks for the review...it's good to see someone agreeing with my comments about this reel!

I've owned a 706 for a year now, for use on the rivers. I agree with you, the line pays off well, the synchro drag works surprisingly effectively when playing a surprise chub. On the build quality, I think you've hit the nail on the head - things have changed. Gone are the days of the Abu 506, Mitchell 300s and the original Abu ambassadeurs,......there's no doubt they were built to last but they cost an arm and a leg at the time.

I'm suitably happy with the reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aebitim

Reaction score
My 706 works ok I am not expecting great things in the longevity department and dont use it that much, so all in all fair reviews of a fair product.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
well I can't really make my mind up about the reel, but I am erring on side of caution with my score as I don't think the reel will last more than a couple of seasons!

Jim,

I have just bought a couple more ABU Ambasadour multipliers and they are still made in Sweden to a very high standard :)

jimlad

Reaction score
Mark, it must be a recent change again, they had a period of making them in Taiwan and china.

elliottwaters

Reaction score
I think we sometimes expect too much from what is basically, budget gear.

I left school in 1972 and the “must have” reels of their day, the Mitchell 300 and the Abu 500 series cost about half a teenager’s weekly wage

The reels were well engineered, built to last but because money was tighter back and the reels had cost so much, they were carefully looked after, wiped down after outing, the moving parts carefully oiled and the internal mechanism regularly lubed. That’s why some of the “classic” reels of that period are still in use today.

Fast forward to today and to build anything like that quality now (especially in Western Europe) would mean a price tag of at least £100. Moreover, we (sadly) live in a throw away society where consumer goods are renewed rather than repaired and replaced for no other reason than something “newer” but not necessarily better, has been developed.

My point is that the 706 (and other budget and mid range tackle) is not meant to last two or three decades as Abu want you to upgrade after a few years With regular TLC, I’m sure I can extend its life, but to expect early 1970’s top of the range quality at today’s budget prices is unrealistic.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark, it must be a recent change again, they had a period of making them in Taiwan and china.

Jim,

The C3 Series of Ambassadeur reels (the silver ones) have allways been made in Sweden, its the cheaper models (sub £100, the red ones) that are now made in Taiwan and China.
I wanted to get a couple more C3 reels before ABU went down the ''China'' route with this model too...I can see it coming soon!

robertroach

Reaction score
I have one of these and its brilliant for float fishing, especially the instant line pickup, and it hardly ever tangles.
The only problem is the line sticks when casting sometimes and you have to give the line a little tug to release it. I think the pin does not always fully retract and the line then catches on it. I have taken it all apart and there's nothing obviously wrong.

Anyone else had this problem?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I love using closed face reels (yeah, ok, I'm an anorak) and have a fair sized collection. I don't think there's a single model that's absolutely perfect - all have the occasional (varying, of course) pin pick-up problem.

The 706 is a good model, a vast improvement on the 704 IMHO.

But, as an anorak, I have to admit my three faves are probably the DAM CFM "coffee grinder", the Olympic BM3 (like having a London bus under your rod butt) and the Silstar MG29.

Just personal choice. Gotta go, they're putting my strait jacket back on.....:D